PDA

View Full Version : Aviation... hardest 'transistion' industry!?!?!

DB777
5th Jul 2005, 11:51
Hello all.

I am an aviation enthusiast. I longed to be a pilot for years, until last year my eyesignt was deemed to bad. This, after visiting many open days for flight schools and even working out how i'd fund 50k to do it!!!

I am a graphic design by trade, and really have only used it to fund living for the last 4/5 years.

I have an overwhelming desire to find my first position in the aviation industry. I love aircraft and would love to work on them, with them or just near them!!!!

I have looked into many different roles, desigining liveries, admin @ leasing agencies, written to cargo carriers @ stn/ltn and cabin crew.
Now, i'm at a loss.

At 26 I need something that, while gaining experience I can earn a 'mortgage paying salary!'.

Pretty vague resqeust - but can anyone shed a guiding light!?!?!

Dan

zedex7rrrrrrr
5th Jul 2005, 13:21
What about Air Traffic Control? They pay well, have lots of perks. I think it's tough to get into but if you can, maybe worth a thought?

DB777
5th Jul 2005, 13:27
zx7r,

Yeah, have thought of that, actually saw a semi-tempting training course locally as well. Prob is i've spent the last 10 years behind a computer screen so fancy a change.

I'm kind of interested in cabin crew, although slaries seem to start really low and many elements are need to boost it up to a 'livable' level.

If anyone knows info on the day-to-day lifestyle of say a euro routing or lo-cost cabin crew member, i'd be intersted to hear. Are the shifts in hours? In routes? Many overnights? Based at a sole airport? etc etc.

Dan

rapg1000
5th Jul 2005, 15:12
Maybe dont give up on the pilot idea so easily.... If your eyesight is just out of limits ie more than +/- 5 hoojemeflips, but is less than +/-8 hoojemeflips, have you thought about getting a CPL / ATPL overseas and then converting it back here???

This is because the JAR initial class 1 medical has more strict eyesight requirements than subsequent medicals. If you already have a CPL from overseas you dont need an ititial one.

So find a country which will accept your eyesight for a class 1.
This is exactly what I did - went to NZ for CPL - then came back and converted.

It is a long way round - had to do an awful lot of exams! - but lots of fun, and cheaper....

....still looking for that first job though.....

silverknapper
5th Jul 2005, 16:15
You need the same class 1 medical for ATC as you will for flying.

DB777
5th Jul 2005, 16:49
Thanks rapg1000

I sent my prescription off to the caa last sept, and they responded with a response saying I could go for my nppl, which I am - although my astigmatism is too far off (-5.4 hoojmeflips or something). I was reading about the US's version of the CPL, and was skeptical about doing it there, although feared it would restict me to n regsieterd aircraft and even worse, would under no circumstances be valid for flying in the UK.

I am unaware of the rest of thw world's rules and regs for vision. I would be greatful if anyone can post links to other aviation authorities medical specs (vision) globally.

The problem I found first time I tried is that no one could give me a dead straight answer on ways to achieve my CPL and ever have it valid in the UK. I do recall speaking with an instructor at Cabair, voicing my suspicions of vadility of gaining a CPL outside the UK.

It's kinda annoying, a 744 captain buddy of mine tells jovial tales of him wondering thro american terminals seeing fellow pilots with 10mm thick lenses on!!!!!

Dan

toomuchradiations
5th Jul 2005, 19:44
go for the cabin crew job!!.....i have done it...it's beautiful!....you dont get too much money at the beginning but lifestyle is just great!....what i would suggest you is to go to get your first job with one of the low cost operators...(easier if u dont have previous experience) and then after 2 years it's almost sure u'll get a dream job for BA or Virgin or Emirates ....
low cost operators expect :

about 1400 pounds a month net
5 days on 2 off, 6 on 3 off
shifts starting at 5.00 finishing at 1500
and shifts from 15.00 to 00.00

low costs tend to base u on some apt and dont expect much overnights (if any)....but staff travel makes it very easy and cheap to travel around europe!!

ATP_Al
5th Jul 2005, 20:50
ATCOs need a CAA class 1 medical. Check the ATC forum for a definitive answer, but as far as I know this is not the same as a JAA class 1 medical and may be less stringent. Look at the relevant section of the CAA website. (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=529)

Al