PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre QF Captain Behaviour

Upgraded
13th Jul 2005, 23:56
Came into BNE this morning on QF A330 from Singapore. All was normal except for the fact that every 45mins- 1 Hour the skipper, in full uniform, would do a lap of the aircraft, walking down the aisles, smiling to passengers and having a look around.

I thought nothing of it the fist time, thought it was unusual the second and third times and when I woke up about 90mins from landing and watched him do it again, I was thoroughly perplexed. I guess that he would of done it 5 or 6 times throughout the flight. I saw him hand out some kids packs and help out a few other passengers, but don't they have to stay in the cockpit or the cot? In all my years of flying have never seen anything like this.

Does anyone have any idea about why he would do these periodic scopes of the cabin? His name was Capt. Xxxxxx Xxxxx. Maybe those at QF might have witnessed such behaviour before.

Hooroo

Upgraded

PS - He also assumed the old-school 'goodbye' position as the passengers deplaned, something I haven't seen any pilot do, especially Qantas for many years.

And you may assume you are extremely lucky I am in a good mood and didn't ban you for posting the pilots name. Not a good first post!!! :mad:

Go back and read the rules before you post again.

I congratulate the captain for putting a face to the voice. Shades of the old days - maybe Qantas is getting more human again! :ok:

Woomera

Capt Fathom
14th Jul 2005, 00:13
I guess that's one way of staying awake!

Capt Claret
14th Jul 2005, 00:16
Maybe he just wanted to have a stretch and prevent DVT.

Maybe his perambulations were his way of maintining contact with the travelling public in the current era of fear, where we lock the crew in a little cubby-hole.

Until the demise of the good-ole bifold door on the 146, I would often stand in the doorway and say good bye. Good PR I thought, and the pax seemed to appreciate the gesture too.

14th Jul 2005, 00:17
I dont know the man and have never flown the A330 but congrats to the Captain for putting a face to the name/title.
Many pax only ever hear a voice and thats the extent of knowing who is in charge of their lives.

I dont know where the A330 crew rest is located, but good on him for stretching his legs (especially if he cant sleep) and letting the younger guys have the front seats and do some work.

Great to see a Skipper bid farewell to the pax also.

How can you complain about that !!

Yon Garde
14th Jul 2005, 01:12
There are no restrictions on leaving the flightdeck to answer nature's call, maybe he chose to use the rear lavs. I often do this myself as it enables a bit of interaction with the pax, is good for DVT, and it helps me have good communication with the rear flight attendants, who I would otherwise never see.

Good on him! :ok:

Jetsbest
14th Jul 2005, 01:20
Know him, flown with him on A330. The story doesn't surprise me because he's a professional, competent, easy-to-work-with, happy camper with a balanced view of the world and a 'people' focus; oh... and an all-'round nice guy!

To the surprise of some it's actually not that rare in QF, but it would still be good for the organisation if more were like him!

Ron & Edna Johns
14th Jul 2005, 01:56
Good on the man! In an era where fear, paranoia and jumping at shadows now totally dominates, this is great to see. This is in stark constrast to some other Captains I've flown with who won't EVER venture out of the flight-deck "because there might be terrorists out there"..... :sad: Or contrast it with another skipper who, while you are taking a 5-10 min toilet break/leg stretch/quick chat with the F/As as to how things are going/quick chat with the punters, actually calls the cabin to fetch you back "because I was starting to get worried... security you know... blah blah..." God help this profession. :suspect:

The only bizarre thing about this behaviour is that it's regretably the exception rather than the norm these days. It needs saying again: God help this profession.

So, great to see someone regaining the high ground and injecting a bit of sanity into our lives again.

Captain Sand Dune
14th Jul 2005, 02:15
So the skipper got out of his seat to say g'day to his customers!

Good to see.

Only one person guilty of bizarre behaviour here methinks!

amos2
14th Jul 2005, 02:35
Yeah! Done the same thing many times on long flights to ease the boredom and to remind myself to never ever fly cretin class! What a mess they make!! Had an F/O do the same thing once and never saw him again! It's a jungle back there! :(

CallButton
14th Jul 2005, 02:47
Was on a CX A330 recently, travelling cattle class, and saw the SO on the flight doing the same thing. Later found out that the cabin crew had reported a 'funny noise' somewhere down near the toilets and the SO was routinely checking it out, while talking to pax, etc.

I believe QF also carry SOs on that service so, although it is perfectly acceptable to leave the flightdeck anyway, how do you know that there weren''t still 2 drivers up there? How do you know that the captain walking around wasn't a 'spare' i.e. a checkie, who was bored?

Upgraded
14th Jul 2005, 03:01
Firstly, apologies regarding the naming mistake. Despite the fact the comments were far from defamatory, the rules are there for a reason...

Next, I know that the person involved was the operating captain as I saw him sitting in the left seat when I boarded. I can also safely presume that there was an SO on board as well.

I think it is best answered by Jetsbest. From what I witnessed, I can believe everything you said in your post.

Just appears to be someone who likes their job and likes to do it properly..

Case closed.

Now, on to refining my online protocol.......

Upgraded

On eyre
14th Jul 2005, 03:10
Could it have been Peter Cosgrove in mufti walking the walk - hehe

The_Cutest_of_Borg
14th Jul 2005, 05:17
Its a long, two man all-nighter. So he went for a stretch every couple of hours and farewelled his pax...... bizarre?? I think not.

gaunty
14th Jul 2005, 05:36
amos2 mate you are probably old enough to remember the "urban myth"? generated in the days of the old two deck PanAm/BOAC Stratocruisers across the pond.

Apparently it was possible to appear from the cockpit on the upper level and regain entry to the cockpit via the lower deck without being observed from the upper.
The story goes that a bored crew appeared thus not long before landing and one by one sauntered down the upper deck chatting to the passengers and being conspicuous then not reappearing or be seen to return to the office before landing. :E

Aaaah those were the days, got to go on a Constellation in the early 70's :) but never made it to the converted B29 Stratocruiser :sad: another legend of the skies.:

http://www.aviation-history.com/boeing/377-1a.jpg

Normasars
14th Jul 2005, 08:18
Maybe just maybe there is a truck load of ego involved here and the guy just wants to be seen in all his regalia. After all this would be very typical of a great proporsion of QF Capts.

amos2
14th Jul 2005, 08:57
Jeez, Gaunty!...just how old do you think I am? I might have flown DC3s but that was in the 60's not the 40's.

Strewth!...I might have to amend my profile!! :p :ok:

Capn Bloggs
14th Jul 2005, 09:15
Norm,

At least most QF captains can spel...:suspect:

PS: I'll be watching to see if you edit your post.

gaunty
14th Jul 2005, 09:52
amos2 :ouch: ooops sowwy, they were still the queen of the skies until 26/10/1958 when the B707 went into service and I'm sure that DC3 I saw you in still had some factory warranty left on it .:8 :}

frangatang
14th Jul 2005, 10:00
Normasar.. what a **** you are.The captain could also be quietly checking to see that cabincrew are doing their checks properly as l know well enough that many pay lip service to it.L have sat at the back of a QF SYD NRt service and not seen one cabin attendant doing a walkround in that time!

Pinky the pilot
14th Jul 2005, 10:22
Norm; The terms bitter and twisted or wind up seem applicable to your post.:* Am yet to figure out which but may in all probability decide not to waste my time in attempting to do so.
Amos 2; I'm really curious. Did you ever find out what happened to the F/O?:E
And re the subject of the thread; well done that man!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

AIRWAY
14th Jul 2005, 10:23
Hello,

Very good action from the Captain, not seen often, like it was said many times before passengers do appreciate it and it is indeed very welcomed, it makes them more at ease knowing who is in charge and shows customer appreciation.

Donít forget a run up and down the aisle once in awhile and keep smiling :} :}

:ok:

Regards,
Airway

montys ex teaboy
14th Jul 2005, 12:26
Hey guys lay off that QF Captain. Maybe the guy had piles or it could be his liver was hanging out of his a***!

Make anyone want to get off their backsides.

Capt. Erebus
14th Jul 2005, 14:22
Don't entirely agree with the captain wandering around the cabin 5-6 times on a 7 hour something flight.

Once or twice maybe! Yes, that is good PR.

BUT......

1. Whether we like it or not, we live in a different world. The security of that flight deck including the pilots themselves should be paramount. Why needlessly expose yourself to those that intend to do us harm? A regular routine of walking around the aircraft is doing just that.

2. We are paid to pilot an aircraft. The captain is responsible for the safety of the entire operation. How can he or she do this from the rear cabin, or whilst handing out colouring books to kids?

It's not on. Those of you in the above postings who think that it's a great thing need to wake up. We are professional aviators after all.................

Chris Higgins
14th Jul 2005, 18:21
Normasars, give it a break mate! The poor bloody captain does his job, and from all accounts, does it really well and you go and take a cheap shot like that one!

morning mungrel
14th Jul 2005, 22:39
Well gee Capt E, if he can't exercise his responsibilities while he is awake walking around the cabin and doing a bit of GOOD PR (not as if QF don't need it....) as well, how the hell is he going to do it ASLEEP IN THE BUNK?

AT502
14th Jul 2005, 22:56
YAY for that QF captain! Sick of been treated like scum on QF flights. Nice to see a staff member making an effort to be nice to the poeple that help to pay his wages!;)

Now they need to work on those bloody hosties with the attitudes they stomp up & down the plane with:}

I have to say though that 5 - 6 laps of the plane is a bit much - 1 or 2 would be enough! (as a pax I would start to think the guy is a tosser and wants everyone to go 'oh wow there is the captain'.)

Hey I'm just jealous that he gets to wlak around in his plane, mine only has 1 seat and as for DVT, what the hell is that???

AT502:cool:

Capt. Erebus
15th Jul 2005, 02:40
M.Mungrel.

I hear what you are saying but in this case the flight is only 7 or so hours long and it's a 2 crew operation. He or she wouldn't be allowed to sleep in a bunk.........:rolleyes:

What this guy apparently did was way out of order. He should be in the flight deck. That's where he is paid to be.

gaunty
15th Jul 2005, 02:47
AT502 :ok:

Wish he'd been on the last LAX/SYD flight I was on. After TO and an hour or so nap I awoke to an aircraft that looked like the aliens had taken away the cabin staff and disconnected the "poing" thingy. It was only after the Capt appeared for a comfort break and saw most of the call lights on that we saw an FA with that startled rabbit look you see on people who have been awoken from a deep slumber.

Still 'n all we are actually at the point where everyone inc. the techies can go to bed for the bulk of the flight and if a pax needs a glass of water or anything he can do what we all do at home, shamble into the kitchen and help ourselves. :p

Time Bomb Ted
15th Jul 2005, 05:49
Well I wouldn't call that bizarre behaviour. I would if the Captain ran down the aisles with his underpants on his head singing "Roll out the barrels" with something long wedged between his butt cheeks.

Or trying to check out of the hotel only wearing his hat and birthday suit.

Now that would be bizzare.

Capt Claret
15th Jul 2005, 06:07
Norm,

That seems a somewhat cynical position to take. Is it coloured by your experiences at Southern?

If you'd stayed where you were you'd have a jet command now, as one of your contempories has just checked to line. ;)

Sandy Freckle
15th Jul 2005, 07:01
Actually TBT, that ain't so bizarre for us really.

And the birthday suit trick was done by an Ansett pilot with the initials BH I understand. Helped in getting him sacked, or so goes the legend!

:ok:

tinpis
15th Jul 2005, 07:10
Gosh...and the travelling public can access this site?
:ugh:

gaunty
15th Jul 2005, 07:12
ROFLMAO.:}

I would have given him a raise and put him in charge of the "lets not take ourselves too seriously" Department

My favourite movie is still the original "Flying High".

tinpis
15th Jul 2005, 07:16
Sandy ..then there was "SpiderMan"
But we wont go there.......:}

Capt Claret
15th Jul 2005, 12:34
Sandy Freckle

If the BH you refer to is the same one I'm thinking of, I heard his demise was brought about after he poked a hole in the bottom of a cardboard lunch box, poked his old-fella through the hole and placed it on the bun inside, called the F/A to the flight deck, and then exclaimed "look what I've got in my lunch"!

Apparently she took a dim view to his humour! :}

Sandy Freckle
15th Jul 2005, 17:40
Thats the one Claret. This was just one of his previous very creative incidents....:ok:

Keg
16th Jul 2005, 00:53
I try and get to the front door if I've done a half decent landing. Sadly, it isn't very often! :E

Enema Bandit's Dad
16th Jul 2005, 03:43
Word on the street Keg is that your landings are so bad that you've been known to make passengers colostomy bags spill open! :uhoh:

Normasars
16th Jul 2005, 05:06
Capt Claret thats a cheap shot if ever there was one re SAA. If we all had crystal balls we would walk funny wouldn't we!!!
BTW obviously desparate for capts at yours

Capt Claret
16th Jul 2005, 06:25
Norm, what's cheap about it. You made the generalisation that QF captains are egotistical, and you work for them. I just wondered why you thought so lowly of your company's captains.

Now, do you want to be the pot or the kettle?

4SPOOLED
19th Jul 2005, 09:20
As a CPL student with my career geared towards a airliner like QF, i find the actions of this Capt Brilliant!

Good on you Mate!!

It shows that there is still some humanity in the profession that i cant wait to be involved in.

I remember the days when i was a kid flying, going into the flight deck and meeting the crew, it was those people that made me want to take to the sky.:ok:

fly_dragonfly
21st Jul 2005, 03:57
PS - He also assumed the old-school 'goodbye' position as the passengers deplaned, something I haven't seen any pilot do, especially Qantas for many years

On a QF 737 from Melb to Syd recent the Captain did that as well, was most surprising, but nice to see, he looked like a very happy young man (probably his last sector for the day :E )

B772
21st Jul 2005, 04:25
Not an unusual action. I have walked the aisles at odd times usually nights to keep the blood circulating.

Sights I have witnessed include:

A Capt introducing himself to all the F and J passengers prior to departure. (Asian airline)

A Capt sitting down for 5-10 mins with some elderly pax in F class. (Asian airline)
A TWA Capt walking the aisle (at night) chatting with paxs and signing a menu card when requested.

Ansett Capts post 1989 farewelling paxs

A QF B767 Capt inviting pax to give their business card to the cabin crew for a draw to see who sits up front for the landing in MEL.

It is company policy for some airlines including American Airlines to farewell paxs upon deplaning and showing them the cockpit if requested.

Keg
21st Jul 2005, 07:01
A QF B767 Capt inviting pax to give their business card to the cabin crew for a draw to see who sits up front for the landing in MEL.

Ah, the good old days! :{

surfnsun
21st Jul 2005, 11:45
Well done to the Captain in question. Great PR and great for preventing DVT

As for Normasars....

....Um, yeah, right, whatever......

Binoculars
21st Jul 2005, 12:03
And the much anticipated bout between Captain Claret and Normasars turned out to be a fizzer. Normasars bounced out of his corner dancing and spinning and throwing verbal hooks and crosses. Claret yawned and waited till he'd finished, then landed a huge left hook to the jaw.

Normasars went down, got up uncertainly and flailed weakly at mid air, but a gentle push from Claret was enough for the brash challenger to hit the canvas. The crowd booed, then yawned and hoped the next bout would be more even.

:8

Capt Claret
22nd Jul 2005, 05:15
ROTFLMAO Binos :}

and I was trying to be so grown up and mature too! :E

Capn Bloggs
22nd Jul 2005, 05:20
CC,
ROTFLMAO
This is not in the new manual. WTF does it mean??

Capt Claret
22nd Jul 2005, 05:30
Bloggs

It means, what I did when you line trained me and used to announce your impending visit to the little room with the statement, "well I'm off to give birth to a ......"

Capn Bloggs
22nd Jul 2005, 05:36
CC,

My arse you did! :ok:

Capt. Erebus
23rd Jul 2005, 02:22
Jeeez you guys.

I shake my head in dis-belief at some of the above postings saying that it is ok to wander around the cabin in flight for PR purposes!!!

When are you all going to wake up and realise that what you are doing or perhaps endorsing, is NOT good PR but a display of your neglect to the safety and security of your passengers and aircraft.

As I said before, times have changed and whether we like it or not, our job is to protect the flight deck and fly the aircraft. There is time on the ground before or after a flight to instigate good PR.

standard
23rd Jul 2005, 04:36
Normasars, clown!, maybe you are jealous?

Good on the skipper nothing like a bit of good PR.. after all he is the Boss, his a/c and he can do whatever he likes!

Good to see there are plenty of us out there who dont mind stretching the legs and going for a walk inthe cabin, also you never know who you might meet in ones travels
;)

Sheepdog
23rd Jul 2005, 11:51
Capt Erebus, it is obvious that have very little experience by post and by the choice of your name very little brains.

Good PR and good on the Capt for putting a little personality back in Airlines.

Capt. Erebus
23rd Jul 2005, 11:53
Here we go again......isn't ignorance bliss?

BTW Sheepdog.....I think your choice of name wins the 'NO BRAIN' award :hmm:

Jet-Base
25th Jul 2005, 16:57
why is this thread still going?

Chief Chook
25th Jul 2005, 22:07
Capt inviting pax to give their business card to the cabin crew for a draw to see who sits up front for the landing Especially popular on the QF flights into Bangkok Airport (and its environs).