PDA

View Full Version : giving up distant learning

macflea
12th Jul 2005, 10:56
hi every body,

i am thinking about giving up distant learning to go full time at it because its simply taking me to long. i signed up with a certain school but have yet to attend any brushup courses or attempt any exams. my job will be finishing in september and then i could take 6 months to do it full time.
has anybody been in same situation , how did you get on ,did you feel that it was the right decision or regret it.
what did you have to do to change between schools ,did you have to send letters to the caa explaining your situation or what.
any help appreciated

regards macflea

Alex Whittingham
12th Jul 2005, 11:13
Swapping schools is theoretically quite easy. It happens all the time, although usually after some of the exams have been attempted and usually between distance learning providers.

If you have done a complete distance learning phase for a subject your new groundschool might be comfortable to accept that at face value and sign you off for the exams after you attend a short classroom phase with them. If they are, ask your old groundschool to transfer your training records to the new groundschool. You should probably also inform the CAA as a courtesy [email protected].

If it is less cut and dried and particularly if you are going full time and therefore entering a more tightly structured training environment they are likely to ask you to start the course again from the beginning. If that's the case its not neccessary to tell the CAA and there is no point transferring training records (although your new FTO might like them as background information).

sheii
12th Jul 2005, 11:16
was in almost similar situation as yourself. Distant learning takes to long as you are at times forced to repeat somethings over a few times. I made the jump and did my phase 2 full time and my God things became easy and stress levels dropped big time...sitting in class with a teacher who explainns and makes things easier to understand takes a big weight off your shoulders and you actually start to enjoy learning the subjects. I would only do distant learning if I knew I would put as much hours if not more than pple who are doing it full time. On my opinion full time in class is the best way to go if you have the time to do it and it doesnt take that long......passed all my second phase subjects 1st time within 4 months ...while had to repeat 2 of my 1 phase subjects.....dont believe you need to inform CAA, atleast not until exam booking where your new school will sign you off to sit for the exams if they are satisfied you can handle them. So, go on and make that move it was the best move I made in my ATPL theories:ok:

Philip Aerodynamics
12th Jul 2005, 12:40
DonŽt give up try these chaps all ex RAF www.gtserv.co.uk they have saved many a student from self-destruction. Speak to Roger Henshaw. Best move youŽll ever make. Accom only 15 a night in Bournemouth.

hixton
13th Jul 2005, 10:41
Sheii, what school did you choose to do the rest full time?

G-ANDY
13th Jul 2005, 18:40
I'm currently doing my distant learning and am finding it okay right now. My brush-up course for Module 1 is in 5 weeks and I should have covered all the material at least once, possibly twice in that time. So far I have spent 5.5 weeks studying as well as a part time job.

I'm enjoying distant learning as I feel I learn better at my own pace in my own environment - pretty much most of my Uni degree was reading the books and taking the exams - the lectures we few and generally quite poor.

Although, since SHEII mentioned full time study in a classroom with a teacher, I was wondering who does this (apart from Oxford) and at what cost for Module 2?

Many thanks.

moku
14th Jul 2005, 10:31
I started Distance Learning and after 3 months found that I had made nowhere near the progress that I wanted. I then signed up for a Full Time Modular course. Best thing I ever did.

Moku.

EGCC4284
14th Jul 2005, 15:40
macflea

I did correspondence with Bristol and it took me from September 2001 until December 2004 to complete.

This was due to the fact that I stopped half way through for about year and the re started.

Plus I was working full time 50 - 70 hours a week on shift work. 5am starts and midnight finishes

It can be done. Don't give up. I cannot believe I did it.

You must put a copy of your work flow chart on your study room wall and take each chapter and each progress test as they come.

Rome was not built in a day.

If you are with Bristol, don't worry too much as the brush up weeks will knock you into shape.

PM me and I will send you my phone number if you wish some morale boasting.

Bristol were great and I could not recommend them high enough.

Cheers Alex and the boys down South

smith
16th Jul 2005, 12:24
I am doing just this at the mo. I bought the Naples books coz I wanted brush up courses in the sun. I find the notes from Naples littered with typo errors which makes it all rather confusing. A missed point or full stop here and there can make things totally impossible to comprehend. On saying that I did seem to do all right in the phase tests, however I have signed up to go full time at Glasgow in Sept apparently there are about 16 of us in the class (anyone else going? pm me). I think the class environment will build camaraderie as opposed to trudging through the books on your ownsome and may in the future provide a valuable contact when coming to job hunting if one of your class mates gets their foot in the door and gives you the nod.

GusHoneybun
16th Jul 2005, 14:38
macflea,

was in exactly the same situation as you. Couldn't do the ground school by distance learning. Took 8 months out and completed it full time. It certainly makes a difference attending a course. It makes you learn, even when you are not in the mood. Plus, you are surrounded by like minded individuals who are having the same problems as yourself.
Can't speak whether the pass grades are any better going full-time or distance learning as it really does come down to the ability of the individual.

Having said all that, I have maximum respect for the chap(ette)s who can hold down a full time job, and find time to queeze in 3 hours study per evening. Hats off.

sheii
18th Jul 2005, 11:16
Hixton, G-Andy, completed my phase 2 in oxford . charges were half the price of full time study this worked out me adding about 400 pounds to the money I had paid for the phase 2 distance learning course....and I hear they have currently reduced the ground sch fees at present