PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ ATR-72

Reilly05
9th Jul 2005, 23:01
Hi, my second attempt at my first post - not sure where my first attempt ended up!
After several years o/seas, have recently returned to NZ (family reasons)& have a great job which involves heaps of flying around the country as well as Oz. As an avid aviation enthusiast its a dream come true & a lot better than the Melbourne-Sydney red eye which I was on every few days (altho do miss those 767-300's).

I have never been a nervous passenger, but lately have been a little disconcerted on ATR's, mainly due to some 'heavy' (altho was probably barely moderate) turbulence while going through a cold front enroute christchurch-dunedin.

Turbulence is one thing, and realise the crew do all they can to avoid the really rough stuff - but my main question relates to icing. Are there any ongoing issues relating to icing on these particular aircraft types?

On another note, I have been a pax on at least 40 Air NZ flights in the past few months - from memory only 1 significant delay, always nice cabin crew, window seat for every single fight, very happy so thanks heaps!

Regards

Reilly05

Massey Pro
11th Jul 2005, 06:58
window seat for every single fight

Ah the good old Beach aye

Mark Noble
12th Jul 2005, 18:17
Air NZ fly 733s to Dunedin from Wellington and Auckland anyway, can you not hop on one of them if they do a touch-down on the way?

Reilly05
13th Jul 2005, 00:13
yeah - I generally book so as to get on a 733. Sometimes no option though, like tomorrow nights flight to Dunedin on the ATR.

Nothing against the ATR, seems like an impressive machine as far as turboprops go - its just been pretty cold down here, and I imagine a lot of icing occuring at the altitudes the ATR has to fly.

Actually, coming back from Rotorua in solid IMC conditions the other week, I could see a lot of ice on the airframe - obvioulsy couldnt see the leading edge or build up on the ailerons from where I was sitting however!

I was curious to hear if the icing problems of the mid 90's had been fixed .

Cheers

Reilly05

27/09
13th Jul 2005, 02:41
I was curious to hear if the icing problems of the mid 90's had been fixed . Well, no, icing still occurs on aircraft today much the same as it did in the 90s and the years before that'.

BUT however if you are referring to the ATR accidents in the US, Then, Yes, the icing issues with the ATR have been addressed.

piontyendforward
13th Jul 2005, 03:02
Yes, the icing problem identified with the ATR accidents in the States has been addressed. All new design turboprop aircraft have an increased certification requirements for flight in icing conditions.

Although the ATR accident highlighted problems with the type, it was also identified that other TP's are also blessed with similar deficent anti ice systems, and the FAA began to stress the importance of escaping icing conditions, and that anti ice systems only allow you time to escape to non icing condition and that continued flight flight in icing conditions is not recomended.

There are probably more on PPrune that will have the specific's of the icing problem with the ATR, and the fix.

Reilly05
13th Jul 2005, 08:48
Thanks heaps for the replies!

Best wishes,

Reilly05

kiwiblue
14th Jul 2005, 04:44
Can't comment on the ATR, never flown one. However, from your original post it does seem likely (most probably did) that you joined the NZDN ILS from the SWAMPY VOR. That spot (and points N towards NZOU) are almost legendary for turb/icing.

Chat to some of the NZDN operators (Mainland probably a good place to start) for further info, or some of the ATR drivers, if u can catch them!