PDA

View Full Version : Two Small Observations

PAXboy
9th Jul 2005, 22:31
A friend who has not crossed the Atlantic for many years, asked my help in checking prices and features for a possible LHR~SFO trip in the autumn.

I see that BA have now got two names for World Traveller Plus, 'Premier Economy' has emerged in conjuction with WTP. As I am not a regular on BA long haul, I was not aware of this. Are they moving from the WTP name to PE?

Secondly, when checking the AA and United web sites to cross ref with BA and VS, I found that their sites were more difficult to locate the premium cabins. Their default setting did not mention any options for Biz, whereas the UK ones have the option and set as, typically, 'Econony (lowest)' as the default so that it was simple to change the option and cross compare prices in the various cabins.

Since AA do not go direct on this route, it leaves three to choose from. As he probably does not want to pay for BIZ, it leaves a simpler choice between the two UK carriers for a PE ticket. What makes it simpler is that the prices quoted by each for the same days were within £1 of each other. As were the fares in Club + Upper! My, my, isn't it amazing how competitive we are these days. :rolleyes:

This is not meant to start a major debate - although always willing :D - just Two Small Observations.

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

apaddyinuk
11th Jul 2005, 00:31
Hello there,
I believe this is a marketing ploy mainly for the US market. A number of business passengers from the US adviced BA that their companies would book them into WTP if it was branded as a premium economy product which it was not branded as such online! So they now clarify this online in order to increase bookings!!! Hope that makes sense, its late and im not feeling particularly articulate!!!

Globaliser
11th Jul 2005, 12:16
PAXboy: What makes it simpler is that the prices quoted by each for the same days were within £1 of each other. As were the fares in Club + Upper! My, my, isn't it amazing how competitive we are these days.Ah, the old question about how to tell the difference between competitive response and anti-competitive collusion! :D

PAXboy
11th Jul 2005, 19:44
Yep, each carrier's pricing computer is watching the other carrier's pricing computer. :rolleyes:

As a further Observation, I note the continuing disparity in pricing of LHR~SFO/JNB. I checked these at the same time on the two British carriers. Travel distance to these being almost identical and yet JNB is always more expensive - in any class. Such is the power of the market.

Competition may be said to be almost equal as LHR~SFO has BA, VS, UA and JNB has the two Brits and SA on it every day, sometimes twice a day. Lucky old South Africa with all those folks who want to get there that they are prepared to pay higher rates. Mainly because, upon arrival, the cost of the holiday/business is much less than in the UK. Ergo people will pay more for the flight as it balances overall.

OK, OK, I'll crawl back into my kennel now. :ouch:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Globaliser
12th Jul 2005, 11:21
PAXboy: As a further Observation, I note the continuing disparity in pricing of LHR~SFO/JNB. I checked these at the same time on the two British carriers. Travel distance to these being almost identical and yet JNB is always more expensive - in any class. Such is the power of the market.

Competition may be said to be almost equal as LHR~SFO has BA, VS, UA and JNB has the two Brits and SA on it every day, sometimes twice a day. Lucky old South Africa with all those folks who want to get there that they are prepared to pay higher rates. Mainly because, upon arrival, the cost of the holiday/business is much less than in the UK. Ergo people will pay more for the flight as it balances overall.Just supply and demand, isn't it? As I understand it, the number of flights between the UK and South Africa is artificially limited by bilateral constraints, and there are few sensible non-direct routings. Although I keep reading noises elsewhere on PPRuNe that the bilateral is being renegotiated, goodness only knows when any liberalisation will take effect.

To SFO, on the other hand, there are lots of other sensible ways of getting there in addition to the non-stops, which probably offer capacity more balanced to the real market demand.

It was a bit of a shock, about six weeks ago, to find that Y seats to JNB for Christmas were already selling out on the most popular flights. Not even SYD is that bad.