PDA

View Full Version : How Many Out There Would Work In Australia IF You Could?

lame
7th Jun 2001, 08:09
This is a serious question...........

I have been led to believe that there may be an opportunity coming up for Engineers from outside Australia, to work for one of our Major Australian Airlines.

There would not be a problem with work permits etc, and assuming your Licence can be converted easily, how many would actually be interested?

Those that are interested, why would you be interested? That is the money, lifestyle, other reasons???

------------------
"I USED to be a PPRuNaholic, but now I'm CURED"

Bus429
7th Jun 2001, 08:18
All of the above. What's their email address?

------------------
Bus429 - the pilot's pal!

lame
7th Jun 2001, 08:27
Bus429,

Thank you for your reply.

As I said I believe the offer will be coming, NOT yet on offer.

Just trying to find out whether or not there are many interested, and why?

IF you are interested, where are you now, I don't expect you to post your address, just which Country? And why would you be interested in moving to Australia to work? I believe it is the best place on Earth, but what are the reasons others would like to work here???

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

diwai
7th Jun 2001, 10:09
I would love to come home, LAME ,where would the offerings be. I hold both A&C here in the UK and in Aust, please keep me posted.

lame
7th Jun 2001, 13:05
diwai,

No worries, you have no email listed though?

If you would like to email me.

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

spannersatcx
7th Jun 2001, 13:35
lame, interesting question, however to be tempted away from the UK the deal would have to be worthwhile. In all seriousness the pay would have to be not less than 100000 Aus$, at todays rate that is about 37000GBP, plus other benefits. Would the airline in question be able to offer this?

DoctorA300
7th Jun 2001, 13:43
Put the shrimps on the barbie, and drop me a line ANYTIME
Brgds
Doc

lame
7th Jun 2001, 13:50
Spanners,

It IS possible to earn that much with the majors on line maintenance, but I don't think they would guarantee it?

Doc,

No worries...........

------------------

spannersatcx
7th Jun 2001, 13:59
Thanks I know someone who wants to go there from the UK, he has rite of abode, due he married a Shiella. I'll point him in this direction.

aeroguru
7th Jun 2001, 15:05
Yes I'd go tomorrow mate.Love the place.Went there at every opportunity when I worked in the far east for ten years.
Very much regret not going when I was younger and had the chance twice and didn't make it for various reasons.

ragspanner
8th Jun 2001, 01:39
Where about's in the country ?.
Reasons : A/ Climate.
B/ people (no airs & graces).
C/ Standard of living.
D/ A good place to raise my girl.
E/ good restaurants,beer,wine.
F/ to far for the 'outlaws' to
come for the weekend !.

I would be very interested,currently hold UK
A,C & 'X'Elect & A&P, working A300's.
The dough would have to be a consideration,
also working conditions,pension etc.
When you know tell us more.

Penn Doff
8th Jun 2001, 01:50
Go on then LAME count me in, better be enough VB to go around mate!!!!

------------------
"please report further"

lame
8th Jun 2001, 01:53
Penn Doff,

No worries.

I take it would be interested in a position in Melbourne then????????

IF you are interested in Brisbane you would be better asking for XXXX........

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

FNQTech
8th Jun 2001, 02:22
I have sighted a letter of offer for positions for line maintenance LAME's at Canberra, paying $95K fixed salary. And that is not from a major. The rates where I work are closer to 65K before overtime.

Blacksheep
8th Jun 2001, 11:26
My earlier experience with Aussie recruiting suggests they will be looking for low-wage "starters."

In 1989 Ansett arrived in town on a world-wide recruiting drive, doing walk-in interviews. They had plenty of jobs for LAEs with minimum cover to start at the bottom. The pay was too low for a family to live on though. Fair enough, they wanted young folks to go out and make a start at the bottom in the normal way.

If I was young and single, never mind the starting pay or the location, I'd be off like a shot.

Through difficulties to the cinema

brame
8th Jun 2001, 12:06
G'Day lame (and other posters). I wish I know where you got your info from for this post. There is not many engineers working in Aust, getting $A100,000PA. Some senior managers may, some overtime hounds may and no one in GA is. Most of the gingerbeers that I know that work for the majors are unhappy and ready to leave. So, not to throw a wet blanket on anyone but, if you are earning this kind of money where you are, stay put......

Diablo
8th Jun 2001, 13:18
Are Ansett still in the cack with regards to their 767's? The trouble they had at the start of the year could mean people with 767 cover could be very attractive to them at the moment. Where do they do all their maintenance?

growler
8th Jun 2001, 17:32
I courted with Ansett back in 89 when they tried recruiting in UK. The money they offered then was similar to UK salary and they claimed that I would have a higher standard of living in Sydney or Melbourne. It was all a bit acedemic in the end as I failed the Licence exam. They offered me a mech's job, but Mrs Growler was none too keen.
I have since obtained CASA licence with 757, 737, 767 and A320 type ratings. I would love to go there, but now with 3 kids in tow I would have an even harder job convincing Mrs G. I would like to keep updated on developments though LAME just in case.
Reasons for :
climate
good place to bring up kids??
quality of life (if the soaps are to be believed!!)

Penn Doff
8th Jun 2001, 20:16
Lame
I am not choosey I will drink either (or both), prefer VB though. Just need the job first, beer and barby come later!!!!

------------------
"please report further"

[This message has been edited by Penn Doff (edited 08 June 2001).]

jetfueldrinker
8th Jun 2001, 23:31
This would depedn on several factors:-

Would I be able to persuade Mrs Jetfueldrinker that it would be a good idea to go to Aus as we are not exactly 21 any more

What the relocation package would consist of

Would I really have to take my teenage kids with me?

Would I get the asking price for my house and what the property price is like in Aus

How much agro would I have converting a BCAR A & C license to a CASA license

What the salary vs cost of living is like with the potential new employers

And if I got there and discovered that Aus was not what I thought it would be, what then?

There are far too many ifs and buts, but if I were 20 years younger..........who knows?

lame
9th Jun 2001, 00:23
Thank you all for your replies, will advise as soon as there is any news.

Penn Doff, NO it doesn't really matter, but you WILL have to get used to drinking it COLD....... NONE of this warm beer........

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheers.gif

------------------

hangacat
9th Jun 2001, 10:17
Forstaff at Avalon near Geelong in Victoria are recruiting. Permanent positions working Qantas B747 Heavy Maintenance, currently looking for Mechanical, Structures and Avionics. Advertised in local Aussie papers recently, rumour has it that they are about to advertise in UK also. email for resumes in paper was [email protected]
Hangacat

lame
9th Jun 2001, 12:05
hangacat,

I am sure that is true, if anyone out there is interested in those positions?

However that is NOT the work I was refering to.

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

Jango
9th Jun 2001, 13:45
Most folks seem to agree a move down-under is good for climate, standard of living etc, but over the years it seems to me that the airline industry is just as volatile and uncertain as it is in Europe? (if not more so) What guarantees do these companies give about the security of the position?

Its all very well moving around the UK and maybe getting shut-down after 2 years, but moving lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels down-under to just get your kids settled in school and then being wound up! (Compass, Impulse...) Even being an expat with the likes of SQ or EK, if you know you are on a 2 year contract, you know where you stand at least.

If I were young, single and had me health...I'd be there in a flash.

------------------
Old age and treachery will always triumph over youth and enthusiasm.

oz dog
9th Jun 2001, 17:04
Avalon in Victoria is paying SH*t house money for ame's it's 32k australian pa as a contractor and 47k oz pa as lame contractor,and Qf is paying the same.That's 11k pounds stirling and 15k pounds stirling respectively.Not very easy to live on,in fact it's impossible as an ame on that wage with a family.The sun may shine down here but when you need 2 jobs to live,you may as well stay in rain old england.

prunehead
9th Jun 2001, 17:38
Hey LAME,

Does the airline intend to offer the positions to Australian LAME's as well or will they just advertise overseas claiming that they couldn't find anyone here in AUS, and at the same time request of the immigration department special treatment based on this claim??

lame
10th Jun 2001, 00:59
Hi prunehead,

You already know my thoughts on that from "Dunnunda".

My understanding is that there is to be a very big recruitment drive, YES of course open to locals, would be easier and cheaper for them anyway? However as they do not expect to be able to find the necessary numbers locally, plans are being made to recruit from other Countries as well.

I was just trying to find out IF many Engineers would be interested in working here, and if so, what would be the attractions?

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

lame
10th Jun 2001, 01:13
oz dog,

Do not know anything about the operation at Avalon, but as I said before, this is NOT, repeat NOT for Avalon.........

The figures you quote, even with our very low conversion rate, are not quite that bad, the LAME rate (you give in $A) would convert to over 17K Sterling?

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

roo 2
10th Jun 2001, 01:47
that may be a 17k start here in oz fot lame's,but isn't the approx starting wage in the UK 20k stirling for an ame

lame
10th Jun 2001, 06:50
roo 2,

If you are asking me, I honestly don't know?

As I have pointed out several times, I am just curious that IF the money on offer here is NOT that good compared to the UK? What is it that does, or will, attract Engineers to Australia?????

As some have pointed out already, the lifestyle, cost of living, cost of housing (in Brisbane anyway, not so much probably Melbourne or Sydney) etc.....

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

prunehead
10th Jun 2001, 07:31
LAME and posters,

I recently visited the UK on holidays and the thing that starteled me the most was wages retative to the cost of living there.

If the two easiest things I could compare the costs of were the price of a beer and the price of a big mack, the we get three beers for the price of one there and we get two big macks for the price of one there.

Looking at it in the most objective way I could, it looked to me to be greatly advantageous economically for me to live and work as a LAME in AUS, where I estimate that I would be around thirty percent better off.

These figures were guesometrics, and if you want to do the world traveller thing then earning Australian pueso's certainly is a waste of time for you, but then if you are in Australian aviation, you get to be an ocasional world traveller and somebody else pays you to do it!!

Just food for thought.

lame
10th Jun 2001, 07:42
Oh sure, like the cost of beer would interest Engineers????

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/guin.gif

Cheers..............

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheers.gif

------------------

spannersatcx
10th Jun 2001, 07:43
Been there, seen it done it got the t-shirt, Had the barbie! Although Aus is not for me personally, reading somewhat between the lines - it has been suggested in the UK/EU that there is a shortage of Licenced Aircraft Engineers(technicians)and now it appears that the same is true for Australia. So much so that the old phrase of 'if you don't like it 'go away!' there are plenty more fish in the sea is no longer true, and 'The Management' now seem to know this, at least they do where I am.
Is this not now the opportunity to say if you want/need me (qualifications/experience) this is how much it is going to cost you for my services!

bitetest
10th Jun 2001, 21:05
Lame, would love to work in oz, reasons..cold cheap beer, loadsa house for little money, and sunshine..what else is there? currently employed in africa on the line for big airline, due back to blighty at the end of the year, dont want to live in uk/us. are casa coming in line with jar??

lame
11th Jun 2001, 00:00
bitetest,

No worries.

Not sure about the Licence situation yet, however one of the other interested Engineers have spoken to CASA, and been told that they were already looking to simplify the conversion process in general.

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

Flying Banana
11th Jun 2001, 05:27
LAME, do you know what the job situation is like in Oz for technicians? My application for residency is in progress and I'm hoping to ship myself out in about twelve months time.

If exams go according to plan will have JAR 66 B2 (Avionic) Licence. Im an avionic tech, ten yrs experience with major airlines, experience on 737/747/757/767/bit of 777/A320 n 321/DC10 and 1011 plus a year playing with Mr Honda's touring cars.

Reasons for moving; lifestyle,weather,people,cold beer and not having to look at Emperor Blair's smug grin in the press every day!

lame
11th Jun 2001, 05:45
Flying Banana,

Well if your profile is correct? Don't think there would be much hope for you......

Seriously though, not much work around at present, but that is the idea of this thread. I believe that there IS going to be a big recruitment drive shortly, and I was just wondering what would attract, if anything, Engineers from other Countries to come to Australia to work?

You obviously are already trying to.....

Best regards,

"lame"

------------------

Pen Power
12th Jun 2001, 02:53
Will be down your neck of the woods early next year , visas all sorted. Would be very interested in any news ref jobs , looking at converting UK A&C at the moment. Money might not be as good as here at the moment , but hey money isn't everything , quality of life counts for alot. Keep up the good work LAME.

lame
14th Jun 2001, 05:08
Still no official word yet?

Will post details here ASAP.

------------------

rover2701
7th Jul 2001, 23:39
Spent 2 years in OZ working for BAe as Tech.Rep. on 146/RJ attached to National Jet Systems. They operate for QUANTAS throughout Australia. Their main maintenance base is in Adelaide, S.A. With an additional facility in Perth W.A.Both city's are fine places to live, but if I had to pick one it would be Adelaide. They have fleet of 146/RJ, DH dash 8s and a couple of Lear Jets for ad hoc charter. From my experience NJS are always on the lookout for well qualified LAE's. However the pay isnt that great. Roundabout $35K to $40K when I was there in 1997. Drop them a line. Cant remember their address, but they do have a website, and I am sure that their address is posted on it. :cool:

lame
27th Aug 2001, 10:19
Ansett (ANNZES) have now advertised for LAMEs and AMEs for heavy maintenance in Brisbane, see details on the other thread "Message For Penn Doff"........

Le Pen
28th Aug 2001, 23:05
Hiya,
Looked good there for a bit LAME then those two most hated words in the English language popped up.......HEAVY MAINTENANCE :eek:

Still would be interested in Line Maint. Currently earn 45k UKL after tax.

Want to come an play :D

Love

LP

innocent bystander
29th Aug 2001, 02:29
hi lepen, been doing some contracting in the uk the money there is very, very good, if you dont mind doing a lot of hours 60 -70 a week. i haven't heard of people over here getting that, mind you they say money is not everything , but it's the closest thing to it,if the uk only had better weather!!! :D :D

lame
29th Aug 2001, 08:09
Le Pen,

Yes, the positions are in heavy maintenance only, definitely not on the line.......

IF they were for the line, they would probably NOT need to advertise.

Best regards,

"lame"

aeroguru
29th Aug 2001, 13:43
I think anyone wanting to go should do so now and not miss the refugee boat.
If you look at many threads here and listen to news of aviation, I honestly don't think there will be any heavy maintenance done in Europe, USA or Oz in less than 10 years time.
FAA and JAA will approve all the huge facilities in China/far east amd the local mechanics there will all be CASA/JAR/FAA qualified and work for a bowl of rice. :rolleyes:

lame
31st Aug 2001, 12:35
Le Pen (and others?),

Ansett now also advertising for Avionics LAMEs for Sydney LINE Maintenance.

See thread "Message For Penn Doff"

Best regards,

"lame"

:D

rpm
31st Aug 2001, 15:51
Are there any positions open working for any of the American airlines? Otherwise, would not be worthwile.

aeroguru
31st Aug 2001, 16:13
Oh dear looks as if it's too late for me!
Just looked at the Aussie immigratin page and age limit for skilled workers to migrate is 45.
They obviously don't want any old farts? :rolleyes:

lame
1st Sep 2001, 06:20
No problem, do what thousands of others are doing, fly to Indonesia then pay the Indonesians for a short ride in a leaky old boat to Christmas Island, there declare yourself a refugee...........

:rolleyes: :eek: ;) :D

Leatherman
1st Sep 2001, 15:23
Ah but I've not been threatened by the Taliban.Just the missus,which is probably worse.
And would I be picked up by some nice Norwegian captain?Hello sailor!And would those nice Aussie SAS guys come to visit me?
Nah, I think if I visit Polynesia I want to see grass skirts and cocunet shell bras. :cool: ;)

roo 2
4th Sep 2001, 01:05
the rates of pay will be sh*t house i would say.In Melbourne at the moment the rates of pay are so low at Avalon (working on 747 classics)that they are using FORD assembly plant workers.About 5.5 pounds stirling an hour and trust me the cost of living is not that cheap.

lame
6th Sep 2001, 02:50
Just a note of caution, IF anyone is considering the previously mentioned jobs with Ansett, PLEASE read the current threads on Dunnunda...... There is a distinct possibility that Ansett may not survive, at least in its current form, after next week.

trapper
8th Sep 2001, 03:39
thanks but no thanks

lame
14th Sep 2001, 10:56
In case anyone has not heard, Ansett and all their associated Airlines have now ceased operations and closed down.

lame
16th Sep 2001, 13:47
I believe so.

I have been told by a fellow PPRuNer that interviews that were to be held in Europe very shortly for LAMEs, have been called off as the Australian Government will not now just rubber stamp Visas, after the loss of all these jobs at Ansett.