PDA

View Full Version : BMI Regional expands ABZ services

Richard Taylor
14th Jul 2005, 12:03
Been announced on local BBC radio.

Extra MAN & NWI flights wef Sept.

That's all I know,no doubt more to follow.

jamesbrownontheroad
14th Jul 2005, 12:58
bmi regional expands operations at Aberdeen - flights increased to Manchester and Norwich

release date: 14/07/2005

bmi regional announces today that it is to expand operations at Aberdeen airport. From 5 September, the Aberdeen based airline will increase weekday flight frequencies to both Manchester and Norwich.
Manchester services will be boosted to four direct flights every weekday with the introduction of a mid-morning service. Increasing demand has come from customers connecting to and from bmi transatlantic flights and the current growth in the energy sector.

Due to extra capacity requirements during the Offshore Europe 2005 Oil and Gas Exhibition during 6 – 9 September and growing demand in the energy sector, a third daily Norwich service will also be added to the schedule on weekday afternoons.

Crawford Rix, managing director of bmi regional, said:

”I’m delighted with the way that our traffic has developed from Aberdeen in recent months. This has given us the confidence to expand our existing operations and a 14th Embraer jet that was recently added to our all-jet fleet has enabled these extra services.

"Naturally, we will continue to evaluate and develop new routes, but I feel it is equally important for the future of air services from the north east that we continue to nurture existing operations”.

Passengers travelling on bmi regional benefit from the speed and comfort of an all-jet service offering complimentary in-flight food and drink and a choice of business or economy class seating on board. Fares can be booked online at flybmi.com or by calling bmi reservations on 0870 60 70 555.

ends

So, just when you thought it wasn't crowded enough between NWI and ABZ...... :E

*j*

Richard Taylor
14th Jul 2005, 13:30
Beat me to the punch !

Thanks *J*.

Wonder if demand REALLY has picked up so much or whether they are trying to steal a march on Flybe on NWI.

Scottie Dog
14th Jul 2005, 14:26
Based on Sabre CRS data at the moment it would appear that the extra flight operates Mon-Thu only. Still gives a pretty hefty wait for inbound transatlantic pasengers as it does not depart MAN until 1205, and the southbound flight arrives at 1135 which seems to miss the connections to ORD/IAD and the caribbean.

So much for the wording that suggests that these flights will help the long-haul services!!

Scottie Dog

jamesbrownontheroad
14th Jul 2005, 14:38
Hehe... No-one, and I mean no-one is faster with the Apple-C, Apple-V copy/paste routine on PPrune than yours truly... :hmm:

I always assumed that ABZ-NWI was a T3 speciality that BMI were allowed in on as a courtesy... I cannot believe that there will be enough demand to fill this many seats every weekday.

Are there any numbers for passengers between the two cities over the last six months, say?

*j*

PS... yes, there is, just found it on the CAA website.

April 2005: 4544
April 2004: 5672

Richard Taylor
14th Jul 2005, 16:05
Hmm...a drop of over 1000 passengers this year in Apr compared to the equivalent month last year. :hmm:

Looks like BMI are taking the p*ss !

Or taking T3's passengers !!

:}

LGS6753
15th Jul 2005, 16:29
The way I read the press release quoted above is that the NWI flights are from 6th to 9th September only, for the Offshore Europe Exhibition.

piston pete
16th Jul 2005, 10:53
Hmm...a drop of over 1000 passengers this year in Apr compared to the equivalent month last year.

The figures are distorted a bit by Easter being in April last year.