PDA

View Full Version : ALAE at Big Airways

reboot
26th Nov 2001, 00:43
OK we all keep moaning about the union and saying we should join the ALAE and get better representaion. Who is prepared to do it.

This means reps from each area, co-ordination we need to talk to each other.
What about techs we all need to be in this together (despite being shafted in the past by the techs, where is my authorisation pay!)
The existing union reps know all the systems better than others it would help if they were behind this. Adive from a company employee where this has already happened would help.

Come on lets have some volenteers we could all benifit from this. I want this to happen but I dont really want to do the leg work. I think a lot of us are a bit lazy (I am).

prenders
26th Nov 2001, 01:35
There are already a lot of us in ALAE. We even have a number of senior reps. The Techs can join as non-voting members. We are already part way there. If we can maybe use these pages, and Airmech to get together we can gauge strength of opinion and maybe force a change.

Litebulbs
27th Nov 2001, 13:05
Good luck gents! We tried to get the ALAE interested at representing the engineers at JMC. No joy! I understand that you can't expect union do all the leg work for you, but I expected more than a photocopied sheet of A4 paper explaining wot I already knew about recognition! We have about 70 certifying staff out of about 100 in the whole engineering department, but this still did not appear to interest them. I was at the worlds favorite for 12 years, and I understand all of your concerns with the AEEU. Having said that, their are some good LAE's that are stewards with BA, trying to fight for the LAE's as a group, but the battles are more with the full time tech stewards, than with the AEEU.
Having said this, if you get all the LAE's to join, then it might give the ALAE funds to become something more than they appear to be at the moment. Enjoy recruiting!!!

P.S. We are now trying with the AEEU, and we seem to be getting somewhere, but I will let you all know how successful we are. It has taken a few sackings and 1500 job cuts to show some of my colleagues that jobs for the boys no longer apply here!!

:rolleyes:

rocketboots
29th Nov 2001, 20:16
Reboot
Mentioned something similar on another post,i.e.BA Engineers shaft themselves.I and many others who i work with within my section have expressed an interest in having ALAE represent them,bearing in mind the majority are technicians.Basically to have any power and have a strong representation you would need the techs to be members as they are the majority within BA engineering maintenance.On the contrary this is a good thing not a bad one.We are all preety sick of the AEEU,and now need an aircraft maintenace union,similar to that in the states.
I am prepared to help with a break away from AEEU,if we can get 1 person from each individual section within BA,i.e a guy from say tech 1,a guy from tech 4,a guy from loghaul at LGW etc etc,to basically represent ALAE,with ALAES backing.I think that if ALAE were offered the chance to represnt say 7000 aircraft maintenance personnel at say £10.00 per monthh they may well be very interested.
This is an excellent oppurtunity to obtain some respect in the industry,with better salaries,conditions,and perhaps a chance to form closer links with say BALPA.
What do you all think??????? ;)

A and C
29th Nov 2001, 21:17
Back in 1991 when i left engineering at BA i was under the impression that progress was being made for ALAE recognition , it would seem that not much has happend.

As a member of both the ALAE and BALPA i would like to see a "super union" that would reprisent licence holders but dont expect to much as from this side of the fence BALPA dont look as good as it did from the other side !.

trapper
2nd Dec 2001, 03:28
I agree that this may be the way to go but would like to hear from ALAE members/reps to see if they would be interested. Certainly I don't think the AEEU is working for us as a group, what other options are there? Any thoughts?

screwdriver
2nd Dec 2001, 23:33
I would tread wearily when considering jumping from the AEU into the ALAE. I was involved in the ALAE in the early 80s and its taken involvement in another aviation union to realise that I was a bit naive in believing that the ALAE was the answer to the gripes we had back then. You need robust representation by a union with real power. By that I mean with officials having access to those with real power. Its a world away from a bunch of LAEs sitting around a crewroom plotting the downfall of the AEU. I would work within the existing union to improve the profile and aspirations of your profession. It wont be easy but the potential rewards would be greater, I feel.
Good Luck. but good luck