PDA

View Full Version : New working practises

reboot
13th Jun 2001, 01:52
OK this is one for big airways ramp people, how are you finding the new system? Any good stories like one LAE meeting the A/C calling in the defects then another LAE coming to work one job then another LAE for another and another LAE and so on. This is meant to be more efficent??

How are the LMA teams getting on, any cockups yet?

What is your opinion of nobody being in charge of the aircraft.

I want to be on an LMA team, no one in charge, no one making you work, no one making you do the job properly and no one stopping you trap. And they want more money for this!!!!!!!

:) :)

spannersatcx
13th Jun 2001, 11:39
Anybody outside of BA care?

NFF_PRF
13th Jun 2001, 11:41
What we should remember is it's only being trialled in two ares, T4 LHR and Longhaul LGW.

The biggest problem we have is the management want to have more control over the work force and BA's as usual couldn't organise a P***-up in a brewery!

This is another gross mis-management project that BA seems to constantly spent money on.

reboot
13th Jun 2001, 23:21
May only be a trial officialy but its here for good and will spread to other areas. Thats not a guess the plans are all laid.

They seem to be obsessed with the ADD clear up rate not the ADD levels, I hear down at LGW they clear them up a lot better than us so why havent they been left alone.

Pengineer
13th Jun 2001, 23:39
Whats it all about, I'm ex BA and used to seeing all these hair-brained schemes come and go. The management proposed it, we opposed it so we did our utmost to make sure it didn't work, great fun.
Just do exactly what it says in your 'defined role' and watch the delays building up, they'll get bored with it before you do.
Enjoy and regds to Fraser.

reboot
14th Jun 2001, 01:15
Just the LAEs no longer look after the aircraft the RMA men do that now with no supervision. LAEs just do specific allocated tasks, this ADD, that inbound defect.

I'm sure Fraser would say hello, for once though this isnt his fault Alan and his new friend Rod we think

Penn Doff
15th Jun 2001, 15:25
It sounds like a real nightmare working at Bizarre Airlines! What do the company QA and CAA feel about the new lack of LAE input?
A better idea would be to treat the maintenance like a car production line with one person doing a dedicated job, that way you could pay them even less. All you would need is a decent manager to oversee it, one from perhaps the motor industry!!!! Lets face it a B747 is just like a big Ford Fiesta, just with more bits.
I am really glad I don't work in a place run like this though!!!!

------------------
"please report further"

time-ex
16th Jun 2001, 02:28
I have to report that it is going well at the present, LAE's are less stressed out and all the pressure is on the tech control planner. I have done 2 weeks as the "Ramp Rat" debriefing arriving aircraft, other LAE's have been involved in addressing ADD's
and major incoming snags. If I have any reservations it is that no one is in charge of engineering activities on the aircraft except the poor "old" planner in the tech control. Regarding the statement, Big Airways who cares, given the new (JAR66)world if it works it's coming your way. Believe me I was a sceptic before it all happened. But it seems to work just fine.

time-ex
16th Jun 2001, 02:38
I should have put this on my last posting, the ex LGW guys that have joined us in T4 are excellent and the Concorde guys that left will be sorely missed. The LGW guys have come into an area working the new system and hats off to them they responded really well.
I hear few complaints from anyone, except the planner.

[This message has been edited by time-ex (edited 15 June 2001).]

staff west
16th Jun 2001, 13:04
When is this stuff to arrive at MAN?

Having just been taken over by Big Airways is this what we in the north can expect? Our bruvs at BRS said nothing about this when we decided to join up.

Any more sardines for the can?

time-ex
17th Jun 2001, 03:55
I think it will depend on how many transits you do a day, we do 80+ a day on BA longhaul aircraft. We have a seperate section (CEG)handling 3rd party airlines that insist on the job "done properly" and they make lots of dosh charging for 2 "gingerbeers" to attend a 747 arrival. It is only a trial at the moment but I don't see any manager like AMcD letting it go if it works.

spannersatcx
17th Jun 2001, 14:01
And so should the 3rd party airlines insist on the job being done properly, and by Engineers, guess that's why Big Air! seem to lose 3rd party stuff especially at Manchester. And if AMcD is still as mad as he was then you've no chance, ever.

qfgingerbeer
17th Jun 2001, 18:05
spannerstaxcx,
I'm outide BA and I care,
My airline comes to your country and our management points a finger at your guys and says "look they can do the job of three men with one half trained monkey, we'll call it worlds best practice and use it as a precedent". Of course we f***** care!! I recommend that any plane fixer who is forced to cut corners by management, work to the rules. Read the mm and snag every defect, even petty ones. If the crew asks to replace a bulb for half a light which is out, say "sorry I'll have to check the mm for any temp revisions" Whatever you poms do goes all the way round the world so don't let the wedge enter!!!!

reboot
17th Jun 2001, 22:35
We would like to dump this wedge thats being forced in but our top bloke who starts all these cost savings has come from the other side of the world, your cast off perhaps. If we send stuff all the way to the other side perhaps that the top brass would be the place to start you can have him back down there. You could also have our Welsh Mafia if you want.

P.S. Time-ex how many days leave do you get on your shift pattern??

Polly On!!!

[This message has been edited by reboot (edited 17 June 2001).]

time-ex
18th Jun 2001, 03:10
The point is that every defect is being addressed by an LAE, the routine stuff is done by staff who hold an appropiate qualification and JAR66 reduced what they can do significantly. How they got their qualification is open to debate, but we have the "in house" methods of busting them back to mechanic if they don't make the grade.
I for one will be happy to point them out to our quality department if they are not competent.
Does an LAE want to lead a group of staff but not actually do tasks himself because he is man managing or doing routine paperwork. Or would an LAE prefer to be pointed at a task, do it properly IAW MM and know it was done properly as he signs the tech log because he actually did it. I know what I prefer.
spannersatctx - I agree every airline has the choice to insist on certain maintenance standards but I don't write our exposition and our accountable manager is an Aussie, he will be the one who carries the can if the Big Airways new system fails - I wonder if any one has told him?
Reboot - My leave days are 26 days P.A.

spannersatcx
18th Jun 2001, 13:48
Reboot - that's why we (CX) got rid of him!!

TDR
26th Jun 2001, 01:48
Just think, it leaves even more time for the LAE to remove the sock from the 747-400 flightdeck door lock!

Blue Danube
27th Jun 2001, 12:10
Can I assume the LAE no longer has "ownership" of the aircraft? Is this the way all European airlines will be heading in the future? I always thought the LAE was in a position of supervision/man-management if he/she no longer holds such a position and has less responsibility does this mean a reduction in pay. I can't see an airline as large a BA paying for something they no longer get! But then again, didn't BA's upper amnagement get rid of all the supervisors a few years ago?

What's this about the sock? I've spoken to a few people in the industry who have come out with "If you ever fly on a BA aircraft, look for the sock"

Crashed & Burned
17th Jul 2001, 01:51
From what I see these "new" practices are great. Everything runs so smoothly and efficiently. I just wonder why this wasn't done before. :D

Mike E
17th Jul 2001, 03:09
Hi Guys, I'm ex-BA, left in '83. I keep seeing the name Alan Mc Donald cropping up, and I think it's my old boss from Tech 1 at LHR. Is he still a whizz-kid/******?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NFF_PRF
17th Jul 2001, 20:29
New working pracises are great. I get to drive around the airport all day watching aeroplanes. Highly efficient method of working, especially if you don't go back to the office and your radio is typically as much use as a wet sponge!

Gatwick was great a few years back but Mr. McD soon put an end to all that. :p

[ 17 July 2001: Message edited by: NFF_PRF ]