PDA

View Full Version : Dear Dorothy

Brian Abraham
7th Jul 2005, 08:21
Dear Dorothy,
I recently received the following from a friend,

“Naval Aviator:
On a carrier, the Naval Aviator looks over at the Catapult Officer
("Shooter") who gives the run up engines signal by rotating his finger above his head..

The pilot pushes the throttle forward, verifies all flight controls are operational, checks all gauges, and gives the Cat officer a brisk salute, continuing the Navy / Marine tradition of asking permission to leave the ship.

The Cat officer drops to one knee while swooping his arm forward and pointing down deck, granting that permission. The pilot is immediately catapulted and becomes airborne.

Army:
If you've ever seen an Army helicopter pilot preparing for takeoff, you will note that the pilot gives the ground guy a thumbs up before he is given hover and takeoff signals. There are two theories about the origin of this gesture. One is that it is to show that the pilot has identified which of his fingers is the thumb so that he will be able to properly operate his controls. The most compelling theory says that this is to show the ground crewman that the pilot indeed knows which direction is up.”

I flew both planks and helos with the Navy, helos with the Army and planks and helos civilly. I’m confused, what gesture do I give before committing the sin of aviation. My wife suggests giving the sign of the cross, but I am an atheist.

Please help,
Brian

PS I’ve noticed the Air Force salutes – what does that mean?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
7th Jul 2005, 10:16
Army pilots use their thumb as in the interests of Political Correctness the middle finger was felt to be inappropriate.............

Who is Dorothy ??

Cheers,

NEO.

Ascend Charlie
7th Jul 2005, 10:24
In the Oz air force, the thumb is used, but it is horizontal (pointing back over your shoulder) and jerked backwards.

This is the sign to the groundie meaning:

"Get the f*** out of my way, I am going flying!"

212man
7th Jul 2005, 10:45
This explanation is posted on the crew room notice board here.

The 'bit' about the air force says "the crew chief waits for the pilot to give a thumbs up. This is the last piece in the safety chain that confirms the pilot is not getting airborne with his thumb up his a**e."

(The language suggests it's all American in origin)