PDA

View Full Version : Crop dusting job in Latin America

Doudou
12th Jul 2005, 12:48
Greetings,
Hope don't bother again with those "Can I get a job? How?"... questions. I did some research most of it was about airlines and nothing about Ag-pilot jobs.

- Do you think it's possible to get a job as contract ag-pilot in those countries, without the cintizenship/recidency... stuff? (beside this stupid CIA coke fighting spraying in Colombia)
- If yes, would a european guy, with FAA and/or JAA licence, speaking correct spanish, has any chance to get one, or there is a plenty of local very experienced pilots?
- What experience do you think could be asked?
- What the salary could look like? (just an idea, not veru important question)
- Which country gives more chances? (Argentina and uruguay have many companies, but may be many pilots also, compared to may be Bolivia with less companies but may be less experienced pilots...)

I guess the best to do will still be go there and knock on doors... but still need to know the possibilities and chances.

Thanks for any advices and informations. Good flights

Panama Jack
12th Jul 2005, 16:24
Ah . . . and I was going to recommend the Plan Colombia flying contract. So much for my contribution to this discussion. :sad:

B.T.W., since when is salary not an important issue when looking for work??? :suspect:

Doudou
12th Jul 2005, 23:16
:oh: Sorry, I was meaning not most important question. Cause before thinking money, I must speak possibility, no matter how much the guys get if I cannot get the job. I think also changes a lot from one operator to the other, from one country to the other, so as I said, I just would like an idea of what I can expect, not important if it's not precise.
Don't worry, I'm not one of those "I want to fly, ready to pay for my TR, ready to pay while I'm working for you and you get full of money":yuk: Especially, this kind of flight is dangerous enough, I don't think should be decent to do it for nothing.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, but this Colombian stuff is just crap (I don't have experienc eenough, but even if I did...noway), not only for the danger, but it f**cks up poor peasant's bananas... And as far as CIA is getting money from coke, I don't really see the point, but anyway, this is not political forum, and I will stop here. Thanks and good flights

crack up
13th Jul 2005, 01:46
There are plenty of very experienced ag-pilots in Central and South America.

State Dept. contractors don't spray bananas.

Doudou
13th Jul 2005, 14:42
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0722-05.htm

Just one of the numerous reasons... there are many others like this one

AeroBoero
14th Jul 2005, 05:06
We have a big fleet of AG here in Brasil...BUT...citizenship an issue. Sorry.:}

emailme
10th Aug 2006, 17:13
Does anyone have contact info for applying FOr ag jobs for columbia .
Any help would be greatly appreciated .

CaptW5
10th Aug 2006, 18:04
http://www.dyncorprecruiting.com/

http://www.ciponline.org/colombia/dyncorp.htm

Ag2A320
10th Aug 2006, 20:57
D,
I still hold a slot/ag-seat in the caribbean in S-2R-34/400, currently right seat A320, but the basic pay package is about $5K USD a month flying 35-50hrs on bananas, sugarcane etc, however you need a min of 2500Ag/1000 PIC turbine to even be considered for the seat,(if there was an opening);my replacement has 7000hrs Ag with 4000hrs on the -34. I fly back-up/relief when my schedule permits. Most of operators arent willing to OJT as they've lost a fair amount of aircraft, the operation i worked for preffered to train pilots and purchased a thrush with dual controls, it still took 6months to be released and up to a year for payload restrictions waived at all farms, in fact we were "carded' by the CP after a co -worker balled one up- trying to haul a full load into an area that he should only have been carrying 200 gals or less( he survived). however due to the nature of the Ag industry the operation has been downsided has 4 aircraft with 1 full time pilot and 3 on call.

The average in LatAm/Panama take home is approx 1500USD per month, with company housing and other allowances. how much time do you have and will any of the major insurance companies cover you? ie no accidents, enforcement actions, or claims. It helps if you have a A&P/IA or AME License,it might get you in. The US method of starting from scratch as a loader or Mechanic might not cut it as labour is cheap, so the " natural progression" many never occur. PM me there might be an opening in LatAm but the market is closed to most unlest you have a fair amount of experience (min 2500TT /1000Ag).

I have thought of the Dyn-Corp contract but had enough of getting shot at doing eradication in my own land, dont think i needed to push my luck in another mans country, plus Dyn-Corp wasnt sure what they wanted me for as i could have sloted to fly OV-10/Hueys/T-65. i will say this the money is good, but i lucked out an found a airline job before i had to make the choice.

Doudou
11th Aug 2006, 08:29
Hi Ag2,

Thanks for the reply. Really interesting. Unfortunatly, not enough experience for now, still building it (600TT, 100 Ag, 100 Turbine :} ). My question was really fr the futur. Keep in mind what you told me.

Have good fly

emailme
15th Aug 2006, 02:26
I just found more info regarding my last post