PDA

View Full Version : The AIB Strikes Back

Taffer
12th Jul 2005, 21:26
Around Summer time last year, I started my application process for the Royal Navy, with preference being for officer aircrew.

Had my usual visits to the ACLO, a half day out on a minesweeper, and a 3 day visit to Yeovilton - which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Went for my FATS soon after and passed for all 3 categories, with high scores for pilot and observer.

So far, so good.

Attended my AIB in the new year - I failed, with a comeback time of 6 months. It was suggested that I join the RNR to 'learn the subtle nuances of being a Naval officer'. I was rather confused by this, as I am well aware of the role of an officer, having been a member of my university O.T.C. My ACLO was similarly confused, and thought my O.T.C experience would be sufficient.

Another suggestion made was that I try to get a job with a supervisory role, to gain experience of managing people. I am now working as a dispatcher at an airport, and am responsible for managing and coordinating the turnaround of an aircraft.

My questions are:

1) Will the board be expecting a dramatically improved performance in view of the fact that I have attended the AIB before and know the ropes, as it were?

2) Is my present job the kind of thing that would count as management experience?

3) How many of the officers here failed their initial interview boards, and what did you do to prepare for the second attempt?

I'm hoping to go back to the AIB around September/October, once I've spent some time getting flying tuition.

If you've made it all the way to this sentence, thank you for reading ;) , and thank you in advance for any replies.

EESDL
13th Jul 2005, 07:30
If you've got time on your hands then do not fret!
What ever you do, do not dare think that you know better than the interview staff!!
Take it on the chin and go back, maybe with a bit more humility(!) A wild guess but OTCs, UASs are not the ideal training grounds for future Officers. They may work for some but may give others a false sense of their own ability/authority/position.

Ignore the fact that the people interviewing you probably have not seen an aircraft for many years but have the company policy scripted on their lap whilst reeling off those questions.

You've done the right thing, shown willingness/motivation and look forward to your return.

Do not be downhearted. Keep us all updated.

action_lynx
13th Jul 2005, 11:51
Hi Taff,

Have to agree with EESDL in that the OTC doesn't really give you the best impression of what life is like in the RN as an officer - it just shows that you're keen and have already explored the possibility of joining the military.

Having been in the careers service I was never that keen on pushing the RNR route either.

The AIB will obviously look at the fact you have been before and they will be looking for improvement - however, they will be much more interested in the fact that you have made efforts to improve (your work at the airport is ideal).

As for the flying lessons - Save the cash and go on holiday fella! It really has no bearing on the way the AIB will look at you and it is of little use through flying training.

Hope all goes well :ok:

AL

PS 'Subtle nuances of being a Naval Officer' :p Don't think I have any subtle nuances! If I did have I'd like to think I'd have been told at my last medical...

Si Clik
13th Jul 2005, 16:55
Taffer,

If you have been asked to come back after 6 months that is very good news as the standard wait time is 12.

Be critical with yourself about why you failed. Leadership is the key and carries the most weight and it wouldn't surprise me from you comments that this is your weak area. Have you done one of the Leadership Development Course at Collingwood. If not why not.

Not all are asked to return so talk to your ACLO get refreshed on why you failed (he knows), and get to it.

Si.

PS Paying for your own flying is just a waste of cash! It will have no bearing at AIB.

Impiger
13th Jul 2005, 18:27
Frivolous comment time:

I've got three naval officers working for me and not a subtle nuance among them! Is that subtle enough?

Fanois
21st Jul 2005, 11:45
Really don't bother with flying lessons, apart from perhaps a couple to see if you like it (!).

You may end up learning the "wrong" way and have to "un-learn" when EFT comes up. Like the man said, go on holiday...

PS: IMHO all of the above

Taffer
21st Jul 2005, 14:09
Thanks for the comments chaps!

As for the flying, I've done enough to know I like it (7 1/2hrs gliders, approx. 6hrs powered - including 10mins at the controls of a Junglie Sea King!).

My present ACLO and his predecessor never mentioned the leadership course at HMS Collingwood, nor is there any mention of it on the RN web site. I think I'll phone the careers office and find out some more.

As for my debrief with the ACLO, I was told that I had done well in everything except the PLT (task completed in half the allotted time, but not enough presence by me as a leader - worked well as a group member though), and the competency based interview (not enough managerial/supervisory experience).

As for going back with more humility, I didn't go to the original board thinking I was God's gift - if anything, I was rather nervous (fear is healthy in small doses, I suppose). Sorry if I gave that impression.

Now, where to go on vacation......:rolleyes:

airborne_artist
21st Jul 2005, 14:24
Why not set yourself up something adventurous/challenging/worthwhile for a vacation?

Walk/bike/sail across some interesting terrain, perhaps. Could just be in the UK, could be further afield.

Find a way of building/testing your resourcefullness, and then tell the AIB about it.

They'd be impressed, I reckon, far more so than sculling around in a 150 at £130/hr.

action_lynx
22nd Jul 2005, 08:21
Good idea AA!

Taff - Simply pack yourself a bergen, grab your passport, get to Gatwick and jump on the first aeroplane they'll give you to somewhere exotic - I remember a few of the guys got out to the Far East. Great for a bit of an adventure!

All you need to be able to do is prove that you have the cash to get back! All the YOs just flash their new gold cards! :}