PDA

View Full Version : Which aircraft have suffered no hull losses??

I.R.PIRATE
5th Jul 2005, 09:44
Hey there all, I was having an interesting discussion the other night about which type of aircraft have never been involved in a crash before, whether it be pilot error, or mechanical failure, or what ever reason. Can anyone think of an aircraft type that has suffered no hull losses before?

Warlock2000
5th Jul 2005, 09:50
..........A 3 8 0
;)

Deanw
5th Jul 2005, 09:58
.......Boeing 777?

sharksucker
5th Jul 2005, 10:43
-Spoose Goose (shortly after WWII, Wingspan over 300 ft..)
-AN 225

both only once build (ok., the Spoose Goose never really flew for long..)

Edit:
IL 96 and TU 204 as well as far I am aware of...
737-NG?
Dornier 328-Jet
EMB 170, 135
C-17 Globemaster..

Cessnafan
5th Jul 2005, 21:27
The Concorde almost, what shame after such a long spell!

Parrot
5th Jul 2005, 21:30
You can cross the IL-96 off the list. They put one into the deck abouta year ago on a training/repositioning flight. There were no paying pax on board.

Trentino
5th Jul 2005, 23:37
actually Parrot it was not an IL-96 but an 86 and I do believe it was from an overzealous pilot that said 'lets see what she can do'
The IL-96 has not suffered a hull loss.

wheels up
6th Jul 2005, 02:10
As far as I know A340?

Spruce Goose as well.

Condorde had many incidents operating for both BA and Airfrance, including bits of rudder that fell off on 3 occasions.

Shrike200
6th Jul 2005, 04:31
www.b737.org.uk still indicates that no 737 NG has sufffered a hull loss, and it seems to get updated quite regularly. Also, there are some Airbus variants that have a clean record, but I can't remember which, so that's pretty useless!

4HolerPoler
6th Jul 2005, 07:22
Air France had an A340 hull-loss on the ground - early S/N cargo door (yellow) electric pump overheated & the whole fuselage section was toast.

Air Mauritius experienced a similar event & were lucky not to have a hull-loss.

Then there were a couple of Sri Lankan a/c taken out on the ground in CMB.

4HP

Parrot
6th Jul 2005, 21:35
Trentino, I think you are right ..it was an IL-86.

cringe
6th Jul 2005, 22:48
A318, B717 and........ Dassault Mercure.

crewbouy
8th Jul 2005, 13:30
if there is any, dont let old J. O get hold of the stats and maybe ''want'' one... the track record might be lost within a few days after perchase.

Kep Ten Jim
8th Jul 2005, 19:33
Wheels up

>>Condorde had many incidents operating for both BA and Airfrance, including bits of rudder that fell off on 3 occasions.<<

Oh really? Many incidents? Or is the rudder incident the only one you've really heard about, and you just threw in the 'many' bit for effect?

Farrell
9th Jul 2005, 02:19
..........Eclipse 500 :}

stressmerchant
9th Jul 2005, 06:20
Haven't checked the records to confirm this one, but a friend of mine who was a design engineer on the VC-10 claimed that the type had no hull losses.

EDDNHopper
9th Jul 2005, 16:37
VC10: 7 hull-losses.
See database (http://www.aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?field=typecode&var=491%&cat=%1&sorteer=datekey&page=1).

For a more or less complete list check Aviation Safety Network.

alexmcfire
9th Jul 2005, 16:40
Breguet-763/765, certainly cool looking and accident free....

I.R.PIRATE
9th Jul 2005, 17:13
Maybe I should rephrase my question slightly. I wonder which Aircraft have suffered the least hull losses versus the most hours flown. Probabaly 747??

Antman
10th Jul 2005, 06:27
Proberbly the Airbus A330.The only hull loss I can recall was during flight testing at the factory,no losses in actual service.

Sultan Ismail
10th Jul 2005, 09:15
A330 Hull losses

There are several examples, Malaysian Airlines lost one through hazardous cargo leaking, getting into the air con system and corroding the airframe. Allegedly on a passenger flight!!

Sri Lankan Airlines lost 4 to terrorist activity at Colombo Airport.

Finally an unconfirmed hull loss with 7 fatalities at Etihad, but I could be wrong with the airline.

I am wrong with the airline, not Etihad, so this loss remains unconfirmed.

cringe
10th Jul 2005, 12:19
I wonder which Aircraft have suffered the least hull losses versus the most hours flown.Since only a small percentage of accidents occur during cruise, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use the total number of flights for a type instead of the hours/miles flown?

Here's one such comparison of aircraft types, based on fatality rates (it could be adapted to reflect hull losses):

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

Gunship
10th Jul 2005, 19:01
On the Military side - the SR-71 ... (me thinks) :confused:

Mercenary Pilot
11th Jul 2005, 21:14
Airbus A318 still on 0.

Flying Mechanic
15th Jul 2005, 19:27
An SR 71 was lost over the south china sea .

Kep Ten Jim
15th Jul 2005, 20:16
And another SR71 in Utah in the early '70s

Gunship
16th Jul 2005, 09:11
Sorry I am / was confused with the Stealth Bomber ...

Gunship
3rd Aug 2005, 06:50
4HP : Air France had an A340 hull-loss on the ground - early S/N cargo door (yellow) electric pump overheated & the whole fuselage section was toast.

So can we say now that the first hull - loss while in flight was only yesterday 2 August 05 with the Air France accident in Toronto ?

A good record so far I reckon - especially if everyone got out in a flaming aircraft. :ok:

Edit : From BBC

The accident was the first major crash of an Airbus A340-300 since the model's first flight in October 1991.

Full Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4740381.stm)

Gunship
3rd Aug 2005, 10:33
4holerpoler : Air France had an A340 hull-loss on the ground - early S/N cargo door (yellow) electric pump overheated & the whole fuselage section was toast.

http://photos.airliners.net/middle/1/3/2/884231.jpg

tyrant
4th Aug 2005, 20:40
HAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gotta love the tarp on the tail:E The french love coverups

JB

wheels up
4th Aug 2005, 21:40
"Oh really? Many incidents? Or is the rudder incident the only one you've really heard about, and you just threw in the 'many' bit for effect?"

Well Kep Ten Jim, here a couple for you to peruse. Sorry to burst your little bubble:

On 25 July 2000 an Air France Concorde, registered F-BTSC, departed Paris-Charles de Gaulle for a flight (4590) to New York. The aircraft could not gain height after takeoff. Fire was seen trailing the aircraft as it came down near Paris, crashing into hotel 'Hotellisimo' and bursting into flames.

30 JAN 2000
Concorde British Airways, G-....
A Concorde which had just taken off from Heathrow turned back and landed at about 1330 GMT after a warning light came on in the cockpit. The chartered flight BA9010 had 100 passengers on board for a three-and-a-half hour flight round the Bay of Biscay.

29 JAN 2000
On approach to London-LHR following a flight from Barbados, the aircraft suffered an engine failure.

24 AUG 1999
Concorde British Airways (2x), G-....
On August 24, 1999, British Airways flight BAW2 departed off runway 22R at JFK as flight BAW1 was inbound to intercept the localizer to runway 4R. Both airplanes were Concordes. The airplanes passed within 800 feet vertically and .7 mile horizontally of each other. ()NTSB

06 JUN 1999
Flight BA002 made a safe emergency landing at London-Heathrow following hydraulic problems. The aircraft was on approach following a fligth (BA002) from New York.

11 APR 1999
Concorde Air France, F-BVFB
The nosegear could not be raised following takeoff from New York-JFK for a flight to Paris (AF002); the crew returned to New York.

08 OCT 1998
Concorde British Airways, G-BOAC
British Airways flight 001, experienced a partial separation of the lower rudder while in cruise flight over the North Atlantic, off the coast of New Foundland. ()NTSB

25 MAY 1998
Concorde British Airways, G-BOAC
While climbing through FL410 a slight rumble as experienced, which turned out to be the separation of a section of the left hand middle elevon (5ft x 3ft). The aircraft returned; large vibration was noted through mach 1.1 with less vibration at mach 0.90 and during final approach..

03 JAN 1998
A Concorde flight from New York had attempted one approach that was hampered by high winds. On the second approach the captain issued a PAN alert, reporting a fuel emergency. This was followed five minutes later by a full Mayday alert 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometres) from the airport.

27 MAY 1997
Concorde British Airways, G-BOAE
The nr.2 engine was shut down due to thrust reverser bucket oscillation (between 0deg and 37deg) at 6000ft and 260kts.

08 MAR 1997
Concorde British Airways, G-BOAB
Nr.2 engine thrust reverse light failed to cancel. The engine was shut down and fuel was jettisoned. Brake and steering lights briefly illuminated on landing. Warning lights reset at taxi speed. The nr 2 engine thrust reverser bucket subsequently repositioned and the motor locked out at 10deg. .

07 FEB 1997
Concorde British Airways, G-BOAE
Vibration evident during supersonic cruise at FL540. The nr. 3 engines surged and then stopped, and nr 4 engine oil pressure was low. A 'Pan' was declared and the aircraft diverted.

?? MAY 1996
Concorde British Airways, G-B...
The nr 1 engine was shut down due to low fuel pressure warnings and a decrease in nr.1 tank contents. A 'Pan' was declared and the aircraft returned.

26 MAY 1994
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-BOAG
Engine nr 3 was shut down due to high oil pressure; on finals the nr. 2 engine had to be shut down as well.

25 OCT 1993
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-....
While taxying for takeoff (London-Heathrow - Washington) the aircraft suffered a brake lock. This caused a maingear tire to burst. Fragments of the water deflector caused some holes in the fuel tank.

15 JUL 1993
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-BOAF
During landing roll at London-Heathrow, the right hand maingear tyre burst due to brake seizure. Debris caused damage to the wing and hydraulic problems. The no.3 engine was damaged as well, becoming stuck in the reverse position.

21 MAR 1992
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-BOAB
The British Airways Concorde, G-BOAB was on a scheduled transatlantic passenger flight from London to New York. After the aircraft had been airborne for 1 hour and 57 minutes, when cruising at FL 530 and Mach 2, the crew noticed a momentary vibration which, in the absence of any unusual indications on the flight deck instruments, they assumed to be caused by a brief engine surge. However, approximately one hour later, as the aircraft was descending and decelerating below Mach 1.4, there was a sudden onset of severe vibration that was felt throughout the aircraft. Although the crew were unaware of the source of the vibration, portions of the upper rudder were probably separating from the aircraft at this time. In attempting to diagnose the problem it was found that increasing power on No 2 engine appeared to cause the vibration level to increase and accordingly, as a precaution, this engine was shut down. Aircraft handling was apparently unaffected until during the manual landing when more than normal right rudder was needed. However, an otherwise uneventful 3-engine approach and landing was carried out at JF Kennedy International Airport, New York. Upon landing, the crew were informed that a large section of the upper rudder was missing.

04 JAN 1991
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-BOAE
While en route between London and New York, portions of the upper rudder separated. A normal landing at New York was made.

12 APR 1989
While climbing through FL440, while no a world trip leg Christchurch-Sydney, portions of the upper rudder separated. Aircraft handling was not affected, and a normal approach and landing at Syndey where made.

19 JUL 1988
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-BOAG
The aircraft suffreed 2 hydraulic system failures. An emergency as declared and the Concorde veered off the runway because of inoperative brakes.

14 DEC 1981
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-BOAD
After takeoff from New York the left maingear failed to retract because the gear truck wasn't level. The aircraft returned to New York. It was discovered that the pitch dampers were low in nitrogen.

19 FEB 1981
Concorde 101 Air France, F-BTSD
During takeoff from Washington-Dulles Airport a tire on the left hand maingear blew. The flight diverted to New York-JFK with one engine shut down due to vibration.

16 SEP 1980
A tire blew on takeoff from Washington-Dulles Airport. Upon landing, pieces of tire damaged the engine and airframe.

5 NOV 1979
Concorde 101 Air France, F-BVFD
During the landing roll at Washington-Dulles, the aircraft hit 2 deer on the runway with the right maingear, damaging the nr.4 brake fan.

21 SEP 1979
Concorde 101 Air France, F-BVFB
An engine was shut down due to a pneumatic problem en route near Boston.

21 JUL 1979
On takeoff from Washington-Dulles, a tire blew. At FL270 a compressor stall was experienced probably due to foreign object damage.

14 JUN 1979
Concorde 101 Air France, F-BVFC
While taking off from Washington two tyres on the left hand maingear blew. The gear could not be retracted, so the crew elected to return to Washington. Some circuitry was damaged after having been hit by debris from the tires. Debris also caused a fuel and hydraulic leak.

29 DEC 1978
Concorde 102 British Airways, G-BOAC
An engine was shut down after departing New York. The secondary air door was found to be inoperative.

10 DEC 1977
Concorde 101 Air France, F-....
One engine had to be shut down prior to landing.

28 NOV 1977
The aircraft made a bad landing at Dakar, Senegal, crushing the tailwheel and scraping the rear of the engines over several hundred feet. The damage was not thought excessive and the Aircraft contiuned in service with Air France, but was withdrawn and stored in 1982. The aircaft was dismanteled in 1992.

Gunship
5th Aug 2005, 07:13
Wow and I always had this "dream" of flying the Concord / Concordski :E

Doodlebug
19th Aug 2005, 20:36
Global Express.

Bug

Exhaust Manifold
20th Aug 2005, 09:47
And i thought snags on the tomahawk were bad!!! :}

Atlanta-Driver
20th Aug 2005, 17:25