PDA

View Full Version : A320 Rating & Opportunities

mesh
5th Jul 2005, 08:00
Hi, I'm currently looking at funding an A320 rating which gives me 300 hours on type as a contracted pilot to a low cost airline. I was wondering if any of you with experience could give a viewpoint on my chances of getting an A320 job with 300 hours. I have just graduated from an integrated scheme and have 250 hours presently. I notice that most jobs advertised say 500 hours on type or 1000 total, which I haven't got. Would Airlines consider me?

Any help from guys who can offer some helpful info would be appreciated. Please try and contain your anti-self funded type rating rants for another time if you are thinking of hijacking this thread and not adding anything positive.

Cheers

Mesh

Doug E Style
5th Jul 2005, 08:28
Have sent a PM.

GatportAirwick
5th Jul 2005, 08:30
Having graduated from an integrated course myself and subsequently worked in Flight Deck Recruitment I say well done on taking the bull by the horns and securing yourself a rating with 300 hours to complement it. As with any investment, business or otherwise, there is an element of risk involved however, I placed people with various airlines who had opted for the same route as you had with only 150 hours on type.
The A320 is the rating of choice and having sat with my finger on the recruitment pulse for a year I would fancy your chances of gainful employment post 300 hour completion as extremely good. Well done, and good luck.

mesh
5th Jul 2005, 12:25
Check your pm's

unwiseowl
5th Jul 2005, 13:56
Most employers want 500 on type.

wheelbarrow
5th Jul 2005, 14:04
unwise owl

That is a general statement. And total rubbish in today's market.

If you have a 320 rating and some line experience you WILL get a job as such people rare as rocking horse sh1t...

try www.thomascookpilots.com

We are recruiting apparently via this website from 1 st August or thereabouts.

I would imagine we would be VERY KEEN to hear from such a qualified pilot.

Starting pay for FO (less than 1500 hours total time ) is about £33000 plus benefits.

For an SFO (more than 1500 hours) is about £42000 plus benefits.

Airbus bases: LGW, MAN, EMA, STN.

Poontang Luva
5th Jul 2005, 15:16
I self funded a TR. After rating, spent 6 months looking for work, (and began to think i blew a shed load of cash) then as it goes got offered 2 jobs. I get to stay in UK too which is a bonus. Start in little over 2 weeks. Cant WAIT!!!

I was modular (foriegn licence conversion) and had 10hrs on type.

Ratings not a guaranteed job. But hopefully will land u an interview sooner. Impress them and you'll have the job!

Good Luck!

mesh
5th Jul 2005, 16:03
check your pm's

Airforce1
7th Jul 2005, 19:09
Am interested to know where you chaps did your type ratings and line experience. I have an ICAO licence +/- 3500hrs trying to get my JAA, and am worried that may struggle to find work with only medium twin- so if one of these schemes work... would be handy, for a bit of quid unfortunately

p2hl_p2hl
7th Jul 2005, 19:37
I myself am looking into funding a A320 rating on my own…i do not like the idea, but I have not had a lot of luck getting a job- I have 150 hrs. on lear jets and 1400 hrs on big turboprops, with 1800 total.

If any of you could offer me advice on the best place to go for the rating and what companies I then would be able approach, after that….

This price seems right, and it looks like it will be at North West ; could indicate good instructors!

Best regards peter.

zerograv
9th Jul 2005, 12:23
Mesh

Go for it. With Line Training you will be laughing (safe)
Just my humble oppinion.

Poontang Luva

Well done!!! .... (on changing from the "street" into the airways)

Hoping it is a sign that things are picking up and we are moving into better days.

Given that I'm still, kind of, on the street, would be very keen to learn about your second job offer you are leaving vacant.
PM me if you prefer.

Just curiosity, you say that you have 10 hrs on type. Were you already doing Line Training somewhere else outside UK?
I have 100+ hrs on type, but that is as Extra Crew, on the jump seat, observing. Don't get me wrong. It has been a opportunity to learn a lot (loading the FMGS during the turn aroung, doing comms and so on) and I will always be gratefull for it. However, I have been doing this for a long time and I don't have a prediction of when I will go to Line training as, at the moment I would not be needed, hence, my interest in your second offer.

Safe flights,
Zerograv

Damienmk
9th Jul 2005, 12:49
Mesh

Please check your PM.

Ta very much

Poontang Luva
11th Jul 2005, 20:32
Zerograv,

Cheers mate ;) to answer ur qu's

Which airline offer did i leave?
Chk ur PMs

Where did i get my 10hrs?
I was very fortunate that the Captain i flew with when i did the base check, offered me subsequent work to ferry some 320's back to their respective leasing companies when 2 particular airlines went bust not so long ago... i was a repo man! Awesome experience and met two other great Captains (all 3 of which im infinitely indebted too) that i still keep in regular contact with.

Line training will definitely get you work, i reckon 300hrs is enough, however its not neccessary, if you are fortunate enough to gain a good contact, a strong recommendation goes much further.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want to know more.

zerograv
12th Jul 2005, 13:41
Poontang Luva,

Many thanks for the info provided.
Check your PMs.

Safe flights,
Zerograv

BLEKE
12th Jul 2005, 14:30
Wheelbarrow,

Just out of curiosity.
Would you be interested in hearing from non A320-qualified pilots