PDA

View Full Version : Low hour flying jobs in Africa

bigjarv
6th Jul 2005, 13:54
I am a low hour pilot in the UK and just qualified CPL/IR and seeking employment. Hope to have some fun and build some useful and productive hours before I get stuck into a "career" and "push button" flying!!!!

I understand that there are some great jobs available in Africa for low hour pilots and am just wondering if anyone has any info or pointers on how I can aquire one. I understand that the only way is to just turn up with CV and licence and hope for the best but I am unsure as to where to go, what companies are out there, and well anything that will help my search!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

M

Comical Ali
6th Jul 2005, 16:32
We may have opening for few pilots on light twins next October on. Send your CV by PM.

ODGUY
6th Jul 2005, 20:00

putt for dough
6th Jul 2005, 22:02
From my little experience that I have got from this dark continent, is that most of the operators here are and will take you
for a ride!You basically have got no experience and now want to find work here in DEEP DARK AFRICA .This is what they want to find,no offence,but guys that they can exploit.Mate, rather go fly instruction or do ground school instruction wherever you are and wait for a break with a decent outfit!
Because if you are gonna take a "light twin" job
out of africa or west of islamabad,you are looking to die soon.
This is what these micky mouse operators want to take advantage of a new comm pilot and exploit him/her.You will earn no
bucks and the chances are that you wont live to see the
BOKS vs AUS on sat!Maintenance is a joke and you are
playing with fire.

Take it don't take it.My conscience is clear.

Schweet...

learr
6th Jul 2005, 22:30
Putt for dough is a little bit hard but he's right... what i mean by that is flying in Africa is not an easy thing specially for a brand new pilot. With an Europeen CPL you should try to get a job with Easyjet, Chanel Express, BA or something like that... Don't play with aviation cause it won't play with you !!!

If you got time watch this movie : Whisky Romeo Zulu, I bet you will learn from it.

Take care, Learr

Staalburger
7th Jul 2005, 15:36
Some of the above facts are true about some operators in Africa although not all.

If u are still keen on going for it then try the following companies,I have worked for two and the one's I'm suggesting are the ones with quite reputations in all aspects.A good first job in Africa can be very exciting and satisfying although the money is not always great,but hey I survived it and always had money for food,accommodation and most importantly beer after work!

Maun,Botswana(Okavango Delta):

1.Sefofane Air Charters
2.Northern Air
3.Mac Air
4.Safari Air
5.Swamp Air

These are the best ones there,you will fly C206,Britan Norman Islander and probably C208.Great place where you can live well although very African.7 out of 10 rating from my side

Windhoek, Namibia

1.Sefofane Air Charters
2.Wings Over Africa
3.Desert Air
4.Scenic Air
5.Comav
6.West Air (take mostly Namibian citizens,try anyway)

Swakopmund,Coastal Town,Namibia(AWESOME place!)

1.Pleasure Flights& Safaris(Speak to Mr.Goebel,owner)
2.Scenic Air (Mrs.van Niekerk,manageress)
3.Atlantic Aviation(Goebel)
4.Wings Over Africa

Adventure Capital of the world!

Sky-diving
Fishing
Dune-boarding
Quadbikes
PARTIES!
Great people
Camping and Braaing in Desert
Kite-boarding
Paragliding

and most importantly,great flying,when you leave this country you will have stayed in the most awesome lodges,gone on game-drives,eaten good food,unforgettable experience and you will probably know how to fly a C210!

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY
PS try and obtain a C210 rating before going to Namibia
Will have to a validation on license and do nam medical,unless it's changed.

bigjarv
9th Jul 2005, 11:13
Thanks for all your advice and thoughts. I really appreciate it. Its good to hear both the positive and the negative. I still think it sounds like a wonderful experience.

I'm afraid with a european licence you have to be real lucky to get a job with low hours with any of the companies you mentioned Learr. Even the smaller operators are asking for experience. Will watch the movie thou!!

Stallburger, thanks for your very detailed post. Really useful stuff! So you reckon Swakopmund, Coastal Town, Namibia is the best choice there?! Sounds pretty awesome! When is the best time to turn up and is it worth posting CV's? Last question is will the companies sort medicals or is that my department?

Thanks again for all help!

M:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jul 2005, 16:11
Light the fire and start peeling those potatoes, boys.

I think we've got one hooked...:E

SebasW
11th Jul 2005, 20:34
I know the guys in Nam will tell you there's nothing over the phone but if you go to the trouble of going to see them they'll consider you. Just spoke to a mate of mine in Nam and he says their seems to be some movement over there nowadays.

Airforce1
12th Jul 2005, 08:29
I'm guessing Staalburger, you an old Pleasure Flights boy then....?

Loc-out
12th Jul 2005, 12:18
bigjarv

Well you are doing better than I am and good luck to you.

I am a high timed pilot and would like to get back to Africa but I have trouble getting a response from an application let alone an interview, not to mention a job.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
12th Jul 2005, 13:43
Loc-out
welcome in the club I have the same problem an the same your dream.
I am pilot with good hours and I dream to go back in Africa and I have hard time to find job.
For we call interwiew LOOK OUT many operator will call you make you spend quite of bit of money for interwiew and than they send you back with nothing.Just fun ?or what?
Riccardo Volante

Zedd
12th Jul 2005, 18:53
Its true there are some dodgy operators and they will take adantage of you. You have to consider what your objectives are. If they are money then forget about it. Lets be honest though, with low hours where are you going to get good money anways? As for the equipment, if you not happy just dont fly. Dont be pressurised into doing stuff you are not comfortable with. Simple as all that.

I think flying in Africa is amazing and a life time experience. Generally good weather, great people, a close community and you get to stay in lodges and resorts which would usually cost you thousands of dollars.

You got to turn up or you wont get a job. Sorry for that! Go on a back packing trip or a life time to Botswana, Namibia and Zambia and look for work while you at it!

Welcome... its a happy place to be!

Ossewa
14th Jul 2005, 09:25
Staalburger.

Tell me. Is there any chopper flying work in Namibia especially Swakkopmund?

I want to "klap 2 vlieë met een klap". Fly choppers and skydive!

wondering
16th Jul 2005, 10:22
Was/is any of you guys flying in Swakopmund? I flew for Pleasure Flights long time ago when it was still the Klein´s baby. Back then, there were two 'bread and butter' flights. One down to Sossusvlei and the other to Conception Bay. Has it changed since then? I must have done at least a hundred of each. Overall good time and not your standard type of flying like in Europe.

Still, I reckon since it is only single engine it won´t count that much. Better try to find a job with an operator who flies twins as well or try to move to a twin operator later on.

Best to get a job is to fly to Namibia and talk to the folks in person. That will give you and them a first impression.

Oh, and how are the requirements for a validation these days? When I left, they wanted 400h commercial experience unless one has a SA licence.

BBN RADAR
12th Feb 2006, 01:46
Hi everyone,
this looks like the best place to post these questions and queries of mine....
I've done some research on the net and have been searching these forums, and I'm very keen on flying for one of the companies mentioned previously on this thread in Namibia or Botswana. (ie. Sefofane, Wings over Africa, West Air, Scenic Air etc.)
My first question is to current or past pilots of those companies:
It appears that all of them have a really well-balanced fleet, with lots of singles down the bottom, and then twins and turbines further up. I am keen for an adventure, and realise that at some times it will be tough. In fact, that's the main attraction. I want to rough it for a couple of years to "do my time" for some real character-building. I understand the pay will not be great, but I will have lots of great experiences. Which of these companies is the best to get into? with regards to:
1. Hours Flown each year.
2. prospective promotion and upgrades onto multi-engine.
3. Conditions at work, ie. treatment by staff
4. General lifestyle
My other questions are these:
I have an Australian CPL, Instrument Rating (Multi-engine), and Frozen ATPL. I have just over 300 hours, including some time meat-bombing. I am planning on heading over to Namibia or Botswana in late April to try and get an interview.
I read on a couple of threads that most guys get hired around Jan-Feb. If I'm keen, and pop round to see as many operators as I can while I'm over there (late April), will someone be interested? What are my chances for getting an interview with the above mentioned companies? Will I be too late, and end up hanging around for months?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Any information you could give me would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
BBN RADAR

Mark J B
12th Feb 2006, 06:34
Hi BBN Radar, I can't speak for the guys in Namibia but if you go to Botswana in April I think you will have missed the boat. The flying there is seasonal for the winter months and sp they recruit in Jan/Feb to be ready for the season. You may just be fortunate and find a company that has not filled all the slots but is it worth the expense of getting there if the odds are against you? Come over now if you can or delay it to next year. Maybe someone on this thread who is presently in Maun can verify this, but this is what I experienced while in Botswana.

STRANGELYBROWN
12th Feb 2006, 16:14
i worked in maun, botswanna. it took 3 months to get the job and a lot of miles. if you want to work you must visit the offices. i visited windhoek and swakop also, would have loved a job in windhoek but not in swakop.

the majority of recruiting takes place just after xmas. face fitting in and being in the right place at the right time counts for everything so go now and if they like you and there is space you're in. i got my job in april.

you will not die if you stick to the bigger operators who deal with tourists, your pax are paying loads of money and expect good aircraft.

my advice is just go and do it, it takes balls but ''sorry for that'' quite a few guys out there all year round in the same boat as you will be in, also loads of backpackers to meet who just want a good time(use very strong protection this is the home of aids). you will have a great holiday even if you have no luck with the job.

sb

ps by the way, on the back of the experience i got out there i started with an airline 2 months after i got back.

vaninnam
13th Feb 2006, 17:39
job advertised
Saw a flying job advertised in Namibian newspaper the Republikein last week.
asking for JAR licence and it is based on a lodge.I am in FRA right now will look for it when i am back on Wednesday.
cheers
francoisvanniekerk.com

Beechdrivr
14th Feb 2006, 14:11
Hey Franna!! How you doing my friend, long time no hear.... i must come and visit you boys some time and relive some of the good times.
Drop me a line if you get a chance. Just PM me and i'll leave my details, are you on the bus now? Lekka man.

BBN RADAR
15th Feb 2006, 00:53
Hey thanks everyone for the replies.
Looks like it's gonna be much harder to find a job in April but at the moment I'm still gonna go for it as I can be there no earlier.
Could anyone working for sefofane, westair, or any of these other small aircraft operators in Namibia please give me some idea of the flying I will do. How long usually till you will progress to a light twin? Sefofane mention that you will be on a C210 or C206 for at least a year or two until moving onto the caravan. Is this the same as everybody else?
Also, had a quick look and found quite a few operatorss in Zambia. One was called "Pro-flight" and another "Staravia". Do they also hire low time pilots? What is life and flying like over there?
thanks for all your time,
BBN RADAR

BBN RADAR
17th Feb 2006, 22:29
back to the top.
could anyone answer any of the questions in the above post please?
cheers. :ok:

iron nuts
18th Feb 2006, 12:41
Been out here for 5 years, in Maun for 2 of those and all I can say is just go and sit for a while or your never find out. I worked for Moremi air in maun and there ok.

Jockflyer
20th Feb 2006, 16:30
If you are looking for a job in Zambia or Botswana, you need to get your arse out there soon, like tomorrow. Most hiring will be going on now, so you don't want to miss the boat.
If you got to Bots, go to Maun. Plan on having no income for about 4 months, so you'll need about £2000 to live on comfortable. Don't tell immigration that you're there to look for a job!!
Zambia is great. I spent 2 years there. Go to Lusaka (direct flight on BA from Heathrow), go see the operators. Staravia is an excellent company, but there are others, including Proflight who I used to work for.
Regardless of where you go you will most likely start out on a C206 or C210, so if you could get a few hours on either before you go GREAT!
A word of warning. Don't expect British standards of maintenence or weight and balance sheets. CHeck everything yourself, and don't rely on what the grease monkeys tell you (especially the darker skinned ones, sorry but its true).
If you stick to Bots or Zambia then you won't be ripped off, or ****** about.
Also, enjoy the experience of being out there. I'm glad I did it. Regardless of what some others might say, bush flying is not difficult. Its VFR flying in fine weather using a GPS to nav. Yes you need to be careful, and single engine stuff can always be tricky (I know, do a search on my previous posts), but is great fun. Try flying down to minima on an NDB approach at night into a small hilly island on the west coast of Scotland with the north atlantic weather trying is best to kill you, FAT 21' offset to the rwy centreline, and a 30kt crosswind. Thats difficult!!!!
Oh, and if you fancy that type of flying in Scotland, then I know Loganair are recruiting for the SAAB340. I know cuase I work for them and was flying with the Flight Training Manager this morning who told me so.
Please don't send PM or emails to me, you'll find everything you need to know on the website.
Cheers and good luck to you all.
JF

thebeast
23rd Feb 2006, 17:23
Hello folks a few quick questions related to this tread, any help appreciated.

I’m one of the many very low hours UK pilots looking for a flying job:{ . Heading to Africa to bush fly sounds fantastic. Just trying to do some background research to see if it is feasible. Having reviewed several posts its seems that Namibia, Tanzania and Botswana seem to be the best options to turn up at and hope.

What do people do if anything in terms of visas or work permits?

And also what’s involved in converting a JAA frozen ATPL into a useable licence in these parts? How do I do it and where? (is it a straight conversion by filling out some forms or are talking flight test and exams)

Thanks in advance for the advice:ok:

BBN RADAR
1st Mar 2006, 03:21
Hey Jockflyer,

thanks for the info. I had a look at Proflight at they seemed to have a good fleet. What was it like working for them? did you get lots of hours?
Why is Staravia so excellent?

Also you say to stick to Botswana and Zambia and you will not get messed about. Does this also apply to Namibia? I was planning on heading there first....

cheers mate.

Jockflyer
3rd Mar 2006, 14:04
Just had a quick look at the Proflight website. Lots has changed since I was there (left in Dec 2001). I only recognise 2 people. So I don't think I can comment on what the company is like now.
Staravia is a good company because the have nice aircraft, and the owner Bert looks after the maintainence. They pay well (or at least used to), and are well run, and respected.
I can only comment on Bots and Zambia as I haven't worked in the other countries, Namibia may well be OK.
I think I should reiterate that I've been away for a few years now, and it looks like lots has changed, so perhaps its time for me to stop giving advice on the place.
Good luck to you all, and if you do go out there, enjoy!!!
Cheers
JF

Capt. Glenn Quagmire
3rd Mar 2006, 15:27
I second what Jockflyer has said... Staravia is the best company to fly for in Zambia. I also agree that W + B is , ahem, not really the biggest prority when flying in Africa

Quagmire

sketch
11th Mar 2006, 05:04
Hey all,
I'm heading to Maun May 3rd and will be looking for work. I bought a round trip ticket for a month but plan on staying on if I succeed. I know I'm a little late but couldn't get any time off work unitl then. I currently have a Canadian CPL, 800 hrs (650 PIC) with multi engine, IFR and frozen ATPL. I also have an instructor rating and that has been my source of employment to date. I have always wanted to fly in the bush in Africa and Maun sounds like the place to do it. I'm planning on putting in at least 3 years there. A year on the 206 and then a couple on the Caravan.
I have a ticket to J-berg and was wondering if I'm better to purchase my Air Botswana ticket to Maun in advance or should I buy it at the airport the day of??
I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the Sefofane exams and if they could PM me with some info. Also, if anybody is in Maun now, please PM, it'd be fun to meet for a beer once I arrive.
Cheers

flying paddy
11th Mar 2006, 08:05
Hi

I Think you may have missed the boat.

Flying Paddy

Air Polygamy
12th Mar 2006, 20:32
Can anyone say how much you can expect to earn per month in countries like Zambia, Namibia or Bostwana ?

Thanx for your answers in advance ...

LH2
28th Mar 2006, 21:27
Funny, was about to ask the exact same question.

On another thread someone (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2408240&postcount=7) said a salary of US$1500/mo was not bad :eek: :eek: So what exactly is a bad pay rate then???

iron nuts
28th Mar 2006, 21:40
Hi Guys

the pay in Africa will be around 1200 - 1500usd per month in Maun depending on who you work for and some give you a house others don't but its a good way in and you will only have to do it for about a year before you move on to better pay.:eek:

LH2
29th Mar 2006, 07:14
Nuts, thanks for the info.

The thing is, I am in (Northern) Africa at the moment, and I like the idea of building hours here once I've got my license. But boy, that is a pay cut := Oh well.