PDA

View Full Version : London Southend/Olympics

tilewood
6th Jul 2005, 19:37
London Southend airport with it's new combined terminal and
railway station will offer a train journey time to Stratford of just 35 minutes.

Sounds like good news to me!

jamesbrownontheroad
6th Jul 2005, 20:24
And for our most unfortunate friends across the Channel, it'll soon take just over two hours from Paris to Stratford International station (on the new Channel Tunnel rail link to St. Pancras).

So they really won't have to carry on feeling so glum.

:E

WHBM
7th Jul 2005, 19:59
This station has been proposed for the last 40 years - during which time Southend has lost all its passenger traffic !

AlanM
7th Jul 2005, 22:26
Yes gggreat news.

Flying around outside controlled airpsace knowing you are primary contact only to the controller.

Not sure I would like to be on an airliner surrounded by not-speaking-to-ATC aircraft.

(Nothing against the lovely EGMC boys and girls)

Red Four
7th Jul 2005, 22:45
Not sure I would like to be on an airliner surrounded by not-speaking-to-ATC aircraft.

Unlike those airliners that keep failing to be contained in the London City CTR. How is the Thames Radar primary radar coverage outside CAS to the east of the CTR by the way??

niknak
7th Jul 2005, 23:03
So everyone in Southend can get to the Olympics in 35 mins...

That's nice, but I can't see why anyone else would want to go to Southend just to get to the Olympics:confused:

1 - Every other town/city/hamlet in the UK can get to London without having to go to Southend.

2 - Everyone from the rest of the world can get to the Olympics without having to go via Southend.

and

3 - Can anyone in Southend afford the train fare AND the average £50 ticket price for the top events...? :E

AlanM
8th Jul 2005, 09:21
errrr when do they leave CAS when into LCY???

HZ123
8th Jul 2005, 18:51
As stated lots of talk and little if any action. The present FLYBE flight I am told averages 60 pax so the locals are not that bothered, perhaps better served with a 1000 houses on the airfield it could house the competitors.

Red Four
8th Jul 2005, 20:18
errrr when do they leave CAS when into LCY??? AlanM asked.
Who mentioned 'into'? (although I know of a few.)

From a consultation on the EGLC CTA creation, section 4:

'A study was carried out between June and December 2001. This documented 26 occasions when aircraft departing from Runway 10 on SIDs flew outside controlled airspace, and one from Rwy28 flew outside CAS. This was due to the limited distance aircraft have to travel before reaching the CTR boundary, combined with the initial performance characteristics of the aircraft.
The aircraft types involved comprised both turbo-prop and jet, suggesting that the CTR is not large enough to encompass current operations at EGLC'

AlanM
9th Jul 2005, 06:26
Red Four you are right.

i would definitely prefer to be on a plane that is GUARENTEED to be outside CAS for at least 10 miles, identified as primary only, with lots of other primaries not talking.

Far better than the 27 out of appox 22000 movements in the period given!

Roll your dice and take your chance!

Get me booked on the first 747..... Any nice sunny day in July 2012 sounds ggggggreat.

Barnaby the Bear
9th Jul 2005, 17:48
747? Have you seen the length of Southend's runway?

AlanM
9th Jul 2005, 18:10
errrr good point!

OK then.... a B737!

(and I was generous with the 10 miles outside CAS!)

HZ123
10th Jul 2005, 11:04
Well they have landed an empty L1011 there.