PDA

View Full Version : GF overshoot

cluless
9th Jul 2005, 10:11
Anyone know why the GF A330 went around at Heathrow yesterday?

Fernando_Covas
9th Jul 2005, 10:41
Pretty soon you are going to wish you never asked about a dreaded go around...

NigelOnDraft
9th Jul 2005, 10:57
Oh dear, we're not going down this again are we :(

Because the Flt Crew decided too... Next question... PS And this will be in "Spotters Balcony" shortly I predict :) Oh sorry, already is!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Jul 2005, 12:08
<<Because the Flt Crew decided too>>

Or maybe they were told to......

TopBunk
9th Jul 2005, 12:08
NoD
Because the Flt Crew decided too... [sic]
Actually they were told to. As it happens a BA Airbus had some technical problem that prevented them fully clearing. I saw 2 aircraft carrying out ATC-instructed go-arounds (I thought an EI and a LH, but may be wrong), followed by one (I think) A340 do a visual switch to 27L, before 27R was made available again to landing traffic. All this caused a 10-15 minute start up delay at about 1830 local (to me included).

Furthermore, for all you spotters/journos out there, no big deal, no near death experience, just routine events at a busy airport carried out professionally by professionals.

BLK 33
9th Jul 2005, 14:26
TopBunk's reply covers a different incident - the GF 330 go-around was another matter altogether...

NigelOnDraft
9th Jul 2005, 17:49
<<Because the Flt Crew decided too>>
Or maybe they were told to...... May I respectfully suggest, that in the case you present your Honour, the Flt Crew still decided to Go-Around, albeit influenced by ATC's instructions :)

Gonzo
9th Jul 2005, 18:53
Naughty naughty, Nigel On Draft, lets not start this one again (will you land if ATC hasn't cleared you?) :O :O

NigelOnDraft
9th Jul 2005, 19:45
Naughty naughty, Nigel On Draft, lets not start this one again (will you land if ATC hasn't cleared you?) Reading too much into my reply !! Of course I would GA if ATC told me... Just that if still requires (for now) a Flt Crew decision to (then) push a button (!), select TOGA, and a myriad of other things to "make the xxxx GA", which was the original question...

I do appreciate in a few years I wil be sitting there, at 200' on finals, wondering how long it will take for a stand / bus etc. when "Woosh" we're off and climbing away and I'll be asking "what's it doing now"... and you will come over the RT and apologise for pressing the wrong button.... Until then :)