PDA

View Full Version : chris Braund

exwagga
11th Jul 2005, 11:33
I saw a post referring to Chris Braund. I think itwas also advertising the existence of a book "Laughter in the Air". I worked with Chris in the late 50's when he was flying the Lockheed Hudson making rain over the Snowy Mountains for the CSIRO. And refuelled the brand new Mustang he bought fromTocumwal. Then I bumped into him at an AFAP meeting in Cairns years later. I would like to chat with whoever posted the reference to Chris- and buy the book..

yarrayarra
11th Jul 2005, 11:51
Yeah me too!
Maybe mistaken, but believe Chris flew with East West and Brain and Brown on the DC3s. Heard a few beaut stories which have probably "grown legs" over the years but would see this book as a major collector's item for anyone interested in the "quick wits"
Which reminds me of my golfing mate the ATC- the old timers know him as SS.
One of the first Ansett B737 in OZ. Absolutely shocker of a night with aircraft all over the sky around Melobourne and CZG is stuck at about F120 50nm NE as a wall of aircraft come the other way
CZG: "If I don't get climb I won't get to Sydney"
SS: "If I give you climb you won't get past Seymour High Street"
------Boom Boom!!!!
Cheers All

Fris B. Fairing
12th Jul 2005, 22:27
exwagga & yarrayarra

I suspect that the book to which you refer may be "Laughter on the Wing" which was published by Australian Aviation www.ausaviation.com.au (http://www.ausaviation.com.au)
Unfortunately I can't lay mt hands on my copy so I can't confirm that there is a Chris Braund story in it.

I have some details of the Hudson rain-maker on my website The Lockheed File (http://www.adastra.adastron.com/aircraft/hudson/vh-age.htm)

If either of you can add anything to this I would be most grateful. I did post a message on PPRuNe some time back in an attempt to confirm a report that Chris once worked for Adastra. I have since established that he did not. Sadly I also established that he is now deceased.

Regards

MIss Behaviour
13th Jul 2005, 00:14
The Australian National Aviation Musuem at Moorabbin also has this book for sale in its shop.

Laughter on the Wing - A collection of Short Stories and amusing incidents - the lighter moments of Aviation. A$11.50 each + $3.00 P/P.

How to order:

By Mail: Australian National Aviation Museum
PO Box 242, Mentone VIC 3194
Australia
Phone: (03) 9580 7752
Email: [email protected]

www.aarg.com.au/Booksales.htm (http://www.aarg.com.au/Booksales.htm)

exwagga
15th Jul 2005, 07:33
Fris.B.Fairing and miss behaviour. I thank you for the info. I shall order the book. Certainly Chris was a great bloke, a very good pilot and had the worst stammer you have ever heard. It was a pleasure to know him.

Ascend Charlie
4th Aug 2005, 10:00
In the early 50s, Chris lived over our back fence in Harbord, Sydney. Had a few sons. And 2 Mustangs, which he bought for 50 quid each.

He would tour the country airshows and put on flour-bombing demos, though the one I saw in Inverell demonstrated that the stammer may have transferred to his bomb release button - he was way past the mark.

DCA made Xray crack tests compulsory on the birds, so Chris had to sell one of the Mustangs to pay for the tests on the other, and then later he had to sell the other to pay for the divorce!

My first ever commercial flight was with Eenie Weenie Airlines, with Chris as FO in a DC3 to Kevin Crowe, whose son later was C+T captain with EWA. Interesting ride, standing between the pilot seats and listening to the local radio station on Chris's headset!

Lots of legends about this man, including the orbit of the harbour bridge. What a classic.