PDA

View Full Version : Distance Learning

MikeAlphaBravo
12th Jul 2005, 09:01
Having now obtained my PPL, I have decided to embark on the distance learning route for the ATPL exams, which our friends at OAT have just reviewed the price of:ok:
I would like the opinions of anybody who has gone down this route, or are doing at the moment, on how they found it best to schedule study time. I need to keep working, so thats 8 hrs a day gone. I realise that this won't be easy but I am committed to realising the dream. My theory was to do 3hrs per day Monday - Friday, Saturday off to fly and continue hour building, and maybe 5hrs on the Sunday, totalling approximately 20hrs study and 4hrs flying per week. I would hope to complete the exams over a 12 month period. Any help, advice and suggestions most appreciated.
MAB

Charlie Zulu
12th Jul 2005, 13:09
I've been able to manage studying quite a lot and I've had to do a lot more than the suggested minimum for the subject material to sink into my head.

Motivation isn't really an issue as its going to be your future career you're studying for. Keeping that diary should be okay as long as you don't have many distractions in life (wife, children etc).

I've been lucky that I have a lot of time off work as I have an excellent shift pattern and whilst on my week of nights ever five weeks I am able to take my books in with me (we are exceptionally quiet on night shifts and my boss okay'd the studying).

By the way what a fantastic new price of ATPL Distance Learning from Oxford! Less than half the price of Bristol or other competitors.

Alex Whittingham
12th Jul 2005, 13:52
err...no. You have to read the small print. They have priced 'distance learning' and 'classroom revision courses per week' separately but you still need 4 x 'classroom revision courses per week' and at least one 'ATPL distance learning course' to make up an approved course. Assuming you only need one 'ATPL distance learning course' not one for each module that makes their course £1675, entirely consistent with similar courses. I think Atlantic's course is about the same as is GTS's.

no sponsor
12th Jul 2005, 15:48
Your timetable is fine, although I reckon the flying bit may be tougher to schedule in than you think. I did start doing some flying to break up the groundschool, but stopped in favour of using the Saturday to study. I had a full time job, but studied each evening (not Friday though) and 4-5hrs each weekend day. I guess I did around 20-25 hrs per week.

Focus and dedication are required in quite large doses...

What's a Girdler
12th Jul 2005, 16:13
I have just finished the first lot of exams with BCFT Distance Learning, I can't recommend them enough, really good. I reckon I have done ok, but a nail biting 1.5 weeks to go til I find out. Great instructors, mostly from the southern hemisphere, an ex navy pilot and even a current BA training captain!!

Having a full time job is tough going as well as getting home and then studying until bed-time. My wife hasn't seen me since February! She's probably having an affair!! I should get it all done by December. BCFT give you a timetable to work to and it works well, each chapter is then covered with worksheets with exam type questions and every 4-5 weeks you have progress tests, which are actually a good prep for the exams.

I may be wrong but it does appear that DL students who complete the exams are disciplined people, (many start and get fed up and procrastination sets in), and you have to be disciplined, the pass rates do seem to be better than the full timers. I'll await the flack. :cool:

PM Me if you so wish!!

MikeAlphaBravo
13th Jul 2005, 07:42
Thanks for all the replies, its nice to see you are all positive about the prospect of distance learning. Too many ppruners are often far too negative! I would like to keep up my flying as I have a 1/2 share and if I am not flying its a waste of money. Also on completion of the ATPL's I hope to have enough hours and experience to continue straight into the CPL ME IR MCC etc. Should be a very determined, stressfull couple of years ahead, but worth it? Well I wouldnt want to be doing anything else:ok:

ricky-godf
13th Jul 2005, 09:28
I completed my distance learning ATPL last month with NAC.
Notes were not very good (I used OAT ones to study) but nice and helpful instructors.
I took five months to prepare my module one (with some holidays in the middle) and three months to go through module two. I used to study really a lot (at least 7-8 hours during weekdays) with poor social life; specially because you have to prepare everything by your own (a good background is essential).
However, I passed all first time with a very good pass rate...that means: it is absolutely possible to do so, don't worry!!
All the best

AlexL
13th Jul 2005, 09:53
I'm not going to go into which schools to use as that has been done to death elswhere. I'm distance learning alongside a full time job, as well as a 3 month old baby and having just finished a part time MSc with my employer all at the same time - so it is possible! I generally do not have any hard and fast work / revision times as the 3 month old has his own timetable which he makes up as he goes along .:oh: , so I generally cannot schedule time to sit down and work. I bring reading material and printed out feedback questions to work do do at lunchtime and try and do something, no matter how little, every night which keeps the momentum going.
I'm doing mine with london met and they split it into 3 modules - which makes it a bit more manageable - also the modules are related - i've just take the PoF, performance and Airframes / Systems exams. Doing Performance and Pof together was good as they are so closely related. 2nd module is all the nav and comms subjects which I am just starting.
I don't think any of it is particularly difficult - there is just alot of it. Bottom line is you will find the time and motivation if it is important enough to you - which I guess is the whole point of the exams!

Charlie Zulu
13th Jul 2005, 14:44
Hi Alex,

http://www.oxfordaviation.net/company/distance.htm

I'll think I'd better apologise.

When I took a "quick" look at the news article on the Oxford website main page, one of the key points it makes is "FREE attendance at revision sessions" but my eyes didn't read the "if you fail a subject" and further I didn't even click on the "more information link".

Yup you're right, on par with other schools as you're paying for each brush up course individually, sorry for jumping the gun!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Alex Whittingham
13th Jul 2005, 16:26
I can see why you though that. From that link I'd have thought the price was £895 too! Try their 2005 price list (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/prices2005.pdf). Sometimes the small print is very small indeed. Its still a good price, though.

G-ANDY
13th Jul 2005, 18:56
I thought I'd throw in my two pence as well.

I'm currently studying at BGS and am very happy so far. I've been studying Module 1 for about 5.5 weeks as well as doing a part time job and am booked for my brush-up course and exams in 5 weeks time.

Having read everyone else's response, I'm slightly concerned that I may have rushed through it - although I am passing all the progress tests and am feeling quite confident!!

I was initially studying after a full days work which I found tough, as I was tired and by the time I got into the reading and "got going," it was time for bed - so I went part time which is going well. Hats off to the people studying and a full time job - especially AlexL!!

I've pretty much done must of my hour building - it was great fun and I wish I could do it all again.

So in response to MAB's questions - I guess it is possible, but tough, especially over such a long time period. I went part time to speed things up and right now, morale is high and not yet flagging!

Happy landings

Funkie
13th Jul 2005, 22:11
MikeAlphaBravo

I have been doing exactly what you are planning to do for the last 6/7 months, using the course offered by Bristol.

You do not say what you do for a living at present, nor your travel time to/from work or your living arrangements. To be honest, I’m not that interested, but these should be taken into account when thinking about available study time. You my have considered this already, but working for 8hrs and assuming a travelling time of 1 hour, by the time you get home, clean the flat/house, cook dinner then tidy-up, 8pm is knocking on the door before you’ve lifted a book. You need to be motivated, which you appear to be.

I try to study for 4 hours every evening Mon-Thurs, but sometimes I’m just too tired! Friday night is my go mad night, with Saturday afternoon and evening being allocated for studying. I try to fly on Sundays in the share I have – if you don’t use it your wasting money. Planning is all fair and well, but few things appear to go to plan in aviation..!

Have you seen a copy of the notes provided by OAT? If not, make sure you do. I can recall seeing a set of technical notes, with diagrams which looked like they had been photo copied a number of times – very poor! The Bristol package is fantastic, with online support, a course management application, CBT or typed notes with colour diagrams on robust paper.

Remember, OAT is an integrated school with their interest firmly placed in that market. I have always said that if going Modular, stick only with Modular schools.

Best of luck.

Funkie

MikeAlphaBravo
14th Jul 2005, 11:09
Thanks again for all the response. Funkie, I currently work as an engineer and work a rotating 6-2 2-10 shift pattern. Travel time is no problem at around 15 minutes each way, and also I am married to a very understanding lady who supports my ambitions, so the available study time is quite reasonable and I should be able to manage 20-25hrs per week. Still slightly daunted as to the amount of material that must be learned, and understood!! I need to study away from the home environment, so thought the local library may be a good bet? Cant wait to get started though, and even more so, cant wait to finish:D
Good luck to all involved in this epic adventure!
MAB

What's a Girdler
14th Jul 2005, 11:51
I find a very useful place to study is in a layby in the car, completely free from distraction, works well, when my wife has got the television on too loud. Good luck, it seems daunting to start with but once you get into it, it gets better, and the time rockets by. Already half way through, and it doesn't seem a second since the big box of tricks arrrived on my doorstep!!

jameslongworth
14th Jul 2005, 11:54
I recently completed the BGS course and was thoroughly impressed from beginning to end. All I would add is that the 30 euro's worth of databank on their website is well worth subscribing to as a good 80%+ of the questions seem to be identical to the ones in the exams...

Charlie Zulu
14th Jul 2005, 14:52
That is good news in regards to the Bristol Question Bank... I've subscribed to it and if the questions are anything like the ones in the real exams I should be okay (fingers firmly crossed).

Just hope Meteorology is on par with the Bristol Feedback and Online Question Bank. :D

The brush up course feedback and practice exams from Bristol are also pretty good (curteousy of a friend). :D

jameslongworth
15th Jul 2005, 08:40
Believe you me if it can get me through Met then there is hope for everyone! Stay glued to the databank!

HEX
15th Jul 2005, 09:54
CharlieZulu,

Pls check your PMs.

HEX

Rotorcraft
15th Jul 2005, 13:09
To anybody thinking about Distance learning courses,

The best way to get through the exams is to bite the bullet and study as hard and long as possible in the time you have available.

If you are having problems with any particular subject then the only way forward is to tackle it head-on and make it your best subject.

I have just passed all ATPL theory exams at the first attempt, using GTserv at Bournemouth airport. They were the only school to research my particular requirements and respond quickly and accurately to my questions. Their notes are very good, well priced and the consolidation courses were excellent.

I am sure that the other schools are good too, but my thanks and recommendations go to GTserv.

:ok: