PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Airlines A-320 off the runway at Angkor Wat

Airbubba
5th Jul 2005, 14:37
July 5, 2005

Angkor Wat Airport Closed After Vietnam Air Skid
By REUTERS

Filed at 9:19 a.m. ET

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - A Vietnam Airlines Airbus 320 slipped off the runway at Cambodia's Siem Reap airport on Tuesday, forcing the temporary closure of the gateway to the famed ruins of Angkor Wat, officials said.

They said the aircraft slid off the runway as it turned to taxi to the terminal after landing in heavy rain, but all the passengers and crew were taken off without injury.

Vietnam Air official Toan Nguyen said there were 90 passengers, mostly European tourists, and eight crew aboard.

The airport would have to remain closed until the aircraft had been moved.

``We've closed airport operations until we solve this problem,'' Deputy Aiport Director Mao Sopheap told Reuters by telephone from the northwestern city.

There was no immediate word on how long it would take to re-open the airport, through which many foreign tourists pass on their way to and from Angkor wat, impoverished Cambodia's main tourist attraction.

Flame
5th Jul 2005, 19:37
Does anyone know where the crew were from, There are a number of Irish crew flying with Vietnam Airlines at the moment

African Tech Rep
5th Jul 2005, 21:42
Don't suppose anyone knows the Registration ?

Deep Stall
6th Jul 2005, 07:46
No Irsh guy's involved in this one. First 'official' rumours mention an all-local crew.
All Vietnam Airlines A320's are Seychelles registered,so the reg starts with S7----

Miles Hi
6th Jul 2005, 08:26
Can confirm local crew only. No ex-pats involved. 16kt tailwind, wet runway were the mitigating factors.

A330AV8R
6th Jul 2005, 12:02
Dont the limitations say 10kt max tail ??? VOL 3 people

:ok:

Scanwing
6th Jul 2005, 12:33
I´m not surprised it happend. I fly in there on a regular basis and there is quit often a strong tailwind. And the pilots alawys want to try to land. My company has a 10kt tailwind limit but..... So it was only a matter of time before something like this was going to happend.

The good part is that the crew and the pax are fine. The aircraft is probably not to bad either.

Cheers

callout
6th Jul 2005, 14:03
I have heard that the Thai Department of Aviation has been asked to help on the recovery of the aircraft. I'm sure that Thai
Airways will get involved because they operate this type of aircraft.

Dani
6th Jul 2005, 14:18
Thai operating A320...??? :confused:
I don't think so.

Dani

African Tech Rep
6th Jul 2005, 14:52
If anyones intrested it seems to have been -ASH - that would be MSN 619.

Oh well - no trip - it's not one of my customers planes :(

ENVAR
7th Jul 2005, 18:52
Flew there already. Vor or NDB approach for Rwy 05 only. Landings rwy 05 only. Take-off Rwy 23 only. Average wind 230/15.
At night is black all around. No references what so ever.
Prohibited area up to 5000ft right at the end of Rwy 05.
ATC very protective and concerned about the area. Don't try even to get close...

navtopilot
10th Jul 2005, 10:43
Thai have operated many types but never ever A320

PAXboy
11th Jul 2005, 02:12
Miles Hi16kt tailwind, wet runway were the mitigating factors. I think that you mean the opposite? A 16kt tailwind and a wet runway would be factors that exacerbate their problems.

"Select Pundit back to Stand-By Mode"
"Pundit to Stand-By. Confirmed"

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Beanbag
11th Jul 2005, 09:20
I assume Mile Hi cited these factors as mitigating any blame attaching to the cockpit crew - in which case I think he's using the term correctly.

Miles Hi
11th Jul 2005, 10:01
Beanbag,

Thank you, that is correct.

You just saved me trawling through a dictionary to confirm my phraseology!

Miles

Kaptin M
11th Jul 2005, 11:50
Landings rwy 05 only. Take-off Rwy 23 only. Not correct - both runways available for t/o's and landings.
Prohibited area up to 5000ft right at the end of Rwy 05. It's called Angkor Wat - THE tourist attraction of Cambodia.......but it's NOT "right at the end of Rwy 05."

Dream Land
11th Jul 2005, 12:42
Kaptin M,

Apparently since you've been there last the airport has changed it's operating procedures, I operate there now and it is one way in and the other way out, ONLY.

Cheers:cool:

callout
16th Jul 2005, 02:03
It's not the experience on the 320 I am talking about, its the recovery. It was on the news here in Thailand.