PDA

View Full Version : A bit confused on EK

GFpilot
6th Jul 2005, 06:55
:confused:

Hi everybody, first time in this site.

Can someone kindly tell me which airline to choose? I am a bit confused after i read the EK forums here. 7000 hours widebody currently flying for GF command hopefully after 3 years, and been selected for EK777 course starting soon.

Will it be wise to leave Gf for 777 or not ?

(wife is very happy at Bahrain)

Thanks for the replies if any. :O

Zomp
6th Jul 2005, 08:02
EK min 7 years, stay where you are is my advice

ironbutt57
6th Jul 2005, 08:27
If the wife is happy...stay put...take her to Dubai, stay 3 days or so and have her get the feel for the place show her where she'll have to drive to go shopping, schools etc..etc...very different lifestyle than BAH for sure...I've witnessed more headaches over here with unhappy spouses, than workplace issues for sure...

GFpilot
6th Jul 2005, 09:07
I just receive a phone call from Ek now. They want me to choose a fleet airbus or boeing and inform them a.s.a.p :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:
So it means things are changing very rapidly in this airline. Before I join they changed my course date 3 times and now probably the fleet as well.

will see:hmm: :hmm:

330 Man
6th Jul 2005, 09:14
GF Pilot,

Be careful on your choice. Boeing will be a much faster upgrade, but Airbus could very well end up being the 310 flying freight. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting into before you pick the fleet.

If the wife is happy now I would strongly ask if it is worth it. GF has hopefully turned the corner and will be a success. "Wife happy, I'm happy!"

Regards,

330 Man

donpizmeov
6th Jul 2005, 09:23
I really do not think there is much we can do to help you. We have no idea of what command prospects will be like next year yet alone in the 3yrs time. Even if we could guess, a aircraft order placed at the DXB airshow (or any other time) could change it big time.
But, you will get to work with a great bunch of fellas, and have a pretty good route network whichever fleet you decide upon (not sure how this pays the bills though).
Good luck mate, I am sure you and the wife will make the right choice for your circumstances.

Don

BBJ King
6th Jul 2005, 09:27
Pick Boeing fleet.

If you are happy where you are - STAY

If you are unhappy where you are - think carefully before making a move. Green grass and all that stuff.

If you don't have a job - well, just remember that you will be stuck for 3 years.

GFpilot
6th Jul 2005, 09:44
I just receive a phone call from Ek now. They want me to choose a fleet airbus or boeing and inform them a.s.a.p :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:
So it means things are changing very rapidly in this airline. Before I join they changed my course date 3 times and now probably the fleet as well.

will see:hmm: :hmm:

Ghostflyer
6th Jul 2005, 10:02
BBJ/330,

Why pick the Boeing fleet? By the time he arrives and gets to 3 years it will be the end of 2008. The Bus fleet will be in the middle of its big expansion with x-million 380s arriving every week. But if my wife was happy and the pay was reasonably similar, same time to command and I had no major gripes.....what would you be leaving for?

GF Pilot,

The wisest words though are from Don coz we have no idea about your personal circumstances.

If you are going to base your decision about whether to move by reading an anonymous web site then you will probably make the wrong call. You have no idea of the agenda's of the people that spend their lives slagging off EK or talking them up. God knows we had a paedophile fantasist spouting about his own imaginary airline for about 3 years.

We all have our gripes, some guys were obviously expecting to join Utopia Airways when they came to EK and discovered it was just a competitive commercial outfit. But most of the bitches here are exactly the same as you have been used to in Gulf so tread warily and don't fall out of the frying pan.

Ghost

BBJ King
6th Jul 2005, 10:17
For me the answer is quite easy and subjective. I like the Boeings better. Time to command I don't care about. It will happen when it happens.
It has also been said by somebody who frequents the CBC that the FO's on the 380 will be hired directly on the 380. But they will need people in the left seat as well, so we'll se.

donpizmeov
6th Jul 2005, 10:25
Once again BBJ nobody will know till the fat lady has landed and been crewed. Even seeing the lips move and having it on paper means nothing. Taking that a lot of time and effort has been spent on organising a CCQ course for the 380, and that FO flying time outside of EK counts for naught, I think this one might be untrue. We will have to wait and see.

Don

Scooter Rassmussin
6th Jul 2005, 10:31
Just remember your command on will be on the A320 in GF and it will be for a long time .
I have a friend in Gulf he earns twice as much as i do as an F/O mainly with o/time .

bigilla
6th Jul 2005, 11:17
GF Pilot. EK don't offer any choice of fleet when you join - they'll just put you on the fleet according to their requirements.
I bet someone from EK management/recruitment has read your post and from the little info you posted ( airline, fleet, hours.....) deduced who you are. Hence the sudden offer of a fleet choice.

GFpilot
6th Jul 2005, 11:25
that`s true Rassmussin here with day off calls and over time we usually do 500 -700 dinar extra and life is cheaper also.

320 is not a big problem once u get the command you never know things are changing rapidly and there may be new chances

thanks everyone looks like I will stay here as long as I am happy.

good luck guys.:ok: :rolleyes:

bigilla that is what they usually say during the interwiew but i saw that it is different in fact and it surprised me as well.

and for the management , I believe I am not doing anything wrong so far and if even an innocent act like this one can make people fear from their management what kind of company is this?

:bored:

MFPLT
6th Jul 2005, 12:51
Why any one would stay at Gulf Air is beyond me it was once a great airline many many years ago but previous managers have destroyed it and no matter how hard they try to resuscitate the Falcon it will never be the same. Etihad has a new CEO and is starting to compete on Gulf Air traditional routes it will not be long before Gulf Air can not compete and again will have restructure, reduce in size, Colombo for example. Emirates Airline is far too big and cashed up to squash any competition with or without the support of Dubai. Not to mention the explosion in India's aviation industry in which the majority of yield is generated...

Medium to long term both Abu Dhabi and Oman will alleviate its commitment to Gulf Air in favour of there own national airline leaving it in the hands of Bahrain. Of course you can believe Gulf Air, but what future plans have they made.

Good Luck

Why did you waste Emirates time and resources if you weren’t going to leave?

Quod Boy
6th Jul 2005, 16:25
MFPLT.people try other options for a number of reasons,clearly GF wasnt convinced at GF so hes tried to test the water at EK perhaps now his perspective has changed.

GF was once a great airline,its seen bad times and gross mis management,a crash but has appeared to turn around after some harsh times.

Perhaps others in the region should take note.

Good luck GF.
QB:cool:

vfenext
6th Jul 2005, 16:49
You just have to take a look at the EK threads to see the level of unhappiness with the way things are going in Dubai. The airline can't hold on to the people they have and the cost of living in the UAE is getting more and more restrictive. Spoke this week to a senior manager from a multi national who ruled out UAE as a base due to the cost of accomodation alone. A decision to stay in Bahrain with a company who just made a 4mill profit and has the best management in 50 years is not a bad one at all. I laugh at people like MFPLT who thinks it was his time that was wasted, and he in turn would only apply for another job after EK had sacked him or gone bust. Don't be stupid,what GFpilot did is what we all do. You get the job you need and then look for the job you want, if in the meantime the job you have improves you stay.

jackbauer
6th Jul 2005, 16:52
MFPLT don't be such a muppet,your theories are definitely wide of the mark. Keep dreaming!

MFPLT
6th Jul 2005, 23:53
It is great to read your post and I do hope my predictions are wrong because it will devastate some wonderful and very professional people at Gulf Air. All of us must evaluate all scenarios and make the best decision we can, sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong. But to state your prediction is correct shows your contemptuous attitude that has previously damage Gulf Air.

As professionals we all should encourage debate so the best options are presented to us. There are good and bad points at Emirates, Etihad and Qatar but also Gulf Air have it good and bad points and by people like you denying the negative side of Gulf Air story restricts the option for the best decision. Basic CRM.

Let’s use this forum to debate the negative issues in the hope it will force improvement for all in the industry.

Ideally I would like to see all airlines flourish in this region, but history in the airline industry says something else. Management move on and those loyal and diligent workers are left out on the street wondering what happen to all those promises.

Time will tell and I hope we have all made the right decision.

vfenext
7th Jul 2005, 08:34
you denying the negative side of Gulf Air story restricts the option for the best decision.
At what point did I deny there are negative points about Gulf Air? The guy we are trying to help (GFpilot) is well aware of any neg points since if you read his post you will find he already WORKS there! If anything he wants to know the pitfalls of EK but you are the one denying anything could be possibly wrong.
Why did you waste Emirates time and resources if you weren’t going to leave?
Please don't waste our time by replying if you are not serious about this topic,you know how that just make people mad!!!

Macaroon
7th Jul 2005, 12:02
Maybe he should change his name to Steven Gerrard.