PDA

View Full Version : Air France Incident In Phc. Nigeria

Gander707
6th Jul 2005, 08:21
AIR FRANCE KILLED SIX COWS ON LANDING PHC THIS MORNING.
A/C SUSTAINED SOME DAMAGES TO FLAPS AND LANDING GEAR. FORTUNATELY NO INJURY TO CREW OR PAX.

Rani
6th Jul 2005, 09:59
Did those cows infringe the airport perimeter fence or were the deceased FAAN property :D ?

6th Jul 2005, 10:51
I bet that they were pedigree racing cows, and the owner will want $10,000 each in compensation from Air France!

ruma
6th Jul 2005, 10:56
Port-Harcourt Airport for years was noted for Birds ingestion! The other time i was there rwy 03 was used instead of the usual rwy21 with the revailing south westerly wind. But for birds taken over the rwy 21 threshold. Now it is cows on the runway! Holly Moses. What a loss to 'Air France" and the further dent to Nigeria Image.

Deanw
6th Jul 2005, 11:13
News24:

Jet crashes into stray cow

06/07/2005

Lagos - An Air France jet crashed into a stray cow as it landed in the southern Nigerian oil city of Port Harcourt on Wednesday, an airport official said, adding no-one was injured in the incident.

"The plane hit the cow on the runway. No-one was hurt, but the runway has been blocked," said the official, who asked not to be named.

"The airport authorities have promised to clear the runway within two hours. Right now, flight operations are halted; no landing, no takeoff," she said.

"It is a puzzle. We are trying to figure out how the animal got to the place. But the joy is nobody was injured and the plane was not damaged. All the passengers have been evacuated," she added.

Passengers at Lagos airport said their flights to Port Harcourt had been delayed by several hours.

The incident is only the latest in a series of freak accidents in Nigeria involving stray cows.

Last month police in Lagos arrested a cow after it attacked and killed a bus driver who stopped to urinate by the side of the road.

And 25 people were killed in May when a truck carrying traders to market swerved to avoid a cow and ploughed into a crowded cross-country bus.

ASD
6th Jul 2005, 11:42
An Air France jet - any specifications on what type of aircraft it was?

B Sousa
6th Jul 2005, 11:43
Now that is very french. Steak Tar-Tar on the Tarmac no less.

Deanw
6th Jul 2005, 11:47
Must have been one Mad Cow! :rolleyes: :}

oneeyed
6th Jul 2005, 16:28
Holy Cow -

thank god this happend in Port Harcourt and not in the Punjab:sad:

It also demonstrates the competency of FAAN and their "Security" wonder what the FAA will say to this

212man
6th Jul 2005, 16:49
"It is a puzzle. We are trying to figure out how the animal got to the place. "

Well, it probably just walked through the unfenced perimeter!

alexmcfire
6th Jul 2005, 17:18
Swedish media claim it was an AF A330.

praenoscere
7th Jul 2005, 04:59
According to RUMA this incident will dent Nigeria's Image!How on earth do you dent the image of one of the most corrupt nations in the world?

ruma
7th Jul 2005, 08:31
The newspaper say an Airbus 330 with Reg: F-GZCF was involved in the accident with a total of 196 SOB.

I.R.PIRATE
7th Jul 2005, 09:53
WEll now I know the Frogs are rather nasty and all......but calling all 196 of them SOB's......:ok:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
7th Jul 2005, 10:40
Wasn't it an Air France into PH that bumped it's tail on finals doing an ILS 21 a couple of years ago ? I heard they diverted to Lagos and it sat there for ages getting fixed.

Bad luck for AF.

NEO.

BAKELA
11th Jul 2005, 18:54
Port-Harcourt Airport for years was noted for Birds ingestionStill is. She was a COW wasn't she? :}

Cannot complain about the AF catering. They grill the steak for the next leg as you're landing. Fresh from the griddle...

Gunship
13th Jul 2005, 09:04
You guys (and the quote) make me lafff :p:p:p

"It is a puzzle. We are trying to figure out how the animal got to the place. But the joy is nobody was injured and the plane was not damaged. All the passengers have been evacuated," she added.

:} :} :}

chuks
13th Jul 2005, 09:50
I doubt that Air France Captain was laughing when he had one set of wheels out there in the dirt after hitting a half-dozen or so cows just after touchdown. But if it keeps you guys amused, well....

The cows were part of a large herd allowed to graze unmolested on the airport premises. I reported them on the runway around 2140 local, when it was promised that something would be done.

We landed there around midnight and saw nothing amiss, but I assume that the killer cows were out there in the bush to the right of Runway 21. Later they must have been sat out on the nice, warm runway ruminating, practically invisible until the A330 was right on top of them. I bet there are plenty of (expletive deleted) items on that CVR transcript!

The A330 came off with merely a lot of damage. At time of writing it's jacked up on the ramp, probably waiting on a new R/H MLG. If that had been a small jet the crew could now be a grease spot on the aft cockpit bulkhead. What a good laugh!

Now there is supposed to be a 'shoot on sight' policy about cows on the airport.

praenoscere
13th Jul 2005, 10:12
Perhaps they ran out of ammo ....

Gunship
13th Jul 2005, 10:27
Not a laughing (cow) matter at all but surely Air France should also have periodic inspections done by their security team and report this to the airport authorities.

If nothing is / was done - they stop flying.

That's what others do ?

Skylion
13th Jul 2005, 22:12
The boundary fence , such as it is, is clearly insecure. The only short term solution is a physical runway inspection prior to any pre-dawn arrival. Quite apart from cows, anything or anybody could be there.

SASless
14th Jul 2005, 03:02
Cowabunga Dude!

Lots of questions come to mind....

Primary one is how the cows made it to the runway without getting Chucked into a stew pot or done up for the monkey meat stands.

Any reflectors or triangular slow vehicle reflective signs on the things?

If there is any good news out of all this....it was Air France that took them out.

Chuks....what were you doing out at midnight....staggering home from the Crocodile Club and take a wrong turn?:E

Coleman Myers
16th Jul 2005, 16:31
Note from F/O to be on lookout for stray mombies (apparently Zim slang for cow) ... note from Captain that pigs might fly ... maybe they do ?.

Thankfully not another tragic disaster at the "the black hole" ...

Sorry - wrong forum (pesky windows)

Sgt.Peppeh
19th Jul 2005, 14:31
Hey, I was told it was quite hot out there,just the perfect weather for a BBQ. Any one for grilled cow liver in mustard sauce ?
the farmer don`t mind,he is happy it was the cows not him.

COWABUNGA- indeed ! (Grilled cow kidneys in Putta sauce on a bed of cabbage)

The Sarge.

ak6181
30th Jul 2005, 02:21
I.R. PIRATE.
It has come to my notice that you visit these forums to either excite yourself,or probably just to show off your shallow sense of humour.
You were the same one who went after Ricky and went on about his mothers typing abilites!
If NO-ONE else will, I WILL tell you ,you need to GROW UP mate!
Calling people who are supposed collegues,names,is absolutely unacceptable!
You need to check yourself man?
I think you're off mark,and going round the bend mate!
Pprune is for people with common sense,but then again, i guess thats not so common where you're from!?
Chill out man! Go box or something,that should take care of your rage.

ANVAK
30th Jul 2005, 08:40
Last month police in Lagos arrested a cow after it attacked and killed a bus driver who stopped to unrinate by the side of the road.
Where do they breed these cows - could we get a few?:)

ak6181
31st Jul 2005, 00:01
Anvak,
Check your back-yard, you might just find some.

Sensible Garage
6th Aug 2005, 15:42
Nigeria: Air France Crash into Cows: Government Suspects Terrorist Attack

Alarmed by so many curious elements that shaped the 6 July accident at the Port Harcourt International Airport where 196 passengers escaped death, the federal government is examining the possibility of an initial terror attack under the guise of stray cows. An Air France aircraft with the passengers had ran into cows on the airport runway as it touched down in the early hours. The airbus flew in from France. There was no loss of life, nor was there any injury. Seven of the cows were, however, killed by the plane, forcing the authorities to close the airport for about eight hours. Curiously, there was no word about the herdsman.
Shortly after the incident, the federal government set up a panel to investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident. The interim report being examined by the federal government has pointed out the possibility of a terror attack under the guise of stray cows. Their curiosity was aroused by the following critical elements in the incident.

[a] Cows hardly move around in the early hours according to pastoral farmers.
[b] Cows always move about as a herd no fewer than 20 at a time.
[c] No other cows were there except the seven that died and the wounded ones.
[d] There was no shepherd around the dead cows and no trace of herdsmen around shortly after the incident.
[e] The way the cows were by the runway by that time was very suspicious.
[f] It was curious that neither the control tower nor the pilot was able to spot the cows before the accident, which severely damaged the aircraft.

The federal government fears that the cows could have been programmed to cause some fatal accident at that time of the day. Given the strong suspicion of a terrorist act, the federal government is said to have ordered further probe to determine the immediate and remote causes of the terrible accident to a foreign airline. The report was said to have sparked off some red alert around Abuja, Lagos, and oil installations in the Niger/Delta areas. Consequently, the government was said to have deployed State Security Services operatives to flashpoints, as terrorists often do not give notices of their attacks.

Engine Noise
6th Aug 2005, 16:02
It is true that cows hardly move around in the early hours of morning.It is also true that cows move about in a herd more than 20 at a time.
However, everything is now a mystery!!u can call it mysterious attack,but terrosrist attack,i wont buy it.