PDA

View Full Version : Please let me in somehow!!!!!

DB777
12th Jul 2005, 08:47
Hello all.

Im finding it absolutely impossible to find a placement in anywhere in aviation, and am writing with the hope that some of the many professionals and other wannabes on this site can thow some ideas/info my way.

I have been in another industry for nearly ten years now, which is always going to make it more difficult, but there doesn't seem to be any support for newcomers to the aviation industry - in any area.

I longed to train for my CPL but my eyesight didn't permit it, I went for numerous steward positions, but salary couldn't permit it. Technical courses for different licences seem to be only accessible for teenagers or ex-military. Even admin postions in all aspects seem to be advertised internally. I realise I am inexperienced, but local to me there is only one location which seems to train people, Marshall Aerospace, which seesm perfect for me - although I always seem to be pipped to the post by youngsters fresh out of college!

There doesn't seem to be any portal that helps individuals with my ststus. I am very enthusiastic, determined and motivated to achieve this although that doesn't seem to count.

I have written/emailed/telephone most airlines and aviation-related companies at my local airports (STN/LTN/CGE/CBG) but have found that alot are very unhelpful.

Please please please can anyone direct me to someone/something that can help me work in aviation!!!!!

Re-Heat
12th Jul 2005, 09:07
Think what you want to do in aviation - it may well be aviation, but you've got to have some motivation for the role itself rather than general love of aviation. Perhaps more focused searching might help? If you want to end up in a management role, perhaps more training through the Cranfield MSc? If you just want an apron job, then apply to handling agents?

I think we are at danger of narrowing it down for you - what are your skills and what do you want to do within aviation? Like all other companies the roles are as diverse as you make them - and few have contact with the aviation activities at the front line.

DB777
12th Jul 2005, 09:23
I looked at going to Cranfield last year, just proir to applying officially I submitted my visual prescription to the CAA who advised me that my visual standards were just out of JAA standards and a medical .

Bitter blow, but the determination is still there.

I am looking for something physical, working with aircraft - allowing me to learn more about aircraft technically, with prospects and that allows me to travel - not just to see the world, maybe just to help understand the logistics of airline ops, from the ground to the sky.

Hearing so many people say about getting in at any level and working my way to a desired postion has left me looking to pursue anything to allow me establishing the links! I'm startting to believe there's no direct way in a individual role.

Re-Heat
12th Jul 2005, 18:14
You don't need a Class 1 to do a Masters degree...I assume you don't know to which degree I refer? It is the one in Air Transport Management.

What quals do you have; what background do you have? Help us to help you.

TenAndie
12th Jul 2005, 18:38
The only problem with ground work ie Dispatch is that the hours are generally part time and not very well paid.

Have you thought about ATC ??

I know that NATS are recruiting on a regular basis.

DB777
13th Jul 2005, 08:03
Thanks Re-Heat

The thing is other than an interest and a few early lessons for my NPPL I have no quals or experience in avaiation. I have a HNC in 'Visual Communication' (Graphic Design) and practical expeirnce in that and other general work.

I have never considered 'Air Transport Management', indeed never knew of any such degree! I will look it up. Problem with courses is I have a mortgage - but maybe they have a placement element to them.

Thanks for your help.

wokkaboy
13th Jul 2005, 09:22
Sounds like Dispatch may be an answer. It gets you involved in the operational aspect of the industry and could prove to be a good 'foot on the ladder'.

From personal experience and as mentioned above, it's often at unsocial hours working long shifts for not great pay. However, there's plenty of people further up the ladder who have worked on the ramp before going on to bigger and better things.

Not all are from aviation backgrounds, but if you can prove you're enthusiastic and not afraid of hard work, you should be fine.

WB

sir.pratt
13th Jul 2005, 09:47
i'd be looking at ATC - finger on the pulse, office has the 2nd best view, you're in control...

http://www.airways.co.nz/