PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Melia

Bus429
14th Nov 2001, 13:51
Those of you who knew Eddie may not have learned that he died suddenly last night (13/11/01) in Dubai.
I was on shift with Eddie at both MAEL Manchester and EK in DXB in the 90s. It is fair to say Eddie enjoyed life!
My condolences to his family.
Eddie, I'm sure you've got a beer on the bar at Big G's local right now! RIP.

[ 14 November 2001: Message edited by: Bus429 ]

rightstuff
14th Nov 2001, 16:01
Bus,
Very sad news,words cannot convey how I feel at the moment,he did enjoy life,and I will certainly reflect over a beer tonight over some of the things he got up to.
E mail if you have anymore details.

spannersatcx
15th Nov 2001, 01:09
I only met Eddie once, through a mutual friend whilst I was on relief in DXB, went round his place made to feel very welcome had a few beers and a nice night out in town. He was one of the genuine nice guys, condolences to all his family. :(

multiplexer
15th Nov 2001, 04:47
I knew Eddie well, worked with him for several yrs at Monarch,had some very good times. Very sad to hear this news. Eddie was a man who knew how to have a good time, its fare to say he enjoyed life to the full, just a shame it was so short. My thoughts are with you Eddie.

Bruiser
15th Nov 2001, 18:04
Worked with Eddie at Man line for quite a few years. Who was a good friend and neighbour. Such a sad loss. RIP[/B]

nilnotedtks
16th Nov 2001, 13:41
. . . Came as a huge shock to all of here in DXB, bolt out of the blue. Eddie always had an open heart, an open house and an open beer for all that passed his way. One of life's real characters. God bless you Eddie, where ever you might be now ! :(

Avo Prodd
16th Nov 2001, 19:23
Eddie was a great guy, a superb engineer and pilot, and a very good friend. He will be sorely missed by all of us. God bless you, mate.

Sandshagger
16th Nov 2001, 21:06
Eddie was a great guy who loved life and knew how to party.Condolences to all his family.Have a beer for me at Big G's.

Lockstitch
17th Nov 2001, 00:49
Bus429 Please confirm whether you are referring to Ed J ex Brunei.Thankyou.

Bus429
17th Nov 2001, 03:27
Lockstitch - Eddie Melia as per "Topic".

Ed J is in the ME still, I believe.

L1011
17th Nov 2001, 09:14
Eddie was a fixture at the beach in CBV. A lovely guy, great company - we will all miss him a lot.

Any memorial sevice or wake planned?

Dragonball
17th Nov 2001, 15:21
I had the pleasure of working with Eddie for a number of years at British Aerospace, he was a great lad and the sad news of his sudden death will come as a great shock to his many friends in the UK. God Bless you Eddie.

philking
17th Nov 2001, 17:40
I once taught Eddie the 737-300, when we were both at MAEL, that was back in the mid- eighties. It was a time when Kissagrams were the trendy way to pay-back an instructor for all the nasty questions he would put in the end of course exams. Eddie organised for a Preggy-Gram..... Eddie really caught me out with that one, it was the first time in my life I found myself truly speachless. The second time I found myself in that same position was last Wednesday when the news of his death filtered through to me.
The world is going to be a quieter place from now on and it's going to be hard for us all to get used to that.

Ops chkd satis
17th Nov 2001, 19:38
Eddie was one of those best mates, but then he was a best mate to so many who knew him.
I feel privileged to have known him for the past 10yrs.
It's my round when I see you next, mate!

fastbuck
17th Nov 2001, 20:21
A dear friend and colleague who was always cheerful and enjoyed life to the fullest. Will be sadly missed by all his friends and colleagues.
Rest in peace.

Bus429
18th Nov 2001, 04:45
Philking,

Eddie arranged a Fat-o-Gram (in the Romper) for me and an antipodean friend when we left MAEL for EK (he was still at MAEL). I've got the pictures somewhere.
Did you know the Eddie always had trouble getting shirts to fit? As you know, the gap between his chest and head was very small. He had to put up with very long sleeves just to get a collar to fit! While we're reminiscing, I remember a water fight we had while on shift in 1990 in Manchester. You will all be familiar with the white boards we use to monitor based aircraft movements and maintenance requirements. The secretary had just finished writing it up and it was a multi-coloured beauty. For some reason we were all having a ruck and Eddie filled a tea pot with water. He aimed for me but I happened to be standing in front of the above mentioned board. He chucked, I ducked, and the board was...well, mucked! We were well and truly for it.
It was vintage Ed! ;)
I hope the above does not seem inappropriate. I suspect Eddie would not have minded.

rightstuff
18th Nov 2001, 08:15
Bus
I don't think Eddie would mind at all in fact talking about some of his exploits is the sort of thing he would have wanted.If all of his friends got together we could probably write a book about some of the things we got up to while in the company of him.He wasn't called Maddog Melia for nothing,although I don't think my missus would be too impressed.I did a number of courses with Eddie while working for Monarch and even rented a room in his house for a while.

torquetome
18th Nov 2001, 09:12
I only had the pleasure of working with Eddie for the last 3 years, the humour he brought to the shift was unique & he was responsible for numerous hangover's. You're irreplaceable Eddie, it's not the same without you. God Bless

andywood
18th Nov 2001, 20:00
Where to start with regards to Eddie…. I knew him for about 7 years in Dubai and have learnt that if you ever meet anyone in the airline world and say “do you know Eddie?”, a big smile will grow on the other person’s face and they’ll nod knowingly. He was an absolute star and all round fabulous bloke – no party really started until Eddie turned up.
I was fortunate to have worked with him and been out on many nights with Eddie, and the best of all, was on a trip to Brussels, where I didn’t stop crying with laughter the whole time.
Eddie, you’ll be sorely missed.
My sympathies go to all his friends and family.

philking
18th Nov 2001, 21:14
I don't know about you guys, I've been to staff travel & booked my ticket to MAN. Eddie, I'm going to be there to say goodbye the old fashioned way, then I'll be in DXB for the memorial...... 'cos that's going to be one hell of a party, just the way you would have wanted it.

itwilldoatrip
18th Nov 2001, 23:58
Eddie will be sorely missed. Having worked with him in Dubai and been led astray like everyone else the sentiments echoed here reflect my feelings.

matsaysgo
19th Nov 2001, 20:11
We put Eddie on the aircraft to MAN this morning and it was a truly moving experience to see his shift load him on the aircraft. DXB airport came to a standstill to see him off.
I am told he got the same reception in MAN. Thankyou boys.
I have known Eddie for a while, but as with everybody he has been a friend forever.All i can say is that he will always be a mate and never be for forgotten.
God bless you Eddie

itwilldoatrip
19th Nov 2001, 22:46
Have just seen the photo's of Eddies send off from Dubai and you did him proud. Anything on his arrival in Man?

Bruiser
20th Nov 2001, 12:53
Great to see that Eddie was a respected guy all over this small globe.
He will definately be missed by all who knew him.
Any pics available from DXB?

itwilldoatrip
20th Nov 2001, 20:37
Bruiser send me your e-mail address and will forward the photo's.

roman bihuniak
20th Nov 2001, 21:19
I met Eddie back in 1976, at british aerospace where we were both apprentices. We joined Dan Air together where Eddie lead from the front in ensuring that as teenagers and young men life, in and out of work was never dull. When we went our seperate ways Eddie and I kept in contact in an off and on fashion. In all those years, I regarded Eddie as my best friend, even though we did not see each other from one year to another, that was never a problem. On the times we did meet up the bonds were re-established like we had never been away. Its not very often that one has the honor of calling such a person 'my friend' but on all occasions that I spoke to others about Eddie I always spoke of him in this way. In his company I always felt relaxed and trusted him totally without reservation. Like so many of his other friends, the loss of Eddie has created a void in my life. I will miss him not being there. I still can not beleive this has happened. My condolances to Eddies family,especially Ann and also to Myra, who I never had the pleasure of meeting. Farewell to a great bloke and buddy. Come back and haunt me anytime you want, it will be a laugh.

Bus429
21st Nov 2001, 02:35
Roman,
Nice sentiments - well said.
I received your email this morning.
See you soon.

Jim Royle
21st Nov 2001, 02:54
The events of September 11th paled into insignificance (no disrespect intended) on November 13th 2001 when I received the phone call telling me I would never see my Best Friend ever again. Eddie was the first person that befriended me when, as a snotty nose kid of 10yrs I arrived at his school absolutely terrified of what may become of me, Eddie gave me the confidence to survive those settling in days and has been my pillar of strength since.
Eddie lived life to the full and has made me laugh for the last 32yrs he has also been responsible for many a day lost to that alcoholic haze that follows the night before.
It has been a pleasure and a privalidge to have shared the life of one so Kind, Loving, Generous, Funny, Trusting etc. etc. Always a man of action, a truly Great Man, A truly Great Friend I will Love and miss you forever.

Ps. The Funeral will be held at 11am on 26/11/2001 at Christ the King Church, Amos Avenue, Newton Heath, Manchester, England.
Followed by a celebration of his life (in true Eddie style) location to be arranged, will keep you posted.

SeldomFixit
21st Nov 2001, 14:12
And should anyone be in doubt as to what constitutes a worthwhile life, I suggest you go back to the beginning of this tribute and read it again.
I knew Eddie only briefly but an truly saddened by his passing.
Rest in peace.

ray arnold
21st Nov 2001, 17:36
A truly sad loss to to everyone and especially to myself and my family.I have known Eddie since he joined Dan-air in 1980 when he arrived as one of 4 very "green" ex Bae apprentices,he has been a true friend over the past 21 years and will be very sadly missed. My thoughts are with all his family and friends who I am sure will all be there to say goodbye on Monday.God bless you Eddie.

Jim Royle
22nd Nov 2001, 01:28
Just an update for all EDDIE fans, the after funeral bash will be held at the following venue from approx' 13:00hrs till you can go no longer.
If any of you good folks cannot make the funeral due to commitments, please come later to the celebration of the life of a remarkable man.
Our friend Eddie 'Maddog' Melia

See you at:

THE BOWER HOTEL
HOLLINWOOD AVENUE
OLDHAM
OL9 8DE
LANCASHIRE
ENGLAND
Tel. 0161 682 7254

ps. You can view hotel on Macdonaldhotels.com

Jim Royle
23rd Nov 2001, 02:19
We were devastated when we heard about Eddie and I know there'll always be a big void in our lives without him. The only thing I can say is that I can't think about him without smiling - and to me that says so much about the bloke and how much he'll be missed. The world will be a little less fun without him and we'll really miss him.
Ali

A fond memory of mine from our youth was Eddie trying to argue that his brand new, bright red, leather patent shoes were cool and trendy. The subsequent brawl with Manchester bouncers led to the Manager shouting "find me the b*****d with the red shoes on". Eddie - hope you've clicked your little heels together and found your way home.
To me you'll always be a member of the secret 4 and my best mate.
Cookie

capt6T9
24th Nov 2001, 05:35
I,like so many in Emirates over the past few years have had the privilege of knowing Eddie as a colleague and good friend.In recent months we lived in the same neighbourhood in Dubai. Eddie was truly loyal and cheerful friend,he was a great spirit to be around. His sense of fun was universal,he was a great laugh to be with.
Eddie,you loved living your life to the full and our lives have been much better lives for knowing you. Thank you for the countless good times enjoyed in your company.
It seems unreal that you have left us so suddenly and at such a young age.The loss and sadness we feel at not having you around is deeply felt.Your spirit will live on in our thoughts of you.Our heartfelt condolences go out to Myra,Ann, and all close to you. God bless you Eddie. XXX

[ 24 November 2001: Message edited by: triton1 ]

lockwire35
25th Nov 2001, 11:50
Whenever I think of Eddie Icannot help but smile the trouble he got me into and sometimes out of will now sadly just be precious memories he was one of lifes nice guys a great friend and my childs godfather we will all miss him we all have stories about him but when I think of him the one thing that keeps coming back was I never heard him bitch about anybody .It was a true pleasure to be his friend we will miss you mad dog but never forget you .

Mike Jacko Jackson
26th Nov 2001, 18:35
I have just attended one of the most solemn events of my life - the funeral of Eddie Melia.

I was honoured to have known Eddie during my days at Bae and Dan`s. Probably the greatest days of my life were spent whilst Eddie was involved in them, Eddie was a great mate and will be sadly missed.

Eddie I am sure has continued to live life to the full since he moved to Dubai and all that have ever known him will continue to talk about the good times spent with him.

My favourite Ed story was going back a long time ago - all of the lads from Bae decided to have a trip to Blackpool, several of us piled into Ed`s Chocolate Brown Hillman Imp. Unfortunatley just as we were arriving at our destination the car decided to over heat.

Ed`s solution was instant, he had no hesitation in whipping out his `old man` and peeing on the engine to cool it down.

Of course the inevitable happened as we were all stood around the car staring at the urine soaked steaming engine - some cocky passer by who thought he new it all decided to stop and help and dipped his fingers into the `fluid` on the engine and tasted it to try and identify what the cause of the problem was. We of course all fell about laughing while Ed continued a conversation with the guy about what the problem may be.

Classis Ed!!

God Bless you Eddie.

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Mike Jacko Jackson ]

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: Mike Jacko Jackson ]

Jim Royle
28th Nov 2001, 02:12
Yesterday was one of the saddest and happiest days of my life, sad because I attended the funeral of my best friend but at the same time happy that so many of Eddies friends, old and new, turned out to pay their final tribute and give Eddie the send off he would of wished.
I would like to congratulate and thank each and everyone of those that made such a tragic occasion go so well and in particular Cookie, Ron, Greg, Andy and Albie also Tony and my son (Eddies Godson) James for speaking so well and a very special thanks to Phil who, under very difficult circumstances, delivered such a great speach that summed up Eddie to a tee and summed up the feelings, I'm sure, everyone felt towards our friend Eddie.

A huge thank you to Eddie for being a major part of all our lives and being a true friend.

Put a tinny in the fridge for me Mate I'll be up there soon.

Love Gilly