PDA

View Full Version : Good hours these days?

Staalburger
7th Jul 2005, 16:03
Can anybody working for the Airlines in SA myabe help me by giving me an Idea of the type of hours the airlines are looking for these days .I'm on 1650 total,70 IF,20 night little twin time.Not very impressive but still curious to know.Must I still hang in there for a while or should i start applying already?

Thanks!

goaround7
7th Jul 2005, 18:11
You ask a very difficult question, hence no replies so far. If you are not ex SAAF with buddies to help you, female or black, it's a moot question - you won't get in SAA anyway.

Your hours might get you an Airlink interview but you need minimum KA200 rating or equivalent MAUW to be considered; something to do with simulator training. Oh yes, and they seem to like instructors.

As for the others, you have a long way to go but some guys are still getting in at Comair, Airquarius or Naturelink/NAC (not really airlines but they will get guys started on twin turbines).

If you still want airline, make sure you don't exaggerate your IF time eg. do not log the whole flight instead of the approach only. SAA in particular takes a dim view of this.

Oh yes, and if you haven't already - ATPL or subjects at least.

Good luck.

SebasW
7th Jul 2005, 19:25
As far as I know Comair's minimum entry requirements are 1000 hrs with a twin IF and a couple of twin hours but you have to keep in mind that if you apply with the minimum hours your going to be up against guys with alot more hours...

Having the minimum hours doesn't necesarily mean they're going to want you. Keep trying though because I've heard that when Comair, and some others, employ a full spectrum of pilots when they do employ. They'll take 3x 4000 hr pilots, 2x 2000 hr pilots and 1x 1000 hr pilot for instance to ensure that they have a continuous flow of experienced pilots and so they don't loose everyone at once to people like Emirates and Cathay.

SFO
9th Jul 2005, 07:36
Seems to depend on who you know more than anything else.

COMAIR likes ex SAAF or high time pilots from other airlines. Knowing somebody seems to help.

SAA has different rules for different people but seems to do nothing more than interview all day every day without ever employing (too busy being forced to take back the ones that were already washed?)

Nationwide states 1500 hours with 500 on twins + ATP subjects but read R150 000 for 1500 hours, give your CV to the right person on the right day and you're in!

Good luck.