PDA

View Full Version : Ah...don't ya just love the new touchy feely HR methods?

SASless
12th Jul 2005, 22:45
EXPERIENCED IFR OFFSHORE CAPTAINS & CO-PILOTS: S76, AS365, 412. APPLICATIONS RECEIVED ONLY AT www.chcglobal.ca (Careers link). CHC Global Operations is a division of CHC Helicopter Corporation, the world's largest helicopter operator.

Please note that we will only make contact based on demand for additional personnel. Learn more about CHC at www.chc.ca .

Ah, the personal touch....ring us up ol' boy...let's chat and see if we have common ground....care to stop by and see the operation...let's stop down the pub for lunch shall we.

What an insult to professional pilots....as I see it. Trucking companies in the USA are smarter about the way they hire their truck drivers than this.

Seems to be the modern Human Resources mindset....do it our way or hit the road.

(No...it ain't sour grapes....have not applied to them...nor really care to...with an attitude like that up front...makes one wonder how it would be if you hired on.)

Am I being old fashioned or something....am I wrong to think anyone hiring "Professionals" should do better than this. (Air Methods, Inc in the USA does the same thing....so it isn't just CHC.):mad:

Heli-Ice
13th Jul 2005, 02:54
You're damn right you're old fashioned! :p

A lot of companies have this approach to hiring their people and some of them are so polite that they don't even bother you with a reply.

SHortshaft
13th Jul 2005, 03:43
Come on folks play the game.

If they don’t trouble you with a reply it is probably your fault…do you request a ‘read receipt’?

Heard of one Helicopter Company’s HR Dept where their staff turnover was higher than that of the pilots. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

reynoldsno1
13th Jul 2005, 03:51
One HR dept I had the misfortune to be associated with was known as the Party Club, as they were always having farewells.
Load of slogan spewing tw*ts...

Brian Abraham
13th Jul 2005, 04:11
Recall a message passed down to me from Esso's HR (remember when it stood for Human Relations) saying "our reason for being is to provide advice to senior management - not to talk to the hired help". The three most senior pilots in the organisation received letters from HR saying "we are pleased to advise you that you salary increase this year is zero". Cant say they were dishonest can you. I wonder if all the other staff had letters saying "we are displeased to advise you of a salary increase"

goaround7
13th Jul 2005, 04:23
Can't help comparing the gist of the CHC text with a recent experience with a multi-national industrial giant requiring a humble KA200 co-pilot:

- advert was descriptive and lengthy;
- relocation expenses, schooling, pension, leave etc. all provided;
- process was smooth and you got a reply;
- candidates selected for interview were telephoned, emailed and provided with an airline ticket to attend;
- all candidates (that I know of) were advised of the outcome within two weeks and sent very pleasant letters;
- successful applicant was immediately sent to Flight Safety.

Aviation companies however, tend to regard pilots as an annoying, reluctantly necessary expense. An advert like CHCs is abrupt and sends out a message that you need to be a tough guy/gal to work there as this is how you will be treated. Maybe that's how they do they treat their pilots ?

paco
13th Jul 2005, 04:50
It's a shame, because the new(ish) Chief Pilot is a nice guy! Perhaps he ought to talk to them more

Phil

Whirlygig
13th Jul 2005, 06:31
It all went to racksh1t when they stopped calling themselves "Personnel Departments". I love winding up HR Depts by calling them "Personnel" - great fun; they hate it! Love winding 'em up even more for not spending their training budget and blowing their expenses budget. Never yet met one who understood finance (sorry, money!), tax, payroll and pension which is a tad worrying as well!

Sorry Sassy. but that recruitment "method" has been around for a long time in all manner of industries. Doesn't make it right though!

Cheers

Whirls

giveitsome
13th Jul 2005, 10:38
HR, Human Resources or Huge Rogering!!!!!!

Love folks that pretend they have your "best interests" at heart, and while you are making the company $$$$, they do, when you are not, out comes the rogering. Trick is to play the numbers, First on last off etc, Climb the Totem pole to Check & TRG, or become the Chief Pilot etc.

NO I wouldn't apply to CHC Global as things ain't what they used to be. Trouble is there is always some one willing to "get some time up" and hence throw themselves at the mercy of operator demands for fewer and fewer green back.

Concept is not new and will continue. Watch out for the mass retirements in the next decade as everyone gets too old to hold a medical. Companies will train from within to cover the experience gaps and insurance premiums and offer "exciting ICUS programmes" that take you three years to get a decent command while you are logging ICUS and being paid a little bit above a co-pilots wage.

Personally I love being told by BLUNTS how do my job-NOT!!!!!

HR = Hardly Reliable!!!

GIS

:suspect:

SASless
13th Jul 2005, 12:45
I now feel a little bit better about this.....no one came out to thrash me publically over this....I must not be the only one that thinks the helicopter industry is filled with inept managers.

The simpletons that think they can call for the prospective employees to complete an online application....thus putting each "resume" into an Excel spreadsheet format so they can filter the thing by hours or type or some combination of factors to find the "correct" candidate fail to understand. Six months from now...when they go to search....good folks are in jobs and their wonderful "application" file is woefully out of date and they will continue to have problems hiring the "perfect" candidate and will fall right back to the old thing of hiring whoever is available.

A bit of human touch to it....tracking folks that you are interested in....keeping in touch and talking about upcoming positions....works a charm. But, what do I know.

I think back to the old days of Bristow....when George Puddy was in the end office on the second floor. That was the way it is supposed to be. It was called Pilot Admin.....not HR.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jul 2005, 13:08
Out of interest, has anybody ever come across an aerospace industry recruiter who has actually taken the time to understand the skills and real needs of the job they're recruiting for?

Apart from a few small firms where the working managers did the recruiting themselves, I never have. I just wondered if there's some paragon of personnel-virtue out there somewhere I've not yet met.

G

Ian Corrigible
13th Jul 2005, 13:43
Genghis,

Your time would probably be better spent searching for the holy grail than for a 'paragon of personnel.' I've never met anybody in the industry with a good word to say for the discipline. The 'rawest' observations on personnel (Whirls - thanks for introducing me to a new hobby: HR baiting...:E) I ever received was from a US Army Colonel. Apparently, their reputation is just as bad in the services !

Genghis is spot-on, though - these days, personnel staff seem to appear on the scene with absolutely no understanding of the industry or its dynamics.

"PULL"

http://www.kiowapilots.com/forums/images/smilies/shooter.gif

I/C

chopperchav
13th Jul 2005, 15:28
Always nice to have first interview with someone in HR. They have just done a course on 'How to interview people' and no matter what your character or skill set, if you dont give them the answer they have been trained to expect a little cross goes in the box.

Horrible creatures!

Fake Sealion
14th Jul 2005, 08:26
Chopperchav !

That name sounds interesting?

Images of a helo painted white with a thin blue stripe along the tail boom.....and of course Burberry upholstery.

Sorry.......back to the HR thread.

FS

:ok:

MaxNg
14th Jul 2005, 08:30
Question

What does a HR manager use for a contraceptive ?

Answer

His personality.

:E

MaxNg

rotorwing
14th Jul 2005, 11:45
'Tis a pity that the smellyist of our lot always seem to float to the top. If they were ever competent at what they started out as they wouldn't be in half the places they are today,