PDA

View Full Version : Massey or BAE Adelaide?

fluxos
13th Jul 2005, 14:45
Hi there,

After much considerations and research, I have finally decided to attend my IR course at either Massey or BAE Adelaide.

Massey - Their flight training seems to have garnered a lot of negative feedback on pprune. However, the fundamental reason I still wish to do my training there is because Massey is the ONLY university/school that has an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Singapore CAAS (I’m Singaporean. Duh). Thus, I thought that this might give me an added advantage if I applied to Singapore Airlines. Moreover, I have heard from relatives that Massey has some sort of deal with Singapore Airlines that they will accept the top 10 students and upon further training to become FO.

BAE Adelaide - Though more costly than the norm, it seems to be one of the better schools around? Again, I hope that this apparent 'prestige' would help me with future prospects.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Split Flap
14th Jul 2005, 05:49
Somebody is pulling your chain if they think Massey has a 'deal' with anybody. Oh wait..... maybe burger king....

Massey058
14th Jul 2005, 06:29
There are a lot of students that come from Singapore, but I honestly don't know of any deal. There is certainly a lot of negative comments on here about Massey but like with anything a lot of it comes from armchair experts or people with second hand information.

I will PM you some contact email adresses that may be of help

aviator's_anonymous
14th Jul 2005, 15:22
BAE Systems Adelaide have just recently changed their name to FTA,
Flight Training Adelaide..........
They still have the same contracts at the college and stuff tho......
But just wondering, are u wanting to do the IR course at the College or at their Training Centre?

ZK-NSN
15th Jul 2005, 00:36
Burger King.... :p :p :D :ok: Harsh, damn funny but true split. :E

fluxos
15th Jul 2005, 05:27
I'm thinking of doing it full time.

That means its the college one then.

I did some checking and it adds up to grand a total of 82k AUD if i decide to do my course at Adelaide.

Just curious, why ask?

nike
15th Jul 2005, 11:40
Serious? AUS$82,000!

Is that the actual cost of aviation training in 2005?

What do you get for that?? How long does it take?

How much for the Massey Course in NZ?

Thats a cool chunk of change.
Do most people just take loans or are there still those who have come from a previous life?

What sort of job prospects do people have on completing the course? As in: has the number of opportunities increased over the last 10 years or so, so that taking on that kind of debt is viable?

:eek:

masseygrad
15th Jul 2005, 14:53
I trained with a few singaporeans at Massey (2002) and at the time they told me that when they finished their flight training they had to finish their B.Av. then they had a good chance, although not gauranteed, of getting into SIA. The two that I knew are both flying B777s now.

Don't know about the 'Top 10 students' thing. When I was there weren't as many as 10 Singaporeans anyway.

I do remember something about the Singapore CAA giving special recognition to the Massey IF training.

But, can you just do IF training without being part of the B.Av. program? I thought that they didn't accept 'casual' students (i.e. non-B.Av. students, as they called them at the time) anymore?

Massey certainly has copped a fair bit flak in the past. Some of it deserved, some not. I'd say if you're looking for a bush flying GA job then you'd do better off elsewhere. But if you have a chance of getting into an airline such as SIA at an early stage then the Massey training could indeed be very beneficial.

the maori mobster
15th Jul 2005, 23:21
kee ora

hey fella, you must be joking when you say you can get a job with SIA

a couple of posts have hinted that if you do your training through Massey then you can go places. well that's true. you can

learn to fly again through a good school
work for burger king
come fly with me at Air Waka (courtesy of the Pipi Foundation, thanks aunty donna)
work for massey

the list goes on

about 15 years ago they have a deal with malaysian but they soon realised massey wasn't up to scratch.

Waka Air is going great through. always getting a governement handout from aunty helen. just don't tell anyone.

$82 g's for your course. now you really must come and see me. i'll charge you a little less but give you heaps of flying.

is this $82g's for just the IF or all your flying? cos if it's just for your IF flying then man are you getting ripped. what are they training you in? a 737 or something?

uncle bully and i can sort you out with all your flying skills, drop us a line and we'll train you real good.

car kitty anon bro

fluxos
16th Jul 2005, 09:29
82k is for Adelaide's 1year CPL course.

Includes everything. (accommdation on site, meals, amenities,
uniform, all flight training as per the outlined hours, all ground
training and examinations, all equipment required for training, use of text books and course notes, and basic stationery items, full use of the Learning Resources Centre and Internet facilities, course Graduation Dinner on successful completion of training)

But apparently, it seems that it would be better if i head to Massey (Many Singaporeans who went there got jobs at SIA) partly due to the MOU with CAAS Singapore which does play a part I am sure.

But another consideration is the cost if i were to study at Massey. It would roughly add up to almost be twice that of Adelaide(roughly 140k AUD)

masseygrad: Yea, i'm considering the B.Av not just the IF.
nike: In Singapore, banks do not provide loans for studying overseas. So you gotta have deep pockets.

blueloo
16th Jul 2005, 11:55
I would take BAE - they are geared up heavily for Airlines - QF, CATHAY, SAA, and others. Pros - excellent ground school. Really enthusiastic ground instructors, good course notes. Aircraft in excellent condition with all the good stuff installed, Fairly good library resource centre. Cons - a very strange mentality from the flying side management- very bizarre maybe an Adelaide thing, or a ex air farce thing. Treat students like kids and forget the fact that students are customers and pay a lot of money - its as if you owe them something. Dodgy college liason man and women (if they are still there) - promise you lots of help and dont give any.

Accomodation is reasonable. Food/catering disgusting.

snipethecat
17th Jul 2005, 20:52
Massey definitely had some form of agreement in 2000ish with regards to Singaporean students. As I recall it was based on the students average marks over the course rather than just the top 10.
Massey has had it's fair share of people bagging it over the years but it does a good job of training what it gets. As with most organisations there are a few knobs around.
I'd do what 058 says and contact Massey and more importantly SIA to get the real story.

Good luck.
STC.

fluxos
17th Jul 2005, 22:57
Wow, fantastic!

Looks like Massey would indeed be a good choice, especially so if this agreement is still ongoing.