PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Airport Runway Works Photographic Exhibition

Philthy
6th Jul 2005, 14:53
The Civil Aviation Historical Society is holding a Photographic Exhibition covering the preparatory works at Melbourne Airport to receive the Airbus A380 airliner later this year.

The Exhibition features specially taken aerial photos of the runway and apron works.

Historic aerial photos from the CAHS archives of the airport during its original construction are also featured.

On display is a chart signed by DCA's chief airport designer, Dr K N E Bradfield, TAA General Manager John Ryland and Ansett Managing Director Reg Ansett showing the allocation of terminal space and maintenance base sites to TAA and Ansett. This was decided on the toss of a coin in 1962, nearly a decade before the airport opened.

The Exhibition is on at the Airways Museum, Essendon Airport, and runs until November 2005.

Entry to the Museum and Exhibition is by donation.

Details www.airwaysmuseum.com (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com)

John Eacott
7th Jul 2005, 07:04
Having flown the photographer, I guess I'd better go have a look. After the ski season finishes, of course ;) :ok:

Philthy
8th Jul 2005, 01:16
Sorry John,

These aren't your photos. I flew the photographer!

Philthy

Woomera
8th Jul 2005, 02:25
Aaaaaah just had a glance at the site.
Them were the days when Tower and other controllers wore a dark suit AND tie to work.

I 'spose it all started to unravel when flares and the safari suit appeared. It was still considered outre to wear a safari suit without a tie for a while.:rolleyes:

Fletcher Jones have a lot to answer for.

Now you have to point a loaded weapon in my direction to get me into a suit and tie.

Sadly there are still the terminaly insecure amongst my "power" mates who continue "suit wars" whilst at the same time decrying it.

It's hilarious watching the almost there playing the my Armani outranks your Chester Barrie games as if it was important.:ok:

John Eacott
8th Jul 2005, 03:33
Good on you, Phil. Now get back to your day job :rolleyes: :p

Buster Hyman
8th Jul 2005, 13:40
Tell me Woomera, when you wore the Safari suit, did you wear the white socks just below the knee, or were they down around yer ankles?:}

Chief galah
9th Jul 2005, 01:56
In the 70's, a tie wearing English chap in the old Melbourne Centre would insist that
"ties were necessary to keep the body odours in"
:sad: :ooh: :hmm: :yuk:

CG