PDA

View Full Version : BA engineers shaft themselves again.

trapper
22nd Nov 2001, 04:09
So true to BA tradition together with excellent union leadership some BA engineers have decided to tear up their contracts of employment and work for time off in lieu (all locally agreed of course)> Needless to say union supports this move (so do we really need this union if deals are to be local?).Now I may be lone voice here but it will really P me off if I can't get my contracted annual leave when I want because some "colleague" has done a deal, undercut me, and worked for nothing other than time off which he has booked at the same time I want off. It grips me even more that other other people (baggage, dispatchers etc still get paid as per their contracts). Your views pleas Gents.

reboot
22nd Nov 2001, 21:40
I didn't know this was happening. Where has this occured. I know loaders are still getting overtime, apparently its cheaper to run on OT than to employ more staff.

cirrus01
22nd Nov 2001, 21:43
Yes we want names and places to confirm this dodgy practice :confused:

trapper
23rd Nov 2001, 03:30
Main base. Contact your senior union reps for exact clarification. They should have made this policy clear to you by now. If they haven't, ask why and post reply here.

rocketboots
23rd Nov 2001, 14:22
What are you moaning at????
You have a choice.Pay your monthly subs to a completley useless union that has no conception about aircraft maintenance,or show your dissaproval,cancell your membership,get a bunch of like minded individuals together,get people behind you,and join ALAE.You see if everybody in aircraft maintenance i.e. engineers paid ALAE what they paid the AEEU,then its not rocket science to see that,thats a fair few thousand bob in there pocket to represent you!!.By law BA have to recognise ALAE as your union if there is enough of you.
Its your choice my freind!!!!

prenders
23rd Nov 2001, 20:48
What a bloody good idea, we at LGW have been consistantly misrepresented by the AEEU and have even had deals done against the vote of the areas involved. As from Jan 1st, when AEEU merges with the MSF, the name will change to AMICUS. Thereby dropping the reference to engineers and with it all pretence that they actually represent us and not the company. Oh yes, and the fees are going up. They are now almost twice as much as ALAE. :mad:

rocketboots
23rd Nov 2001, 22:13
By my guess,i reckon that most people are aware of pprune,and that there must be someone prepared to take up the challenge.Me personally i`d love the challenge,but too much on me plate at the mo,but would certainly help in anyway i could

Ali Crom
27th Nov 2001, 15:33
Trapper,
I can confirm this working for time off in lieu is being carried out, although as far as I'm aware it is rather isolated. I have voiced my disapproval to one of the engineers who is doing it and told him of my concerns that this will set a precedence as far as management are concerned.

As usual its engineering which seems to have to be the department which has to tighten its belt yet again when it has already outperformed many of the others in the past with respect to cost savings.I know only too well there are many who have who are less fortunate than us and have or will have lost their jobs and I am grateful that I still have mine but it does p1ss me off when I hear rumours about how little some groups in other departments seem to be contributing towards helping the airline out of this mess e.g excessive & unrealistic pay rise expectations, cheeseboards & a £500 allowance for overnight stopovers in Tel Aviv etc.
Guess I'm in the wrong job & represented by the wrong union! :(

time-ex
30th Nov 2001, 02:10
It's true - BA News this week has article of BA engineering staff (CDG) working overtime for apparently nothing. I'm sure the other sections in BA are really "impressed" when they see this sort of thing. STOP IT NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: time-ex ]

Blacksheep
30th Nov 2001, 05:25
The beginning of something that ends with LAEs working like the poor b*ggers in the City? There, the majority routinely do 65 hour weeks because its "expected". The basic pay is much the same as an LAE - about 28,000 a year. The carrots held out are the annual bonus paid according to the results of the company and the chance for promotion to a higher basic pay position. The bonus amounted to 22,000 for my own acquaintance last year, 50 grand in total - certainly, but equivalent to just 18 pounds an hour overtime and no promotion. By moving to another bank this year he got a more senior post, but now works from 0700 to 2330 every day - from when Frankfurt opens until Chicago closes, and he won't get a bonus next January because he won't have put in a full year. They don't HAVE to do those hours understand, but if they don't do it voluntarily there's no bonus and no prospects. In fact they get retrenched at the earliest opportunity in the next six-monthly administrative reorganization. Its all just a loyalty con-trick.

It seems BA may be heading in this direction. The only thing in LAEs' favour is that with JAR66 and the restrictions placed on 'grandfather rights' for BCAR licences, there soon won't be any licenced managers to keep the aircraft flying during a big strike.

Through difficulties to the cinema

raitfaiter
30th Nov 2001, 10:52
Um, Blacksheep, isn't there a little bit of a difference between some desk wallah being too tired to operate the stapler after his 65 hours and overtired aircraft maintenance crew..... :rolleyes:

Blacksheep
1st Dec 2001, 17:19
A lot of difference, but I just mention it as an example of what's in store once a few people start working for free. It becomes expected from everyone. Then it becomes the norm. Merchant bank ordinary staff didn't always work double hours for free, it began with the trading floor where the longer a trader stayed in action the more Porches he collected. Then it spread to the back office staff and finally became the norm for the whole industry.

The time to stamp on it is before it begins.

Through difficulties to the cinema

trapper
2nd Dec 2001, 03:17
In the mean time we BA guys are currently saleried staff without the perks. Oh, and its no good mentioning about licensed managers because they wouldn't be needed, there's always a colleague who will step in and cover for you, and probably for free!!