PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Impromptue Fly-past Tribute

Beeayeate
11th Jul 2005, 07:51
Some time back someone posted a tale about a Vulcan and and impromptue tribute fly-past to, possibly, Donald Campbell, of jet boat fame - location, somewhere in the Lake District.

I have searched the mil forum but cannot now find it (this could be due to ineptness on my part of course). I thought it was part of the Vulcan thread but have had no luck in re-reading through that huge thing.

Could someone please give me a pointer or repeat the tale.

Thanks.

Pontius Navigator
11th Jul 2005, 08:56
Don Dale, 12(B) Sqn was flying the Bomber Command low level route, I can't remember the number but possibly BC/LL23. This route passed within about 5 miles of Coniston.

Don devaited off route, climbed to 2 000 feet and flew slowly over the lake rocking his wings. This was captured by the TV cameras as 'A lone Vulcan pilot pays a personal tribute to Donald Campbell'.

Naturally, being a spontaneous personal tribute the powers that be knew nothing of the event and the MOD or Air Ministry press office kicked the question down the line to RAF, Bomber Command, 1 Group etc. By the time Don landed they were in a real paddy and Don was immediately grounded.

A hats on interview without coffee with the AOC, Stapleton of the dining-in night fame I think, was not best pleased. Don was off the squadron and holding at Bawtry

Must dash, more later.

Beeayeate
11th Jul 2005, 09:20
Thanks PN, looking forward to "later" after your dash.

:ok:

Beeayeate
11th Jul 2005, 11:02
many thanks MJ, googling just never occured to me, duh! :(

Just the job though, with PN's contribution it's all I could have asked for.

:ok:

Pontius Navigator
11th Jul 2005, 16:11
The initial plan was to throw the book at him -BOI, CM or whatever would stick.

Then someone asked what had he actually done wrong.

The authorisation was to fly the BC LL route on track and remain within +/- 1.5 miles between 500 and 2 000 feet on 95% of occasions.

On 95% of the route he had been on track. When he flew over Coniston, less than 5% of the route, he was above 2 000 feet. Fireproof if not teflon coated.

From there on my memory dims. I seem to remember that his grounding was changed to a ground tour at Group possibly as GSFO and ultimately promoted to sqn ldr. I don't think he made wg cdr but I could be wrong.

The Amarillo video was very similar in that the powers that be were \'embaressed\' but in this case the media was quicker off the mark and it all came out in public. In Don\'s case the service managed to sweep it under the carpet. They realised that any public airing would be bad for the service.

Beeayeate
11th Jul 2005, 19:47
Thanks for the follow on PN, between yourself and MJ my query has been answered.