PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom Navigator 5

Wing Commander Fowler
12th Jul 2005, 21:57
Hi Chaps - anyone tried Tom Tom Navigator 5 yet as a gps mapping system and do you have any thoughts?

Thanks

gas path
12th Jul 2005, 23:58
I've just 'upgraded' to TT5 and it's being used with an IPaq 5550.
It does seem easier to use and besides an issue with the 'bluetooth' receiver easy to set up. FWIW if you use a non TomTom BT receiver, you would need to set it up as a 'other NMEA cable device'!!! details I eventually found on TomToms website support.:*
It also has the address by post code, and the option traffic and weather via a mobile phone.
Also comes with maps of the whole of western europe.

edit to add; I believe it doesn't work with ipaq hz47xx and some of the other PDA's.........................yet!

Wodrick
13th Jul 2005, 10:02
Lots of info here Pocket GPS World (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com)

jimgriff
13th Jul 2005, 19:13
I got my upgrade yesterday having ordered online direct from TOMTOM for a lot less that it will retail for and I think it's the mutts nuts/ canine cahoonies/ dogs b0ll0cks. Its fab.
Easier to use, more stable . more bells and whistles and it works just fine on my IPAQ 3950.

Now where did I leave my car????:confused:

spannersatcx
13th Jul 2005, 20:41
I brought TTN3 in April and there was a notice on the tom tom website that the update/upgrade to ttn5 would be free. Lo and behold 6 weeks after I brought it the upgrade (downgrade as some would say) is released and they want a ridiculous 60euros for the upgrade. The only way to get updated maps (even though they have the data) is to pay the rip off merchant that is tom tom 60euros. They are effectively refusing to support a product that was 6 weeks old, I have been conversing with them to no avail so I am now threatening legal action for supplying a product not fit for it's purpose, so many roads missing (including where I live for the last 5 years) M6 toll missing etc etc

If you go to the website mentioned above have a look at the forums for ttn and and the list of bugs etc etc.

TTN in itself works fine, I just have a beef with their so called support or rather lack of it, I even mentioned the bugs listed from the forum, and they admit there are some and a patch will be released this week, 4 weeks after it's launch, hmm.

You can also get a speedcamera database from the above mentioned site free for the UK, or you can pay another 60 euros for tom tom to supply a 12 month supply from them, bit of a no contest on that then.

I guess if you go straight to ttn 5 you may well find it good, but when you see it compared to ttn3, I'm afraid they fixed something that wasn't broke. Yes of course we need updated maps, but the rest of the so called upgrade is questionable.

Rant over!:{

Wing Commander Fowler
18th Jul 2005, 16:21
Thanks for your kindly replies chaps and sorry for my late input but been away with the chicks......

My TomTom 5 which is NOT an upgrade does not have the european maps - only UK. Have looked into buying and it appears they are not yet available. Is it possible that they would include them in the upgrade but not the full version really???

Mine was only purchased this week too so they can't use the "old stock" excuse. Anyone any ideas where I can get the european maps from and would it be possible to copy them from an existing disc or SD card???

Help!!!! :{

spannersatcx
18th Jul 2005, 18:05
Did you get it for a pda or was it a tom tom go thing?

If for a pda, how may disks did it come with? If around 7 to 9 disks then you should have all the maps?

Wing Commander Fowler
18th Jul 2005, 19:24
Hi Spanners - thanx for your most prompt reply. It's Navigator 5 not Go and was purchased for the PDA, actually as a package that Dixons sold me (including the ipaq). There were no discs and the UK maps were on an sd card. Now, running my skull and crossbones up the mast, would anyone be so helpful as to place a copy of these discs in my possession....... errhum? Hehe! :eek:

spannersatcx
26th Jul 2005, 16:46
Wing Commander Fowler check your pm's!

crewmeal
29th Jul 2005, 07:05
Finally bought a 300 go version for my Renault Clio and its fine apart from the UK maps being out of date. Some roads I use in the Midlands that have been built for years are not recognised by the software, and it states 'unnamed road' Also I found you need to position the unit as near to the windscreen as possible otherwise the GPS drops out at times and it looks like a fair ground ride!! Maybe I need to purchase an external aerial.

The simcard provided does not allow any additional downloads so a further expense of a new card maybe required.

Also I have a Nokia 6230i and the bluetooth operation keeps dropping out and its become impossible to use the traffic mode. However the tomtom list only provides for the 6230 version.

If you remove the simcard from the unit you will loose all your 'favourites' so beware!!!

I have found the customer relations so complicated and non existant. - Altogether a good product but no back up to support it

spannersatcx
29th Jul 2005, 11:29
The map data is supplied by teleatlas, so it's never Tom Tom's fault! they tell me. The problem with some roads is that although they may of been there 5 years or so, if the road has not been adopted by the local authority it more than likely won't be named or sometimes shown, i.e. the road where I live, from receiving the data, which may already be 2+ years out of date it then takes them a further 4 months to encode it, at least that's what they trell me anyway.

I've just had a lengthy conversation with with them as I threatened legal action against them, see my post above, and they have agreed to supply me the upgrade at a 50% discount.

There is lots of info at this forum (http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums)