PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Cyprus flights

Carnethy
10th Jul 2005, 16:53
Anyone know what the situation is in Cyprus? I've heard that Flyglobespan & MyTravel have cancelled flights.
Apparently the baggage handlers are on strike, but not sure.

WATABENCH
10th Jul 2005, 18:40
Dont think so MYT-LCA and FCA-PFO went out fine from BRS this avo.

JIPPO
10th Jul 2005, 21:37
Baggage handlers went on strike on Friday last, which caused alot of delayed flights. Something to do with LCA being sold to the Cypriot Government, which if it goes through could have resulted in reduced wages.

Was meeting friends on a delayed flight at Belfast which should have arrived on Friday, but was delayed until just after midnight on Sunday morning.

Jippo
--

GrahamK
10th Jul 2005, 22:45
Eurocypria had a massive delay into NCL on sat night, so possibly a knock on from that

Lucky Angel
11th Jul 2005, 08:47
Privatisation is the problem guys.
The airports at the moment belong to the government but are now given away to private companies for modernisation.
Last friday the papers were signed and an agreement was reached between the government and ERMES airports.
Just about an hour before anything was signed the workers went on strike.The reason for that was a disagreement on the compensation money.
An agreement was reached just before midnight to give 6 1/2 weeks salary for every year of service to anyone that will stay with no job.

with alacrity
11th Jul 2005, 13:07
Anyone got any news of further knock on delays?
Purely selfish request as I am going on holiday to Cyprus with Eurocypria from BFS on Wednesday for the sixth year running.
Sad or what.:sad:

GrahamK
11th Jul 2005, 13:27
Belfast-Cyprus must be close to the edge of a 737-800s range surely? :ooh:

Tom the Tenor
11th Jul 2005, 13:32
You know me, have to get involved in this one. LCA to Cork is just a tad longer at 2378 nm as against 2340nm to BFS.

Pal aboard about three weeks ago. LCA-ORK 5.5 hours!

with alacrity
11th Jul 2005, 14:50
Eurocypria BFS-LCA used to be an A320 but my last two trips were on the B738.
Must be the huge winglets that give the extra range.
As Tom states the trip is rather long.
BFS-LCA 5hrs
LCA-BFS 5hrs 15mins :ugh:

This is why I am worried about delays.

Thunderball 2
11th Jul 2005, 22:55
Tom The Fiver

The distances you quote as nautical miles are almost exactly equal to the great circle distances in statute miles. A 15% increment factor to allow for offtrack airways seems a bit high, and a bit of a coincidence. Are these really airways distances in nautical miles?
:confused:

Tom the Tenor
11th Jul 2005, 23:41
Yep, apologies for that. It is statute miles. Sure is a long slog from Cork to Larnaca. Anyone know how the ECA CFM-56s differ from the Ryanair engines, if there is any difference?

Wondering if the FR machines with their ?lower power engines could go the same distance to Cyprus on the concrete available at Cork?

GrahamK
12th Jul 2005, 08:15
Not sure they would get anywhere close to LCA with their derated engines from Ireland be it DUB or ORK.
Of course, someone more knowledgable needs to correct me ;)

UFGBOY
12th Jul 2005, 19:03
Used to do the above with IEA on B737-300... quite tight, esp. westbound.. always made it though!!

Another fun one was LGW-TLV on the -300 with Orion..

Happy days...

and no IFE!!