PDA

View Full Version : Titan 737 in fumes divert

newswatcher
12th Jul 2005, 15:49
From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4675657.stm)

TopBunk
12th Jul 2005, 15:53
Hmmmm.....BHX to AGP and they divert to STN? Now when I did geography that wasn't anywhere near the direct route and with fumes in the cabin, it would appear to be sensible to divert to the NEAREST AVAILABLE airport. SIDs from BHX would take you south towards SOU/BOH then over the channel. I hesitate to question the command decision, but I wonder if the fact that STN is their homebase was a factor?

jackbauer
12th Jul 2005, 16:07
sensible to divert to the NEAREST AVAILABLE airport
Think you will find it's a lot smarter to divert to the nearest SUITABLE airport. That includes considering the availability of fire services,runway length,approach aids,weather,fuel,pax handling and a whole bunch of other stuff you seem to be unaware of. The nearest AVAILABLE is not neccessarily the best choice.

JW411
12th Jul 2005, 16:26
jackbauer:

I quite agee with you. I used to be BHX-based and I always reckoned that STN was the place. It had everything including the hi-jacking team.

I was never convinced that LTN might be up to the situation.

LHR and LGW would have been the VERY LAST places.

SOU and BOH would NEVER EVER have entered my mind.

All in all, STN is the absolute BIZ if you are in trouble or even just perhaps being hi-jacked on the way!

Curious Pax
12th Jul 2005, 16:29
Probably the most pertinent fact in addition to the above is that Titan are based at STN.

JW411
12th Jul 2005, 16:41
Curious Pax:

You are quite right in noting that Titan are based at STN.

Let me tell you that I have never worked for Titan but I have been based in BHX years ago on a similar occupation and I have to say to you that it does not take very long to get to STN when southbound. It all depends upon where your problem starts.

However, I don't think this is particularly significant. I could equally postulate that a return to BHX could take longer by the time ATC are able to organise it.

The facilities available at STN are better - Much Better!

ajamieson
12th Jul 2005, 16:44
from the Press Association:
Later, a spokeswoman for Titan Airways, which was operating the flight on behalf of low-fare airline bmibaby, said the plane was diverted to Stansted “due to the pilots being alerted to an odd smell in the cabin”.

That would be the passengers, captain :}

Dash-7 lover
12th Jul 2005, 20:38
Spare aircraft (146) was at STN to recover programme.....

pamann
12th Jul 2005, 22:24
From the BBC news link
The Titan Airways' Boeing 737 flying from Birmingham to Majorca landed safely at Stansted Airport in Essex.

Clearly some of you need new glasses!

Maybe therefore it was overflying Stansted, not a mention of Malaga guys!

A-3TWENTY
16th Jul 2005, 07:41
Just the procedures out of standard(published) employed by a Captain (who is not in emergency) may be discussed.

So,as there is nothing writen about what airport to land is ...in case of....etc.

THIS A CAPTAIN`S DECISION !!!!!!! AND IN THIS CASE (WHERE THERE IS NOTHING WRITTEN ABOUT) IT`S NOT ETICAL TO DISCUSS ABOUT A CAPTAIN`S DECISION !!!!

Everybody is smart.Just the Captain is stupid...

Please!!!! Stop beeing fool!!!!!

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

wheelbarrow
16th Jul 2005, 09:14
Cracking decision.

The crew are based at STN, but so what?

If we were in the same situation (and I am STN based), I would divert to the place I know best, where you know what will happen next and where you know off the top of your head the taxiways etc etc... saving time on the ground in such a situation is valid too you know!

Easiest, safest and least stressful of all options I think.

And of course, Titan had a spare aircraft there too...... which means less hassle for the punters.

WELL DONE.

apaddyinuk
16th Jul 2005, 14:38
Im more curious about the BBC file picture with the BA 747 taking off, that isnt a picture of AGP now is it?

IMHO
16th Jul 2005, 15:18
Coudn't agree more Wheelbarrow, shows the flight deck were 'switched-on' taking everything into consideration..... (and dare i say it......) thinking about the bigger picture!

Flight definately bound for PMI, mybe the beeb know something we don't bout baby placing an B747 order. lol

In My Honest Opinion That is....:p

Dualbleed
16th Jul 2005, 17:00
Totally agree wheelbarrow. Nothing like a familiar airport when the **** hits the fan. Gives you capacity to think of all the other stuff, not reading the airport brief of a place you have never been to.

Jet2
16th Jul 2005, 22:14
Yep! Well said Wheelbarrow. There is still common sense out there :ok:

kansasw
16th Jul 2005, 22:54
THIS A CAPTAIN`S DECISION !!!!!!! AND IN THIS CASE (WHERE THERE IS NOTHING WRITTEN ABOUT) IT`S NOT ETICAL TO DISCUSS ABOUT A CAPTAIN`S DECISION !!!!

EH? Please defend this statement with any resources you choose. I quote (caps lock off): It's not etical [ethical is the English spelling) to discuss about a captain's decision!!!!"

Why not? Do you mean to discuss it in the cockpit when there is a problem? Or do you mean to discuss it on PPrune? Or both? Personally, as mere SLF, I would think it ethical to discuss in either case. Of course the particulars of the discussion would be very different if in the air or on the ground.

As mere SLF I have learned a lot by following PPrune. One of the things I have gathered is that there is something written about every imagined eventuality. So I quote you again, "where there is nothing written about it," and ask you to specify what it is about this situation that nothing is written about it. I do not have the resources to easily verify your statement, but I doubt its correctness. Regards, kansasw

fmgc
17th Jul 2005, 10:16
It is very important that as long as the decision is safe that a Captains decision is not questioned.

The reason being that a Captain, in the heat of the moment, must not feel any commercial or peer pressure that might unduly influence the decision.

If you were to divert for reasons that you thought were the safest, but in the cold light of day turned it turned out to be unnecessary and you duly got a slating for it, next time you might not divert even though you should for fear of being slated again.

As long as it is safe, a captains decision should never ever be questioned, not even on anonymous forums such as these.

In fact in the interests of flight safety perhaps this thread should be deleted.

N5528P
17th Jul 2005, 15:37
Think you will find it's a lot smarter to divert to the nearest SUITABLE airport. That includes considering the availability of fire services,runway length,approach aids,weather,fuel,pax handling and a whole bunch of other stuff you seem to be unaware of. The nearest AVAILABLE is not neccessarily the best choice.

I totally agree with you on the fire services, RWY length, approach aids - bit I hope no captain consides the level of pax handling services when having a possible electrical fire on board.

Worst case scenario: During additional 10 minutes to reach an airport with suitabble pax facilities, the electrical fire develops so much smoke in the cockpit, that the pilots have to leave the cockpit... I know it's rather extreme, still I think it has a point.

Regards, Bernhard

Tranceaddict
17th Jul 2005, 21:40
Spare aircraft (146) was at STN to recover programme.....

Just a point of fact but the aircraft used to recover the programme was a 737 that was ferried up from BOH, not a 146 that was already at STN.

TyroPicard
18th Jul 2005, 09:45
Does anyone know the position and FL of the a/c when fumes were noticed? Without that information this is all speculation and a waste of bandwidth!

TP:}

sixmilehighclub
18th Jul 2005, 10:31
I quote (caps lock off): It's not etical [ethical is the English spelling)

Kansasw - now rewrite your entire reply in Portuguese just to make it fair to A-3TWENTY, so they can pick holes in your second language too.

:*