PDA

View Full Version : Acer AL1715 TFT monitor

SawThe Light
10th Jul 2005, 00:01
Can anyone offer some advice with the following problems on the subject monitor?

Attached and installed this monitor to a Celeron 1.3 Gb box running XP Home SP2 with 512 Mb RAM. The box has a cheapish M/Board with on-board graphics.

At every other start-up the monitor showed 4 partial desktops that full re-booting wouldn't cure. The only cure was to pull the power supply from the monitor and re-fit it, but at the next start-up . . . . . . . Simply turning the monitor off and on didn't have any affect, we needed to pull the pwr cable.

Took it back to the supplier and received a replacement but it has the same problem. Downloaded the latest driver from Acer, and tried several others with no success. Then the last straw is that now after about an hour, the screen gets an overall green tinge that makes the whole damned thing virtually un-workable.

Attached and installed it on another box running XP Pro SP2 with an AMD 2600+, 1 Gb of RAM and a 128 Mb Nvidia graphics card. After aprox 10 hours or so, it too has displayed the same start-up problem of 4 partial screens.

I lodged a service difficulty report to Acer's Tech Support site last week but I think they might they be "maintaining strict radio silence" as I haven't received any rsponse.

Any ideas?

STL

SilentlyScreaming
11th Jul 2005, 13:24
Took it back to the supplier and received a replacement
Long shot, but are you positive it is a different monitor? If you had both in your possesion simultaneously, I'll go away and shut up, if not, then might be worth marking it with one of those anti-theft ultra-violet pens, just a little line or circle on the back.
Categoric proof if they are then shown to be trying to fob you off.

Any other equipment have issues when plugged into same socket/residing in same area?

SawThe Light
11th Jul 2005, 21:11
SS

I read you loud and clear, however it really was a different unit. I went to the trouble of registering it by S/N.

No, everything works just fine on the other boxes. Seems that the monitor simply doesn't like XP perhaps.

Still trying to get Acer to provide some comment but . . . . .

STL

timmcat
12th Jul 2005, 21:18
Perhaps doesnt help much but I'm running the self same monitor with no problems (on XP SP2).

The only issue I have had is that a static image from my desktop wallpaper 'burned' an outline - visible clearly when using other applications. It's cleared up after a few days by itself once the wallpaper was changed.

5711N0205W
13th Jul 2005, 11:59
Have seen that sort of sympton with the output setings on the video card set to a level the monitor cannot handle, try starting in safe mode and lower the resolution/refresh to 800 x 600 / 60Hz and see if that makes any difference.

If that works then increase to the size the monitor supports, flat panels are designed to run best at one resolution only, unlike CRT's.