PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the engineers?

mattp
15th Aug 2001, 17:26
Wondered if you could help at all - I'm with http://www.aviationjobsearch.com THE internet site for jobs in aviation.

We have all types of jobs in aviation and our flight crew, ground staff, office positions and executive areas are well balanced between jobs available and applications.

When it comes to engineering we have literally hundreds of jobs on the site, and a good number of engineers check it out but I need to locate more as there is currently such a demand in the industry (have a look in our engineering technical/maintenance sections as an example) for engineers of all disciplines.

Besides this posting catching your attention can anyone help by letting me know of any places/websites/publications etc that would be a good place to find you lot!

any info welcome..........there are jobs out there for you - I just need to find you to let you know!
http://www.aviationjobsearch.com

topman
15th Aug 2001, 22:54
as a start try Gatwick local advertising, its a good source of 146 and ATR engineers at the moment.

red 5
15th Aug 2001, 23:27
mattp
I recently put my cv on your aviationjobsearch website, approx 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything.Not even a reply to acknowledge that you recieved my cv. Maybe your service would be better if you replied to applications.

maxrevs
16th Aug 2001, 03:37
I posted a message on July 16th regarding agencies and their attitude to Engineers applications - give it a look-see!
Regards, Max

Blacksheep
16th Aug 2001, 06:06
mattp,

We are all holding out to force up the wages. You know the sort of thing; Shortage of Engineers = Massive pay hikes and all that. :rolleyes:

Through difficulties to the cinema

Diablo
16th Aug 2001, 16:57
Get the agencies to put on more info, I looked at one a while back "Avionics, Gulf". How the hell is that ment to grab my attention. When you go to the agencies sites, its just the same. And if you should contact the agencies for more details, all they say is send in your CV.

Look in one of the broad sheets, you get quater page adds for legal clerks ect, with all the details, location, pay rates, terms and conditions. No disrespect to your site, the latest version is a big improvement, but your advertisers arn't doing themselves any favours either. Make the jobs more attractive.

P.S. There also seems to be a lot of duplications and a posting date would be good, on the initial block that is. :confused:

Aerosexual
16th Aug 2001, 18:10
I would have to agree with red 5 and maxrevs, you send in your CV and not even a quick thanks we got it, and we shall be in touch.

Cheers

:D

LBMF
17th Aug 2001, 01:36
You need details to get our interest
Money, location, housng, transport, per diem, duration then can come aircraft types etc.

The trouble these days is that the agencies are taking too big a cut & not passing on to the LAEs what they should be getting.

Also the agncies all undercutting each other just to get the contract. They any price reduction reduces the rate the LAEs get while the agencies keep their fat fee.

Blacksheep
17th Aug 2001, 05:32
I had no problem with mattp's site. Sent my CV and got an acknowledgement by return. Also found a couple of interesting jobs advertised and applied. We'll see how it goes...

aeroguru
17th Aug 2001, 15:14
You(the agencies,)should consider the state of flux most LAME are in at the moment , with re-qualifying to Jaa/JAR, recurrent training, course validations, exams etc; etc; who can even think about moving on!!!!
Also the vastly reduced opportunities for a good regular job within this industry because you are supplying temporary guys to work for example (SQ,SINGaerosp) who expect mega hours and productivity. :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

JetFixer
18th Aug 2001, 14:48
Most airlines and contract agencies want to hire type qualified engineers. They are too tight to train people themselves, i think a lot of engineers would allow themselves to be bonded for a Boeing or Airbus course so that they could get taken on a 6mth or one yr contract somewhere.

A friend of mine is a B737 captain who contracts all over the world, he has recieved simulator and licence conversion training for up to one month prior to a 6mth contract(thousands of pounds!!)with no bonding.

Its time the airlines engineering departments relised they are servicing multi million dollar machines and not toasters.

I have ten years experience in line maitenance of regional jets and turboprops, have tried to get back on the big jets for years but i don't have the training so airlines are not interested. Or i would have to take up to a £10K pay drop and hope that I get a type course if i chaged jobs.

Monarch said you MAY get a type course in the first year, do they want to use my licence or not??

Airlines need to wake up.

Blacksheep
19th Aug 2001, 06:39
The UK airlines ARE waking up. They are sending aircraft to JAR145 maintenance centres in cheaper locations so they only need licences for line stations. ALL aircraft maintenance will be done in China in ten years time. Anyone prepared to argue with the free market?

Alan Key
19th Aug 2001, 15:07
Oh blacksheep,
That's so typical.
You tell us there's loads of jobs in China but you don't give us any details !!! :)

mainwheel
19th Aug 2001, 17:58
Blacksheep.Thanks for saying it.But it may not be in china itself,but certainly a country where non qualified people are paid peanuts.Licenced pay will still be good.
I have an artisan at work,he has done a 2year training program.He can do basic tasks.He earns approx AUD260/month.I don't dare tell him what dole is worth downunder.he is quite happy.
With alot of airlines looking at heavy checks coming up and the fact remains they haven't trained anyone to fill the void,it will be the case where a sweetheart deal is negotiated with the unions to get work done O/S.No-one has seen a peg in the ground for QF's grand plan of a 767 base in BNE.But SIN are putting a 767 dock in place,they are also advertising for staff.Keep in mind SQ are looking,with cash and heaps of it,to buy into AUS airlines.There is going to be alot of work going to foreign shores in the next few years.