PDA

View Full Version : Another SAAF smoking hole

4HolerPoler
4th Jul 2005, 19:39
Air Force fighter jet crashes
Pretoria - An SA Air Force (SAAF) Impala Mk2 fighter trainer has crashed, with the pilot ejecting safely, a spokesperson said on Monday. The SAAF's captain Ronald Maseko's said the aircraft was from 85 Combat Flying School, based at Hoedspruit. It crashed near the town shortly after take-off. A board of inquiry has been convened to probe the incident. It is the fifth crash involving the Italian-designed, South African-assembled type since 1999. The entire Impala fleet was grounded in November 2003 after a crash that claimed the lives of two pilots. The plane was attempting to make an emergency landing on the usually busy N4 highway at the time. SAAF chief Lieutenant-General Carlo Gagiano earlier this year said that crash was the result of an engine failure. The pilots died because they were trying to save the aircraft rather than eject.

The Impalas were acquired as lead-in fighter trainers (Lifts) and for light attack duties from the early 1960s. They are scheduled for retirement at the end of this year when they will be replaced by 25 BAE Systems Hawks

4HP

Beta Light
6th Jul 2005, 03:01
Maybe the a/craft is not to blame.....

Frogman1484
6th Jul 2005, 03:10
Who were the pilots?

pointer41
6th Jul 2005, 03:27
Makes me livid that people are so prone to blame the pilots - but ok, ok, this is a rumour network. What happened was that the bird ate a vulture, coughed and spit some engine parts too. The pilot made the right decision to qualify for a silk tie, in time, which is commendable. As it was just after take-off, that little plane, with full fuel and full drop tanks, is as manueverable as an oil tanker on ice. Witnesses said spectacular fireball but fortunately, and most importantly, the pilot survived - a bit shorter and shaken, but ok.

Forgive me for grinding me teeth in the opening line, but thats who I am - look after pilots first.:ok:

Shrike200
6th Jul 2005, 04:16
I didn't see anyone blame the pilot? Am I missing some other post?

Frogman1484
6th Jul 2005, 04:38
right who blamed the pilots!?

Parrot
6th Jul 2005, 21:42
Excuse me if I wait for more news .... I have heard too many "vulture" / engine failure reasons .... when it should have been ...sh#t I hit the wrong button reasons.

Beta Light
7th Jul 2005, 02:26
Vulture strike..... Vulture was still on it's nest when it got striked.

ByAirMail
7th Jul 2005, 02:30
Is there not help on the way in the form of Zim. instructors?

praenoscere
7th Jul 2005, 06:02
I read in one of the well known air magazines that after Mugabe's so called democracy in the ****hole called Zim , a number of flypasts by their esteemed air force never materialized - mainly due to the fact that the pilots could not find Bulawayo from Gwero/Gwelu by air.Recently with Zim being involved in the tribal wars up Africa's arse their esteemed air force lost an undisclosed number of fighter (sic)aircraft - due to them running out of fuel and getting lost ... again!Now with competence like this one can be assured that their extremely well qualified pilots will definitely visit our country in order to undo the work done by our current "racist" flying instructors - but please remember the trian does take longer from ZIM than travelling by air.

BAKELA
11th Jul 2005, 18:08
Impala Mk2 Right! Some pilots from "some" countries may not be able to navigate...but it seems to me that some pilots from "some" countries may not be able to count or know their aircraft!

Pointer 41, with full fuel and full drop tanks, is as manueverable as an oil tanker on ice Can vouch for that. Add four 68mm rocket pods to the above out of Upington at 30 celcius and you don't need trees or vultures...just runway...and runway...and runway...and...luck! I had it that day! :cool:

Gunship
5th Aug 2005, 08:36
Rumour has it that the Imp will be scrapped " Sooner than later" ... Brig Genl Pilot in the SAAF 's comments to me ..