PDA

View Full Version : Have you operated the housesizer in a C401

stevemd11
12th Jul 2005, 16:02
Looking for C401 drivers. Going to be flying a C401; what some of its bad/good habits? Ever been on one engine at or near GW with a Aft CG. Whats a good ‘0’ thrust setting. What did you like, dislike about the aircraft? Tips for hot starts? Thanks in advance Steve

Tinstaafl
14th Jul 2005, 16:34
Like nearly all light twins they have abysmal OEI at max weights.

The fuel system logic is the same as the C310. Make sure you're thoroughly familiar with it. It's fairly complicated at first, especially if 1 or two slipper tanks are fitted in the engine nacelle baggage compartments.

Excess fuel fed to the engine is always returned to the MAIN tank for that engine, no matter which tank the fuel was originally fed from. So, prior to using AUX you need to burn about 30 mins (if small aux's) or 60 mins (if long range aux's) from the MAIN to make room for the returned fuel. If there's insufficient room in the MAIN then the fuel gets dumped overboard once the MAIN is full.

It's important to burn from the AUX's as soon as you can. AUX fuel is not available to crossfeed to the other engine. This means that if a donk stops any fuel in the same side AUX becomes dead weight (although I've often wondered if leaving the mixture in ICO & running the HP pump would transfer it into the same side MAIN?).

Fuel in any fitted slipper tank(s) must first be transferred to the same side MAIN before it can be used. If you're going to need the slipper fuel check to make sure the transfer pump(s) work long before you will need the fuel. With the transfer pump on you'll see the same side MAIN fuel gauge show an increasing quantity. Obviously you'll need to burn something out of the MAIN first...

If only a single slipper tank is fitted then you'll have to use X-FEED for the other engine to access the fuel.

It's a Continental IO520 so hot starts can be problematic until you're familiar with the aircraft. Generally running the boost pump for a minute with the mixture in ICO prior to start will help. You may still need to be ready to tickle the HP boost pump to keep the engine running until it settles down. If you hold the HP pump on then you'll cause a rich cut - hence 'tickle' the pump.

Hope you get one with the crew door. Can't remember if it was an option or standard fit.

Take care with the CG & payload/range trade off.

Onan the Clumsy
15th Jul 2005, 21:45
Great airplane, and I second everything Tinstaafl says.

The front door is a big help, especially if you're hauling cargo. I think it was an option, because I only remember it on the 402s

Careful taking corners as the MLG supposedly doesn't like side loads.

Lots of room up front, very comfortable to fly and lots of room on the floor to put your duty log, but watch the fuel selectors if you do that.

If you see your PIC put his hand out of the storm window after take off, remember that he only has his fingers out there so don't shove your entire hand out :ouch:

She'll take the weight just fine - especially if you distribute it well, but that was with both of 'em running.

And I'm not sure if the spar AD is relevant in the US now, but you might want to check your a/c is compliant.

I never had problems with hot starts (I thought it was an IO540 in that a/c btw)

They certainly fall out of the sky on final but controlled all the way down, so you can do a high approach pretty easily if you want.

Where are you going to be flying them? cargo or pax? You're going to like it.

Oh one other thing. They didn't like us moving the elevators, though they seemed to be ok with it if you support both sides when you move them (in the preflight).

Check the nut on the trim activator too, it hink one went in from that coming off...though I might be wrong.

We had one with a tank in the nacelle, but i thin kit was for alcohol, not fuel - presumably for de-icing, not drinking purposes. :}

ferrydude
16th Jul 2005, 16:43
I never had problems with hot starts (I thought it was an IO540 in that a/c btw

Very doubtful, all of the 400 series Cessnas left the factory with TCM engines.
I doubt seriously if an approved conversion to a Lycoming exists.

18greens
19th Jul 2005, 20:15
What does Housesizer mean?

Dream Land
23rd Jul 2005, 08:00
My 2 cents,

I have no 401 time but loads of other 400 series, as far as hard starting goes it shouldn't be a problem unless you are operating out of high altitude airports. My advice for long engine life is not to run the boost pump unless the engine is cranking first and I am a firm believer in a three minute cool down prior to shutdown.

My other tip would be if you lose an engine after takeoff, lower the nose and prepare for landing.

Good flying!:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
24th Jul 2005, 13:04
We used to run 'em fully rich. I read somewhere of an operator who made this his SOP and believed he got extended engine life. Maybe this is where my outfit got the idea from.

We also usede to have a cool down period take two inches off six minutes out, two more at four mins and IIRC another two inches at two mins out. That cooled everything down gently and also gave an acceptable start to the arrivals procedure.

Riverboat
31st Jul 2005, 00:54
You'll like the C401. It is mostly what others have said, but one other thing: its a bit noisy in the cockpit! Good headsets are essential.

It is fine on one engine at gross weight; don't listen to that suggestion that you should think of landing straight ahead. As long as you fly at the appropriate speed (blue line speed after obstacle clearance), it will go up like most other piston twins - 200' to 300' a minute.

Don't think of running the engines at full rich - that is another load of rubbish. Just lean as normal and the engines will be fine. Very good idea to keep the engines under 1200 rpm for 3 minutes though before shutdown, to allow the turbine to run down, but that is common knowledge and you'll get that drummed into you.

I have never heard of any problem with the main gear legs, and I am pretty familiar with the C401/C402 types.

As already stated, it is just like a wide Turbo C310.

Enjoy!

Big Pistons Forever
1st Aug 2005, 21:37
There is a huge AD on the wing so I think you will quickly see most examples grounded as beyond economic repair. If you do end up flying one watch the CG as like all short nose twin Cessna's it's easy to load past the aft CG.

Flik Roll
14th Aug 2005, 09:38
18 greens...as i understand it...

You push the stick forward and the houses get bigger, you pull the stick back and they get smaller and smaller and smaller the they start getting larger again :)