PDA

View Full Version : Annex 14 Aerodromes update

OverRun
13th Jul 2005, 04:22
By chance I saw that ICAO have issued the new 4th edition (July 2004) of Annex 14, Aerodromes, Volume 1, Aerodrome Design and Operations.

I got it via on-line order from their website, which is refreshingly fast, efficient, and even reasonably priced (I must be getting old - I remember when you had to write a letter to them to get the details, and then write again with an order, and it took months before the mail-ship returned bearing their gift).

I'm not close enough to speak with assurance on the differences from previous editions, but noting the dates of ICAO meetings, they include Code F aircraft clearances (and ICAO have come out with "the width [of the runway] SHOULD not be less than 60m" for this, the A380). There are a lot of visual aid, marking, electrical, safety management system, OLS, and emergency planning changes. And enough detail change in dimensions to ensure that the unwitting and unwary get caught if they use an older edition.

Of minor interest, it also comes with the 2002 supplements to the Third edition covering the contracting states notified differences. Belgium has an interesting discussion about why parts (much?) of the Brussels/National Airport don't suit the code F aircraft at present, which is a good read if the A380 doesn't fit your airport either. But what someone was doing in the distant past when he built their 02/20 runway at 50m wide is not explained. Perhaps he used an older edition for the dimensions. . . .