PDA

View Full Version : Non-aviation topics here

newscaster
5th Jul 2005, 18:10
Many people here, including myself have discussed things here not related to aviation, is that allowed? if so, why was that guy's topic on 'Qibla wall' deleted, if it was offensive then its ok, but other than that there should be no reason to do so, as this forum does not deal with exlusively aviation related topics, contrary to the claim made by a moderator, its open to all discussions related to the region atleast thats how its been so far.

mutt
6th Jul 2005, 05:55
Non aviation discussions are fine... but religious questions or discussions are not permitted on Pprune.

Do a search on the posting of Old_cross_bound in Jetblast. These topics generally discussed religion and rapidly got out of hand. Capt Pprune therefore banned all topics relating to religion!

I was delighted to see 4HP close the topic.

Mutt.

sky747
6th Jul 2005, 14:57
"I HAVE NO TIME TO PROCESS YOUR RANT"

I did'nt read the posting of the Q... Wall. Whatever it may have been , keep your cool and professional attitude Mr Moderator.

Payscale
6th Jul 2005, 17:27
Nahh...lets keep religion far away from this forum. It a private matter.

Good call

Payscale

donpizmeov
6th Jul 2005, 17:55
I think the moderator does a great job. If you do not agree with him, find another forum. Good luck.
Don

gccpro
6th Jul 2005, 18:57
Donpizmeov and Payscale,

IMHO you are participating in a forum for the Middle East and there is no reason why one cannot enquire over qibla direction.

Until such point when it becomes a debate, then it should be treated with courtesy, the same as others ask for queries about direction, wages, places to go, flight times etc...

Both of you are out of place particularly when you are living in the Middle East, more so when you complain of muslims being intolerant, because you show in this case that you are intolerant.

As to the moderator, H4P is a law onto himself, and he choses when and what to delete, particularly if it refelcts an opinion other than his.

This said, I must say that it also a general attitude that this forum is generally biased anyhow... so I am not surprised by any of it.

Payscale still likes his coffee served right up...

donpizmeov
6th Jul 2005, 19:25
Very nicely presented work there GCCPRO. But, just as we who live and work in the sand follow and abide of the laws and traditions of those places, those who use this piece of cyber space should also abide by the laws of its owner. If you do not agree with it, start your own site.
So in ending...I think it may be you that is out of place.Quite simple really.

Don

4HolerPoler
6th Jul 2005, 19:29
I'm sorry if I've offended some of you - like most, I hold down a job that has long days, both good & bad & there are occasions when I am a little less tolerant than others. I have no regrets in binning the Qibla wall thread. Let me reiterate the general policy regarding posting - this site is primarily for the use of professional pilots; however all other aviation related individuals are welcome to take part in the forum with the requirement that the posts are:

i) Aviation related.
ii) Associated with the Middle East or neighboring regions that do not have their own forum.
iii) Are not culturally offensive or made with the purpose of offending or bringing into disrepute others or the owner of this site.

As for me being a law unto myself, regretfully as a Captain's decisions are not always popular, it is incumbent on me to maintain some semblance of order and at times I am obliged to censure some & control the postings of others. I am sorry that at times this brings me into conflict with the views or opinions of some of our members or guests.

Most important - this site for all of us in the Sandpit - it's what we make it. I think it runs really well but if you're unhappy with the way things are run then please send a mail to the administrators voicing your concerns. Please don't waste the bandwidth if your concern is not a valid one.

Over to you.................

4HP

gccpro
6th Jul 2005, 19:42
The point is not just to abide by the laws Don, but our ability to tolerate and accept those with other views makes us better and perhaps opens our horizons further.

Although there is as you say a set rule for those who use this corner of the web, why should we close it if its a forum? This is not I believe a pissing match of who can piss furthest and by setting this principle you are only behaving the same way the owners of the sandpit are.

Let not the sandpit law mentality affect the thinking of those who lived and hail from democratic backgrounds.

H4P, fair enough I see your point, however, I still see other topics that are not necessarily aviation related so what's the cut off line?.

Ta

mutt
6th Jul 2005, 19:59
cut off line

Religion!

Mutt.

PPRuNe Towers
7th Jul 2005, 10:24
..... and signal to noise ratio mutt. The almost prime directive to all our mods - keeping each forum focussed.

Obviously the prime one is to keep me and Danny out of the nick.

I feel a variation on Asimov's three laws of Robotics coming on. ;) ;)

regards to all,
rob

billy34-kit
8th Jul 2005, 04:48
Bravo pprune!.....I'am sick and tired of this pseudo-sensivity!

Good call!!!