PDA

View Full Version : BA DECs

fullforward
10th Jul 2005, 06:58
Rumour has it BA will need DECs in a not so distant future.
I don't believe, but...

expedite_climb
10th Jul 2005, 07:41
Wasn't the 1st april a few months back ????????

Ghostflyer
10th Jul 2005, 07:59
Fullforward, sign me up now! I knew the old Balpa membership would come in handy one day. Watch out for pigs falling from the sky.

Ghost

Human Factor
10th Jul 2005, 09:46
FF,

There are (more than) enough suitably qualified pilots within BA to take any commands which may become available, so wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Ray D'Avecta
10th Jul 2005, 11:08
Its true!!!! :rolleyes:

I was standing right next to 'Fullforward' in Lord Lucans pub, watching a pig fly by, when Elvis told us about the BA DEC's. ;)

behind_the_second_midland
10th Jul 2005, 11:16
fullforward

Clueless.

expedite_climb
10th Jul 2005, 15:10
I think all the the sun down in the gulf is making Fullforward daydream about getting out and back to the UK!

Lost For Words
11th Jul 2005, 13:52
I have heard that BA DEC's will be available to any current BA F/O with at least 15 years' seniority and the ability to pass a command course.

But that's just a rumour...

Airbus Girl
11th Jul 2005, 14:21
In a similar vein, what criteria do BA use for command selection? Is it purely on seniority (ie. does everyone get a chance at a course) or do FOs have various hoops to jump through first? Presumably if everyone has jumped through the hoops then its the most senior who gets first chance at a course rather than the one who jumped through the hoops first?

NigelOnDraft
11th Jul 2005, 15:53
In BA we bid for the seats / fleets we want annually. There are various freezes, which BA may waive at their discretion, but a freeze does not stop you bidding. There are also some "requirements" for certain fleets / seats (ATPL for LH, Command, hours, medical etc.)

For those eligible to bid, then courses are allocated by seniority. Of course, having got an a course, particularly a Command Course, it is no guarantee to pass.

There are couple of hoops and maybe some more coming, but essentially you are bidding purely by seniority.