PDA

View Full Version : Jepps question

UnderneathTheRadar
14th Jul 2005, 04:39
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the Jep Enroute & Terminal package for Australia includes the AIP text (or Jepp version of)?

I had thought it was just a package for ERC, DAP & TAC but my CIR book gives Jepp references for AIP as well and so I'm wondering if that means the Jepp package has it all (or some).

If this is the case, what else does it have? i.e What airservices publications do I need to buy to complement the Jepp package (i.e. ERSA, PCA....)

TIA

UTR

PS If it does include AIP text anyone who wants to buy a brand new AIP book with 12 months amendment PM me! DOH!

maxgrad
14th Jul 2005, 08:01
Has AIP's as well.
About the only extra thing I use is the ERSA.

John Citizen
14th Jul 2005, 09:29
You don't even need an ERSA as the Jepps also have all that info too.

The only thing Jepps don't provide are :
- Visual Charts (VTC, VNC, WAC)
- Planning Chart (PCA)
- AIP Supplements / AIC's

maxgrad
15th Jul 2005, 11:10
spot on John but I find the ERSA better to deal with in that respect

AerocatS2A
16th Jul 2005, 13:36
I agree about the ERSA. The Jepps HAVE that information, but the ERSA is a bit more practical in the cockpit. I personally carry one Jepp folder (containing the AIP and plates for aerodromes I fly into), a company ops manual, and the ERSA.

YMMV.

Also, I have a laptop so all of the other documents, CARs etc, are available from the internet (only needed for reference on the ground.)

It sounds like you\'re doing your CIR at present, you need access to the CARs and other CASA docs for the exam but not for the flight test.

turbantime
17th Jul 2005, 09:21
Are the CAO/CAR/CASR/CAAPs available in downloadable format or do you have to pay to keep them on hard disk? One would think that if they're readily available on the internet then they should be free to download and update......or is this too rational?

I am too flabbergasted by the hike and will not want to renew my service when it is due but still will need to have an alternate means of access other than having to log onto the net.

AerocatS2A
17th Jul 2005, 11:30
As far as I can tell the CARs etc are not technically available for free download, there is no single download to get an entire document, however you can just download all of the links from the contents PDF page for each document. There's a bit of shagging around involved though, probably not worth the effort.

Atlas Shrugged
17th Jul 2005, 23:57
AerocatS2A,

Try here:

CAR 1988 (http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pastereg/0/51/top.htm)

and here:

CAA 1988 (http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/0/159/top.htm)

I'm not sure how often they update.

A

TurboOtter
22nd Jul 2005, 02:13
Does anyone know what the difference is costing would be.

What different packages of Jepps are available or more so what package would a say bankrunning pilot require to run around Eastern Aus with?

I have always been an AIrservices user however I am tending to what to lean towards towards Jepps.

Any thoughts /suggestions?

InTransit
22nd Jul 2005, 09:31
I changed to Jepps recently because of my employers requirements, the charts are different, but once you get used to the nuances, they really are the ducks nuts.

The price will change with the exchange rate, but I think you'll find for the basic package, which is the Australia Domestic Route Manual (includes high and low charts, approach charts, aip's, etc) is around about $550. That includes the one year amendment. If I remember correctly, the jepps are more expensive initially, but after the first or second year they work out much cheaper.

Just as a side note, I seem to recall ASA a while ago saying that they are going to start charging for their information, which would mean Jepps will go up in price. Anyway, good product...