PDA

View Full Version : Mains remote controls

BOAC
14th Jul 2005, 13:40
I'd be grateful if anyone can PM me with details of ANY (UK) mains remote switching that operates along mains wiring (not wireless). I bought a 'wireless' set from Maplins which claimed 'up to 25 metres in open air' and it tops out at around 12 in open air(!) so it is no good for the purpose and I am trying to get my money back - they say "it only says 'up to 25m' " so BEWARE!

I've googled till I drop and cannot find a 'wired' system.

Memetic
14th Jul 2005, 16:23
Hi BOAC,

I can't remember the particular site I have seen this sort of thing on but try a quick google for Home Automation it will turn up lots of sites with gadgets for remote controlling devices and some forums full of people into this sort of thing.

spekesoftly
14th Jul 2005, 17:06
Maplin's website mentions a 'fourteen day money back policy' - any use?

BOAC
14th Jul 2005, 17:35
Thanks all for rpelies - will process as time permits. The 14 day policy is being 'exercised' at the moment but I suspect they will argue that 'up to 25m' = 12 mtrs!!

spannersatcx
14th Jul 2005, 17:59
Well that means it should work between 0 and 25, don't expect it to work at 26'. if it's only working to 12 then it is not fit for the use it was intended and you are entitled to your money back as long as you return it within a suitable time, 14 days should be fine.

timmcat
14th Jul 2005, 19:24
Can't help on the original query, but I took a six month old wireless network card back to Maplins last month which I suspected to be faulty. No quibble, they offered me a refund or exchange (they never even took the thing out of the box).