PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Launches 8 New Routes To Britain

phil_2405
13th Jul 2005, 11:07
RYANAIR LAUNCHES 8 NEW ROUTES TO BRITAIN
4 TO LIVERPOOL, 2 TO LONDON, 1 TO NEWCASTLE & GLASGOW

LAUNCHES EUROPE WIDE SEAT SALE - 3M REASONS TO VISIT LONDON

In London today Ryanair, the largest passenger airline in the UK-European market and the number one carrier of overseas visitors into London unveiled 8 new routes for this Winter’s schedule including two new destinations with daily flights from London Stansted to Toulon in the South of France and Krakow in Poland. Ryanair also unveiled four new routes from its Liverpool base to Oslo, Riga, Carcassonne and Bergerac, as well as a new route from Newcastle to Oslo and from Glasgow Prestwick to Krakow. As part of this expansion a fifth aircraft will now be based in Liverpool from 27th September next.

Ryanair also announced this morning that it would launch a major tourism drive to encourage visitors to come to London by releasing 3 million seats at a price of just £1 or €1 plus taxes which have gone on sale on Ryanair’s website at www. ryanair.com for travel during August, September and October. This seat sale will be backed up with a Pan European £5 million advertising campaign over the next 3 months featuring London and a range of other great British cities.

Speaking this morning in London, Ryanair’s CEO, Michael O’Leary said:

“Ryanair decided to bring forward these route launches and this seat sale from September to the middle of July because we believe the best response to last week’s terrorist attacks is for ordinary people to continue to live their lives as normal, and to continue to travel as before. It is more important than ever that the leading players in London and British tourism such as Ryanair make it even more attractive for visitors to come to London this Autumn and show the terrorists that we will not be put off by their atrocities.”

“We are delighted with our two new routes to London from Krakow in Poland and Toulon in the South of France and we are particularly pleased with the continued expansion of our successful Liverpool base which is growing rapidly. We expect that traffic at Liverpool will continue to grow, particularly as the city becomes Europe’s capital of culture in 2006.”

“These 3 million seats went on sale on our website at Ryanair.com this week and will remain available for booking until midnight on Monday next for travel during the months of August, September and October. However since seats at these low prices during the peak Summer period are a rarity, we would encourage all visitors to London to snap them up quickly as there will be huge demand for them.”

jetstream7
13th Jul 2005, 15:14
Classy quote from O'Leary....

“Ryanair decided to bring forward these route launches and this seat sale from September to the middle of July because we believe the best response to last week’s terrorist attacks is for ordinary people to continue to live their lives as normal, and to continue to travel as before. It is more important than ever that the leading players in London and British tourism such as Ryanair make it even more attractive for visitors to come to London this Autumn and show the terrorists that we will not be put off by their atrocities.”

I'm not normally one to bad mouth Ryanair or O'Leary, but this stinks of opportunism.

Using the tragedy of the 50+ murdered in London as a to promote your new services

:mad:

Scottish Flyer
13th Jul 2005, 15:29
It seems not insignificant that last week a Polish LCC CentralWings announced a route from Warsaw to Edinburgh commencing November. Looks like Ryanair is making a quick response with the Prestwick to Krakow route. In launching Krakow from Stansted Ryanair are making another incursion into EasyJet territory - though EasyJet operate from Luton on this route.

MarkD
13th Jul 2005, 19:04
jetstream7

FR had a similar sale and press release post 9/11. Some might say the rebound in air travel, especially at LCC level, owes at least a little to this "damn the torpedoes" marketing.

MOL is only echoing the sentiments of every British official from HM the Queen down. I'm sure it's a view the likes of the Bearded One would endorse (although Virgin Atlantic's website has nothing to say). BA will of course do nothing - their press page is busy eulogising Lord King.

MOL is of course pushing FR and his own retirement fund but if it actually helps rather than hinders UK tourism what's to moan about. Don't let your prejudices against FR's less savoury business practices hit you in the ass on the way out of this thread.

jetstream7
15th Jul 2005, 21:59
MarkD

1) I am not prejudiced about Ryanair's (less savoury... your words, not mine) business practices, nor am I prejudiced against them in any other way - in fact they're excellent operators in what they do.
Do not mark me as another FR basher - nothing could be further from the truth

2) There is a time and place for everything, and this was neither the time or the place for this piece of advertising

3) A question... what would your reaction be if you were a family member or a friend of a victim to this type of advertising ? Remember when composing your reply, that at the point FR kicked off this campaign that not all the victims had been identiifed and that it was only a week after the 50 murders had taken place.

MarkD
16th Jul 2005, 01:46
jetstream

I don't pick my opinions depending on whether a mate of mine was involved. I am extremely fortunate that none of my nearest and dearest were involved in the calamity that struck London. If I were involved personally, I should hope that all who knew me stuck two fingers up at the b@stards responsible and got on with their lives - including visiting the city where it happened and enjoying themselves while doing so.

jetstream7
16th Jul 2005, 21:48
MarkD

You're missing the point.

This isn't about the public at large sticking the metaphorical two fingers up at the murderers.
What you explain in this context is quite correct.

However, the question is whether it is appropriate for a business to use an event like this as a method to promote its operations. Remember the context. Not a week since the act, not all murdered identifed (and to this we can add, many still in hospital).

Jamesair
16th Jul 2005, 22:54
Totally off-subject (Ryanair) but MARK D might be pleased to hear that on a trip to the West End of London yesterday I noted that Kings Cross, Kingsway (near Russell Sq.) and Oxford St were all packed with people going about their business, showing that Londoners are getting on with their lives in spite of the bombers futile and pointless efforts.

MarkD
11th Aug 2005, 16:23
Advertising Standards Authority ruling (http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/non_broadcast/Adjudication+Details.htm?Adjudication_id=40129)

7006 fan
11th Aug 2005, 19:34
This is a very painful subject to contemplate. The attack was dreadful but life must go on. The Government wants to promote England as safe and so forth, we are as vulnerable as any other country. Did the Sharm el Shiek attack result in additional promotion of the resort, did Beslan result in 'come to Russia' and so forth... A few years ago the UKwas being hit by bombs, Manchester, Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Baltic Exchange, introduction of the 'wall of steel' in the City of London, none of these resulted in such adverts (to my recollection)
The adverts are not in the best taste but they do conjour a bit of the 'feeling on the street'.
Although historic, is it any worse than the Carling advert 're-enacting' the Dambusters raid, if I were a decsendent of a family who drowned in the bursting of the Mohne or Sorpe dam I might feel a little upset that the action was being used to promote alcohol. (not suggesting the action was a war crime, at the time the country was at total war and any method was considered fair). Or is it fair game to use the opposition/loser for promotional purposes.Not trying to start an argument or anything. Just grateful that the United Kingdom is a country where we are granted the right of freedom of speech (provided one does not say anything to upset anyone who is not of Anglo-saxon descent!!)

;)