PDA

View Full Version : Puma Pilots needed

MaxNg
14th Jul 2005, 12:34
CHC scotia Aberdeen are looking to recruit more pilots to support recent new contracts.

I have been told that Scotia would pay (transfere) any pilots training bond if they meet the requirements.

Are you L2 Puma rated?
Do you want a pay rise?
Do you want to work on an equal time roster (onshore)?
Do you want a better Pension (Hybrid final salary)?
When you eventually get command do you want to get paid for it and not share it with others because of some lame excuse ?

if you answer yes to all above call Steve Schappel on 01224 846025 He will be happy to talk to you.

MaxNg

SASless
14th Jul 2005, 13:32
Ah to be young again and have that on me licence!

Wing Nut still doing the training there?

mrwellington
14th Jul 2005, 15:04
Do you want to work on an equal time roster (onshore)?

Please elaborate:
......equal time = 180 days a year ?
Confirmed ?
What's a hybrid final salary scheme ?
Stocks ?

212man
14th Jul 2005, 21:01
SASless, wrong company.

I guess no pun intended with the reference to 'training BOND' ?;)

Jetboxer
14th Jul 2005, 22:54
Quote: 'when you eventually get to command...'

With Scotia, and their seniority system, that could be a long, long, long, long, long time!!!

If you want to be a career co-jo!?.....great move!

Scotia also have a habit of losing contracts. Last in, First out with no bridge left to cross! Tread carefully.

I'm just being devil's advocate.

Wizzard
15th Jul 2005, 01:40
Jetthingy

1. What alternative to the seniority system would you suggest? Colour of eyes perhaps? Willingness to share one command between three pilots?

2. The last two contracts won on the North Sea have been by Scotia.

3. Bristow tried messing with the last in first out system a few years ago and it cost them a few quid.

Back in yer box ya wee devil!:ok:

Wiz

MaxNg
15th Jul 2005, 03:43
Mrwellington

two rosters available

5/2/5/9/5/2/6/8 ( 5 days on/2 days of etc. called the monday to friday roster cos yer days on start on the Monday and on this roster you only work one saturday every six weeks)

Or

7/7

and thats days not weeks!!

both rosters mean you work 182 days

MaxNg

mrwellington
15th Jul 2005, 10:08
Thx MaxNg

And the pension ?

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jul 2005, 11:38
1. What alternative to the seniority system would you suggest? Colour of eyes perhaps? Willingness to share one command between three pilots?

Regular assessment of competence perhaps?, like virtually any other profession.

G

mrwellington
15th Jul 2005, 12:22
A landing is a landing.

Wizzard
15th Jul 2005, 13:05
Seniority System

When applied properly, the system should be used only to dictate the sequence in which pilots are asssessed for command, if the most senior candidate fails to come up to the required standard during training/assessment then he/she will not be promoted.

Given the length of time command slots take to come around these days - plus the high standard of co-pilot we are seeing in all three companies (only the most motivated can make it through the tortuous licencing malarkey) - failure is uncommon.

Wiz

Jetboxer
15th Jul 2005, 19:44
Wizzard, Max Ng,

I'm back out of my box!

For a growing company, a seniority system is not necessarily required. I admit, not having a seniority system becomes a problem when the company stagnates or contracts.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1.The promotion system within Scotia aberdeen (Co-pilot to Captain) has been stagnant for 2 and a half years, meaning almost all, if not all, of the co-pilots are ready, qualified, and capable of taking command. As I said, anyone joining at the bottom would have a long wait.

2.Scotia recently (2 years ago) introduced a 8/6 roster, only to have it removed a year later.

Also, has the pay deal you talk about been agreed, and when will it take effect?

Is the equal time roster in place. HOW LONG HAS THIS ROSTER BEEN AGREED FOR?

If the two are not in place, maybe you should save the recruiting until they are!

I'm going back to my box.

mrwellington
15th Jul 2005, 19:53
Thought so. Thank you.

Wizzard
15th Jul 2005, 21:24
Jetthingy,

All will be revealed in the next few weeks! Come and join us if you think you're 'ard enough!

Mr Wellington,

I think you should go home now, you've had enough.

Wiz:ok:

MaxNg
18th Jul 2005, 09:12
Jetboxer and all

Good point about recruiting early, However I was just giving everone a heads up of whats going on and as the company is very short of pilots it will need to recruit shortly and the best way to win pilots that are already trained is to offer a better package and this has been some of the argument we have used when we negotiated recently with the company to come up with the pay and pension deal we have out to ballot at present.

When the dust settles next week I hope to be posting the best pay and pension deal of the three North Sea helicopter companies by far.

Seniority System

Our company has operated this system long before I came to the North Sea and I hope that it will still operate such a system when I leave, and the criux of the system is basically very simple, YOU get YOUR turn in order and ONLY get the post if YOU are good enough.

Anybody got a better system?

To all co-pilots waiting for a command

Those before you had to wait, some for many more years than most (and not through any fault of theirs) so please be patient and Your time will come.

MaxNg

Blind
28th Jul 2005, 07:10
So the pay deal has been accepted. Well done to the CC for all the hard work. (MaxNg I know who you are). 5% pay rise this year plus 2% bonus and a good package for the next 5 years.

We do still need Puma pilots so thought I'd put this back at the top.

The equal time roster is also definately happening from October. You guys who went to Bond keep asking me about this, thinking of coming back???

PS If any of you didn't understand the 3 for the price of one digs. Bond needed a new Captain and only had money in the pot for one but had three suitable candidates. So they trained all 3 up and let them share the payrise. Fantastic work!!!! When will the 3 get a full captain salary???

BabyPuma
28th Jul 2005, 09:42
Well done guys! Sounds like a good package you have negotiated there, especially once the new roster is in place.

Blind:

Of course everyone is interested in the other companies pay and benefits negotiations to compare and benchmark it against their own. I would have thought that most pilots leaving Scotia for Bond did get what they were after. Different people aspire to different goals (luckily!) and a long term career in the North Sea might not be everyones cup of tea (even though the trap is set and ready to snap).

The only slight concern I have with Scotia is that they never seem to be able to get their Pilot numbers right! This post just proved the point. If those Puma pilots are so desperately required and hard to get why does Scotia not bring new pilots into the industry? Both Bristow and Bond have recently sponsored new pilots and paid for their instrument and type ratings. Yes, it can take some time but a CPL(H) holder can be up and running in 3 to 4 months - not that long.

Why employ all those (very well paid) contractors? Why not get rid of them, bring in new pilots at the bottom and make new commands? (No promotions since autumn 2003 I believe) Maybe I am missing some cruical piece of information?

Still over all a very positive developement, well done!

Regards,

BP (... not associated with any petroleum companies or their sub-contractors ;-) I've had this name long before them!!!!)

Blind
28th Jul 2005, 11:28
Firstly, rumour has it Scotia are looking to put 5 current cojo's through a command course in the near future.

Secondly I flew with the Flight Crew Manager last week and we are putting one person at least through an IR at this very moment.

BP, you are right to criticise Scotia's inability to keep hold of peolpe. The overwhelming majority of the guys who left us to go to Bond were both young and talented and have been a sad loss but they all acheived what they wanted. 3 other young guys left to do Air Ambulance and not a lot would have kept them on the North Sea.

The recent redundancies followed by buying them all back on day rates was mad, can't stand up for CHC on that one!!

Galapagos
28th Jul 2005, 23:01
Are you still looking for drivers?

MaxNg look at your PM

Wizzard
29th Jul 2005, 19:23
Half time roster agreed this week at Scotia:O

Wiz

212man
29th Jul 2005, 23:10
maybe Jessica Starmer should apply?;)

Blind