PDA

View Full Version : Jump Seat

Cupraman
11th Jul 2005, 16:18
Hi all, please firstly forgive me if I have put this in the wrong section.

Being an aviation enthusiast and a frequent flyer on both business and pleasure over the last 10 years I have have been lucky enough to have been able to sit in the jump seat for landing and take off on several occasions.

Since 9/11 though the chance of getting a jump seat landing has dried up although looking around a few of the aviation video forums I see people who must have had jump seat landings as their posts that accompany their videos reveal.

I am to fly British Airways from Gatwick to Barbados in a few weeks I wonder if any of the BA crew would know who I should contact to see if I might be able to get another go at either take off or landing in the Jump Seat.

Its a long shot i know. But I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Lee

PilotsPal
11th Jul 2005, 16:51
A little search of this forum will provide the answer and it won't be a positive one. Everyone misses the days of jump seats but they're gone I'm afraid.

Cupraman
11th Jul 2005, 17:13
Thanks for the reply. I would like to echo another forum members remark in another related post.

Thanks to all those pilots who let me enjoy the jump seat experience over the years.

BA 777 Into Cayman
Virgin 747-200 Into Barbados
Virgin 747-400 Into Barbados
KLM Foker 100 Into Stansted

Those are the ones that stand out, there were many more too.

Thanks all. The memories are there forever.

Avman
11th Jul 2005, 18:25
Let me clarify a few things here. A large section of PPRuNers are Brits or Americans. Most of the carriers that enforce the no jump seat policy are British and American. Others only when flying into the UK or USA. With any of these cases it will be virtually impossible to get a jump seat. However, there are still many European airlines that continue to entertain pax in jump seats both on domestic, intra-European (excluding flights to the UK) and intercontinental flights (excluding flights to the USA). They don't advertise it but it's still going on - and long may it do so.

Wannabe Flyboy
11th Jul 2005, 21:03
Avman - could you give some examples?

Avman
11th Jul 2005, 21:33
With the exception of some (but not all) majors, most other carriers in most countries. I don't want to identify specific carriers. Of course it comes down to individual Captains etc., also, again in some cases, if you have some form of aviation background and i/d this will improve your chances. All I'm trying to say is that YES it's closed doors on UK and US carriers but by no means all carriers. Friends, colleagues, and I have all had personal experiences.