PDA

View Full Version : Agencies or Vultures?

maxrevs
26th Jun 2001, 20:33
Hi Guys!
Has anyone ever answered an advert for a job through a placement agency, and naively expected to receive any follow-up, past the initial "we received your CV" etc? It seems as if they are not interested in keeping you in the picture (sorry, the job has been filled etc), and thus allowing you to get on with your job search. For people on the fringe of our industry, and capable of making money off of our expertise, I think that they should look after "the product" (us), with a little more affection!
Anyone???
Regards, Max.

------------------
When I push the panic button, the breaker pops!

cotos
28th Jun 2001, 03:20
I totally agree, with the exception of Butler Aerospace in York. A lot of these agencies are operated by boys and girls who are only after commission on results so if you don't earn them commision you don't get a polite call back. The most annoying agencies are the one's who phone you up and ask 'Have you got experience on 146's?', without bothering to read c.v's or approvals/course certs etc.

Mice
29th Jun 2001, 01:04
I had applied to everyone in the back of the Flight, and got bugger-all replies as you state. They all wanted LAE's, but did not want to bother replying to someone close to the mark, even with licences and experience.

While I got the occasional "overqualified" response, that was only from a couple of companies, and they were directly appled to, not recruitmant agencies. The agencies were flat out even returning your e-mail or phone calls.

Now I have qualified for A/C/E/I LWTR's, (and by application, an unrestricted B1) I have found overseas work with more promise, if not a great deal of money. These companies and agencies are still in the dark ages, and long may they suffer for the lack of foresight for the support of out trades!

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

trapper
17th Jul 2001, 03:48
I've used the agencies with very good results. My advice though (especially if you're avionic) is to laugh at the pay they offer and then name your price. Works wonders, now which car shall I drive today!!

maxrevs
17th Aug 2001, 03:19
I thought that I'd freshen this up, so it can nestle with the other question of "Where are all the Engineers".
Keep it going lads! It's the only chance we have, to sound off, and hope someone might listen.
Best regards,
Max

Genghis the Engineer
17th Aug 2001, 14:35
I've just been speaking to a few this morning, from an employers viewpoint.

They charge the employer 10-20% of your first years salary - quite a lot of money for distributing a few CVs and making the odd phone call!

Sad thing is, I think I'll have to use them 'cos nothing else seems to work.

G

maxrevs
17th Aug 2001, 20:24
I wonder how long we could keep a clean, genuine "Jobs for Engineers" site going on PPrune, before the usual "screw-it-all-up" clowns got into the picture. It would be a good idea if the organisers would allow it.
A job site run for Engineers, by Engineers.
How about it lads, is it worth a try?
Regards, Max