PDA

View Full Version : Anger over 'private' helicopters

Slotty
5th Jul 2005, 12:49
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4598701.stm

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jul 2005, 12:51
There may be good reasons to keep SAR military in that area, but the actual arguments there are complete rot.

How on earth can "privatisation" equal "removal"?

G

TheFlyingSquirrel
5th Jul 2005, 13:19
Well after the pigs-in-the-trough privatisation of the 80's, I think they have every reason to be concerned. I would be. People trust the RN with good reason too. I'm sure that a private outfit would be just as effective, but i'm with the fishermen. It's a tough and dangerous job, and they deserve to have their say.

Citizen Squirrel.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jul 2005, 14:00
I agree, but if somebody's going to object they should at-least get their arguments straight and correct.

After all, there are parts of the UK covered by civvie SAR, and to the best of my knowledge they are doing as competent, professional and brave job as any military provider.

G

Droopystop
5th Jul 2005, 17:39
Flying Squirrel

I doubt they will be privatising the RN or RAF in the same way as they privatised BT or British gas (if that is the sort of privatising you are talking about).

It looks to me as if the reporter asked the fisherman what his opinion would be if the helicopter was no longer there rather than what he thought if that helicopter was different colour.

PS Wasn't a Coastguard helicopter there at Boscastle as well as the RN and RAF?