PDA

View Full Version : LHR to Sydnery

bigflesh2005
7th Jul 2005, 18:20
I am going to sidney tomorrow which is in australia and want to know which contires I will be over flying. Is it possible anyone can help as i think it could go southwards to greece and turn left over uae and ocean or it could go more north over russia and turn right over to china. btw we stopping in singapore. help would be grateful.

Re-Heat
7th Jul 2005, 19:27
Put a piece of string on a 3D globe between London and Singapore - within constraints of airways, your route will approximate a great circle line.

KTPops
7th Jul 2005, 19:37
You CAN'T be serious!!

Richard Taylor
7th Jul 2005, 19:47
Sidney who ?

:p

Rainboe
7th Jul 2005, 19:55
SE across Europe to the Black Sea. East towards centre of Caspian Sea (just north of Baku), over Turkmenistan, SE over Afghanistan near Kabul, E over northern Pakistan near Lahore, SE over India passing near Delhi, to Calcutta. SE almost following coast over Myanmar (Burma) near Rangoon, southern Thailand, Malaysia.
Possible route used now is further south over Iran, south of Karachi, across central India north of Hyderabad, across Bay of Bengal north of Sumatra.
I think there will be a moving map on the aeroplane.
Be sure to stretch legs in Singapore- nice airport with lots of techie toys in the shops!

bigflesh2005
7th Jul 2005, 20:37
ooooh! this is sounding pretty nice! i am being thankful to all who have been as so kind to be sending details of my flight to sidnet. I have often wondered which way the plane will follow. I am going in the quantis too. understanding to be of good safety recordings. its interesting to see that aircraft going in afgan aerospace... but I will be checking with map when i am flying. ok. going to have to pack my stuff now as getting near time and need sleeping for tomorow morning flight to lhr from the manceister airport as taxi coming for me in the morning at 3pm. thanks once again, i will update this thread in free weeks upon returnings from syndy.

Konkordski
7th Jul 2005, 20:44
Voila!

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=LHR-SYD

bigflesh2005
7th Jul 2005, 20:46
oh konk - is this an actual representatikon of routings ? or is this guessing?

oh and it is actually being stopping in singrapore for few hours

Rainboe
7th Jul 2005, 23:10
That's what is called a Great Circle route- the shortest possible routing. But aeroplanes can't often follow routes like that because of political considerations or air traffic control reasons (airway routings). Enjoy your flight! Take note how short the night is and work out why. Tell us where you went. And if you ask the stewardess real nice....you just may get a visit upstairs at the end of the flight. Don't give up if they can't let you- ask next flight.

cheesycol
7th Jul 2005, 23:51
You can spot a Yorkshireman's spelling a mile off :E

Awaiting backlash :D