View Full Version : Massey or BAE Adelaide?

fluxos
13th Jul 2005, 16:05
Massey or BAE Adelaide?
Hi there,

After much considerations and research, I have finally decided to attend my IR course at either Massey or BAE Adelaide.

Massey - Their flight training seems to have garnered a lot of negative feedback on pprune. However, the fundamental reason I still wish to do my training there is because Massey is the ONLY university/school that has an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Singapore CAAS (I’m Singaporean. Duh). Thus, I thought that this might give me an added advantage if I applied to Singapore Airlines. Moreover, I have heard from relatives that Massey has some sort of deal with Singapore Airlines that they will accept the top 10 students and upon further training to become FO.

BAE Adelaide - Though more costly than the norm, it seems to be one of the better schools around? Again, I hope that this apparent 'prestige' would help me with future prospects.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

winglet_fever
13th Jul 2005, 16:56
Hi there,

I was previously from Massey. I've never heard of top students from Massey being trained as FOs in SIA.

To what i know is that there are only 3 Singaporean there at the moment and they are at different stages of their training.

The biggest class of Singaporeans even had was about 3 years ago, and there were only 6 of them.

Keke... seems like history has gotten the chance to prove the "top 10 students" thingy!

=P

fluxos
13th Jul 2005, 22:54
Any idea which choice would be a wiser one?

Have you felt your Massey choice acted against you? (Did you apply for SIA? you have the Singaporean accent)

And what were the cost involved for Massey? Somewhere in the range of 100-110k AUD? How long did you take to complete the course?

Thanks =P

winglet_fever
15th Jul 2005, 07:21
there are pros and cons to taking CPL privately.

Massey's course is about NZD$140,000. Its a 4 yr course squeezed into 3. You can complete in 2.5 if you have an engineering dip with good results. It is however on a case by case basis. Duration also depend on weather, number of students, aircraft availability etc... basically in GA, its like in the army... a lot of times you rush to wait, and wait to rush.

i personally feel that the few advantages of graduating from massey are:

1) it has a MOU with CAAS. This makes conversion of NZ licence to Singapore a little easier by allowing (might) you sit the 9 every interesting CAAS ATPL exams.

2) possible shorter training period in SFC (this depends on which phase SQ deem you are suitable. Might even have to retrain all over......... or............ direct into learjet)

3) the licence is YOURS! its like a passport to look for flying jobs anywhere in the world (there are jobs for low hour pilots but its not easy to find). For SQ cadets, if they were to fail their flying phase, all the theory exams that they have sat, i.e. ppl, cpl and frozen atpl papers, will not and cannot be used to grant them licence. For them to fly privately in singapore, they will have to sit all those exams all over again. (*****Can anyone confirm this?*****)

4) your flying licence comes with a degree that you are interested in! studying something which you have passion for will itself generate motivation.

Disadvantages

1) Like driving, most of us will develop some form bad habits. perhaps thats why SQ prefer fresh blood.

2) its NZD$140,000 compared to the S$18,000 which SQ cadets have to payback to the company when pass out. You will be heavily in debt.... haha..

3) the route to CAAS's ATPL exams will be more or less self study. It will be a huge test of self discipline.