PDA

View Full Version : UAS 1 Year Forcast

JamesTigris
8th Jul 2005, 10:00
Are there any guys out there currently in the UAS's who have an idea what's happening to them in the next year?

I was a member of SUAS for about a year and a half but I left the Squadron because of complications with my degree. I've never given up on a career as a Pilot in the RAF and know that the best route in is through the UAS's so I'm hoping to get back in for my final year. I had an awsome time on SUAS and the flying was amazing but I'm hearing that if the UAS's are to continue existing at all they're looking to stop flying (or EFT at least).

I'll probably head down to the RAFCO and see if I can talk to someone down there who knows what's happening. Are the UAS's still flying at present? Is that set to continue for at least another year?

Would appreciate anything from current OC's on the squadrons. PM me if you know anything, and if you're from SUAS say hi!

basuto72
14th Jul 2005, 10:25
MATE, EVEN THE RAF DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE UAS'S!!
EXCEPT THE EX HIGH RANKING OFFICERS (OLD DUFFERS)WHO ARE DUE FOR RETIREMENT AND WHO HAVE DONE THEIR LEVEL BEST TO SECURE THEMSELVES A JOB ON THE AEF'S WHICH ARE DUE TO DO QUITE WELL OUT OF ANY PROPOSED CHANGE. THANKS BOB!!
BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION CHUM, THE ANNOUNCEMENT WILL COME IN 2 WEEKS ABOUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN AND IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT THERE IS GOING TO BE NO EFT PRIOR TO IOT. NOT ACTUALLY A BAD THING. YOU WILL GET 10 HOURS A YEAR AIR EXPERIENCE BUT THATS IT. I DON'T THINK THAT THE MOB HAS THOUGHT IT THROUGH MUCH AND WE ARE TOLD THAT OUR BOSSES ARE BIENG SUMMONED DOWN TO BE TOLD IN 2 WEEKS OR SO. DO STILL APPLY, YOU ARE STILL GETTING FLYING OUT OF IT AND THE STAFF WILL BE ONLY TOO HAPPY TO TAKE YOU UP I AM SURE, AND IF NOTHING ELSE IT SHOWS YOUR COMMITTMENT. WE WERE TOLD THAT EFT IS DUE TO STOP THIS SEPT!!
GOOD LUCK MATE.

pr00ne
14th Jul 2005, 11:37
basuto72,

Been watching this debate with some interest. IF the UAS system is going to be reduced to a glorified AEF with no EFT, where does that leave the RAF with regard to EFT? They have only recently restructured the EFT system so that the RAF EFT was delivered by the University A|ir Squadrons, now if they are to stop being a mens of delivering EFT, is this announcement in 2 weeks time going to encompass a new EFT system, or will the RAF rejoin DEFTS?

Mach 2.2
14th Jul 2005, 11:51
And there's no need to shout......

durpilot
14th Jul 2005, 23:33
Dear all,

I realise that many if any of us no what exactly is going to occur to the future of the various UAS around the country. But does anyone have an incline as - if what is predicted of scrapping EFT before IOT is true, what will happen to the current students currently undertaking the course & if with the current cutbacks we are fortunate to get in will we have to redo the whole of the syllabus or just finish it off?

Many Thanks

LFFC
15th Jul 2005, 08:52
durpilot,

My guess is that you're a science student ......... :8

I suppose that it will mean that current UAS students will be able to concentrate on getting a good degree whilst still enjoying some flying.

Now, does anyone know how to apply to be an AEF pilot? Is it reserved for retired, very senior officers? If so, I wonder if they will be available for weekday flying for UAS students?

basuto72
15th Jul 2005, 08:53
I am almost certain (as far as I can be !) that we will not join DEFTS. Although that would have been the sensible thing to do many years ago, one aircraft fits all etc, To answer your question pr00ne, they are going to transform 3 of the existing UAS's into "super UAS's" that will do the EFT post IOT. These are reported to be at Church Fenton, Cranwell and Witton. You probably have more questions than I can answer on this, as all I speak to seem convinced that it hasn't been properly thought through, with moving the Sqn Boss to a building actually in the university area means purchasing / leasing more real-estate and this will eat into any cost savings, but -the monkeys at the top of this tree- state that it is not a cost saving measure but it is done to benefit the students, which I can sort of understand.

The studes will now get up to 10 hours a year AEF effectively and it will be run more like an OTC, emphasis on AT, leadership etc. So the pressures of completing EFT and a degree wont exist. I just hop we can still recruit. Because last year, in my opinion (and it is only mine) we struggled to get all the slots filled with "the right sort". Some just didn't turn up for interview etc. But the "monkeys at the top of this tree" say recruitment is not a problem.

So it can't be, can it!

Mach 2.2. Point taken......................................

LuckyBreak
15th Jul 2005, 12:28
I feel that you may have been screwed over a bit with the UAS Squadrons stopping EFT training, but with a 18 month hold after initial IOT for most joining pilots, is it fair to let them do elementary EFT and then have no chance of getting through OASC selection as there are too many pilots even holding for multi-engine METS at the moment?

PS: ULAS rule!